PDA

View Full Version : Meg # 7 or 3M IHG with AIO??

WAX2MUCH
03-11-2004, 10:39 AM
Does anyone ever use a glaze such as #7 or IHG before or after using AIO??

With AIO is it necessary to be concerned about replenishing paint oils with a prep glaze?

Since AIO is a combo cleaner/sealant maybe #7 type glazes do not work anyway.

Thanks for any info.

Accumulator
03-11-2004, 11:34 AM
Looks like you sorta suspect the answers to your Qs, and IMO you`re right.

Unless you`re talking about single stage paint, the "replenish the oils" thing isn`t a big issue and yes, the AIO will clean those two products off anyhow. So there`s no real point in using IHG or #7 before AIO.

If you ARE talking about ss, then opinions vary. *I* like using stuff like #7 on ss lacquer and *I* don`t use AIO on it. But plenty of people DO use Klasse on ss, especially on acrylic enamel, and THEY love the results. This is probably a personal preference thing, at least to some extent. And I sincerely doubt that anyone`s gonna mess up their paint by using Klasse on it. It`s been around, and popular, since the days of (only) ss paint.

WAX2MUCH
03-11-2004, 12:08 PM
Accumulator- thanks for the reply.

As a follow up, on clearcoated paint I assume the products are only working on that layer....so a product like #7 would only affect the clearcoat?.......does any product migrate through to the basecoat at all?

Accumulator
03-11-2004, 12:17 PM
Nah, nothing`s gonna get through the clear to the basecoat. The best you can do is "condition" the clear. Note that there are some glazes that are better suited to use on b/c, like Meg`s #81. I myself sorta question "conditioning" b/c at all. I`ve never had clearcoat failure, and I kept some of my b/c cars for quite a while.

WAX2MUCH
03-11-2004, 12:46 PM
Sounds like glazes are not really necessary on clearcoats if you clean, wax or seal your cars regularly. On clearcoats, I read that alot of people just do a 2-step process of AIO and a carnauba or synthetic topper and have great results.

shaf
03-11-2004, 10:36 PM
Glazes aren`t for "replenishing the oils" because there are no oils to replenish.

A lot of people use glaze on clearcoated paint and it still has a similar job, that is to fill in and hide microscopic defects.

On either type of paint really, you can do:

Glaze/carnauba

No glaze/sealant

Accumulator
03-12-2004, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by 4DSC

Glazes aren`t for "replenishing the oils" because there are no oils to replenish.

A lot of people use glaze on clearcoated paint and it still has a similar job, that is to fill in and hide microscopic defects.

On either type of paint really, you can do:

Glaze/carnauba

No glaze/sealant

Eh....I agree with MOST of the above, but not all of it ;)

OK, yeah, it`s not necessarily "replenishing oils", but using a glaze like #7 on ss lacquer DOES "revitalize" it and, uhm, "wets" it in the "rehydrating" sense. Heh heh, we could make this a lot more complicated and technically correct wording-wise, but I think I`m getting the idea across. I recently used it on neglected but NOT oxidized 29 year old lacquer and it REALLY removed the "dryness" I noticed before the (multiple applications of) #7. The paint just soaked it up like a sponge- TOTALLY different from applying that particular glaze to MOST paints. Remember that SOME ss paints are very different from acrylic enamel ss and basecoat/clear.

But none of this probably has anything to do with what softballnut is asking about :o Using a glaze that`s designed to work with b/c paint (Meg`s #81, Mother`s) will make the paint shinier and will fill in imperfections when used under wax, as 4DSC said.

shaf
03-13-2004, 02:05 AM
Yeah, I almost regret posting that, because as soon as I did I vaguely recalled a similar discussion to the same effect by Mike Phillips at some point in the hazy past.... :o