PDA

View Full Version : How long do your pads last?

imported_SouthernZ71
03-09-2004, 10:30 PM
I just noticed that 1 of my CMA yellow pads is peeling away from the backing. It`s only been used maybe 6-7 times. Is this normal?

I generally use simple green in the sink, but last time I used the washer with SG. Switched to the washer cause I didn`t feel the pads were getting clean. Lots of SG residue.

What is the best way to clean these pads? Has anyone used Oxyclean in the sink/washer? SHould I use hot water in the washer or cold? Stay away from the washer all together?

Thanks for the help

LouisanaJeeper
03-09-2004, 10:50 PM
I have the LC 7.5" pads and I machine wash them every time, they are still fine after several uses. I use warm/cold on the washer and air dry.

imported_SouthernZ71
03-09-2004, 11:06 PM
What`s up Rob, get your new car yet?

Are any of your pads peeling?

imported_Jon P. Nusbaum
03-10-2004, 09:11 AM
I`m replacing some LC 6.5 pads this month after atleast 2 years of service, being used probably an average of 3 times per month. So I guess that is 36 times. I wash them after each detail with some Dawn or Palmolive in the sink. I rinse them out under some running water (squeeze and release), then drip some soap on them, work it in, and then rinse again. I try to squeeze out all of the water and sometimes wipe them down with some paper towels, and other times, I will finish drying them by spinning them on the PC (usually only when I have to reuse them right away. They always come out nice and clean.

Simple Green is WAY to harsh in my humble opinion, just a little mild soap and water and a good rinse is all that is needed. I don`t think I have ever put them in the washing machine, maybe once. I`m going to switch to the 7.5" VC pads that claim to be machine washable, so I will try the washing machine with those.

Accumulator
03-10-2004, 11:26 AM
Yeah, I wonder about the Simple Green too. I just wash my pads by hand using hot water and Dawn. Lake pads usually last me a pretty long time. Not as long as Griot`s, but longer than Meguiar`s.

LouisanaJeeper
03-10-2004, 09:07 PM
No, not yet. Still lookin` around...

gb387
03-11-2004, 05:34 PM
For what its worth... I have Meguiars pads for my PC. I let them soak in warm water and Dawn dish soap for 10 min or so the carefully wash them by hand. Rinse them very well and place them on a towel face down to alow them to dry. Move them every hour or so to a dry spot on the towel and it seems to pull the water out of the pad.

I have washed my current set about 5-6 times and no problems but always keep a spare set on hand just incase something happens.

imported_Greg
03-11-2004, 05:40 PM
Like the others have said, I think the Simple Green is the culprit for premature velcro failure. I like many others, just dawn and a fingernail brush or toothbrush under warm water to clean them.

shaf
03-11-2004, 09:37 PM
Pads also don`t last as long if your PC technique involves using a lot of downwards pressure while polishing.