PDA

View Full Version : Bumper Covers. To remove or not, that is the question.

Bluto
03-09-2004, 10:33 AM
The BIG spring detail of my car is coming up. This year I am a home owner with a 2 car garage. (sorry for the shameless boast :D)

Should I remove the bumper covers, spoiler, and door sill covers?

I always seem to have water in the seams and I hate crawling around to detail low. The front bumper always needs extra care (chips/scratches). I can set up a large table for the covers and easliy give them extra attention. Taking them off/on is not that hard. I expect 30 min. each way.

Has anyone tried this? Is it worth the extra time/effort? Thanks.

BTW, I do a few steps: clay, polish, AIO, SG, QD.

Accumulator
03-09-2004, 12:28 PM
I dunno, I don`t think *I* would do it in your case. I`ve pulled the XJS apart a few times over the years, but that`s not a normal car to me and its parts are metal. I leave the plastic stuff alone on my other cars, though I`ve pulled rear wings/spoilers off from time to time. Get someone to help you even though you don`t think you need it.

I think you might risk more damage to those parts than you think; I`d just leave the bumper covers/door sill covers on the car and sit on a creeper when doing the low spots. But if you want to do it on a VERY infrequent basis, just be *VERY* careful. Yeah, it oughta be an easy, simple job, but sometimes things don`t go back together quite as well as you might expect. And sometimes you can mar the finish just moving parts like that around.