PDA

View Full Version : Plastic convertible windows, Novus 1-2-3, and the PC

JustinR32
03-09-2004, 01:17 PM
I`ve been meaning to try this for years. I used the Novus 1-2-3 system by hand when I first got my car, and it made the back window passable, for me anyhow.

Ever since I got the hang of the PC, I`ve been meaning to try it on my window, but the reason I haven`t is that SOB Hard Dog Sport bar that makes getting the inside a real pain. Today, I figured wth, so I tried it.

First, I taped the edges of the window with blue painter`s maskiing tape. This is from experience. The Novus plastic polish is very hard to get out of the seams and grain of your top. Getting it out of the top is a bigger job than polishing the window. when you tape, cover about 1/2" of the plastic. You won`t notice any scratches that are left in the 1/2 edge of the plastic, and there aren`t that many there anyhow.

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/4/web/220000-220999/220856_165_full.jpg

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/4/web/220000-220999/220856_166_full.jpg

Then, I took the PC and attached a Meguiar`s yellow polishing pad, W8006 (since the window is flexible, I wanted a non-contoured pad, but I think any medium polishing pad would work). I applied a thin bead of Novus-3 in an "X" pattern on the pad, and applied it to the window with the speed set at "3". One "X" will do the entire window. I worked back and forth, up and down, until the polish started to haze. I wiped the residue with a microfiber towel and isopropyl alcohol, and touched up places I missed.

I then took a Meguiar`s finishing pad (W9006) and Novus-2, and followed the same routine, this time with the machine on 4.5. I finished up with a clean microfiber towel and Novus-1, which is a spray cleaner/protectant.

I got inside the car and followed the same procedure. I removed the handle from the PC to get into the tight spots, and got about 95% of the window. I finished up the last 5% by hand, with a soft applicator.

I removed any residue from the edges with Mother`s Back To Black. Think of this product as a cleaner, not a protectant, and you`ll be satisfied with it; cover it with 303 or #40 or whatever you typically use.

Here are my results:

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/4/web/220000-220999/220856_167_full.jpg

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/4/web/220000-220999/220856_168_full.jpg

Notice in the first picture, at the bottom of the passenger side. That scarring didn`t come out. But it`s greatly reduced. The rubbing there is part of the price of having a roll bar, it`s where the window rubs against the pool noodle. There are still some swirls and scratches that the camera didn`t pick up, but they are again greatly reduced.

Overall, I`d say I`m happy with this half hour of work; it took me longer to upload the pictures and type this than it did to do the job. I do believe I could go over it a few more times for better results.

Tom

BoxsterCharlie
03-09-2004, 03:02 PM
Well done. I`m about to have a big go at mine, try to bring it to a good level using Novus (but applied by hand).

Do you think applying it by machine is more effective, or simply faster? I don`t mind spending a couple hours at it, and I`m considering buying the Micro-Mesh kit if Novus doesn`t get it perfect.

I had a bad experience last year with a no-name brand of plastic polish--it took out all the swirls and looked great from the outside but when I got into the driver`s seat it had changed the optical "flatness" of the plastic so everything was clear but distorted, like in a watercolor painting. Perhaps using a machine can avoid this problem.

JustinR32
03-09-2004, 03:07 PM
I think that it`s more effective because of the pad rather than a foam applicator or cotton towel, and also faster because of it being the PC. I`ve used the Novus by hand, and I ran out of steam before the window was done. But it was still better.

Miata windows are already distorted, so that wasn`t an issue.

Tom

shaf
03-11-2004, 06:43 PM
Nice writeup Mosca, great improvement on that window. :xyxthumbs

JustinR32
03-11-2004, 10:53 PM
Thanks! Today I drove it for the first time since doing the window, and it`s a HUGE difference. I have an older friend (70) with a Jeep Wrangler, and I went over to his house and did his plastic rear window, too; it worked just as well. The only place where it didn`t come out as well is where there is a constant rubbing; the tie-down straps on the Jeep, the fold in the top where the pool noodle rests (to keep the plastic from creasing) on the Miata. I kind of think that that would come out with repetition, but I can`t see it from inside.

Tom

derekz
03-12-2004, 05:15 PM
I`ve done Novus 3 then 2 by hand on my MX-5 and it is a pain. Also I think using pressure on the window when it is up isn`t a good idea, though this is unavoidable by hand. I`m sure with the PC you don`t have to press down as much.

Your results have me wanting to try out my new PC 7424 more then ever. I got it while on vacation in Texas last month, get back here and it`s been raining and cold so far! :nixweiss

Derek