PDA

View Full Version : What to use on new car vinyl?

Pages : [1] 2

jlfrogy
03-09-2004, 10:24 AM
Hi guys.... I have just purchased my first brand new car in over a decade and although I think I was pretty good at what products to use on my corvette which I bought used, I`m not sure what to use on the new PT. I like the look the vinyl dash has now and am wondering what to use to protect it that is not shiney or at all oily. I use 303 on almost everything on the vette, but it does have a little shine and some oiliness. Wonder if I should still use this? BTW the way things are going financially looks like this is my last car ever, so I want to try to preserve it. Any suggestions???????

airjames
03-09-2004, 11:03 AM
Hey jlfrogy,

congrats on the new PT Cruiser:up

I love Meguiars #40 for everything on my Ranger, leaves a nice satin sheen when you buff off the excess after it sets up for alittle bit. I`m not real fond of the way it smells but it works like a charm. Pretty easy to use, just spray on or wipe on, let it sit, and buff to a satin sheen. In between dressings, I like to use 1Z Cockpit premium for general clean ups. Smells great and does a good job of removing little stains, scuffs or what have you in your interior,,,,,,,91

imported_mirrorfinishman
03-12-2004, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by jlfrogy

I`m not sure what to use on the new PT. I like the look the vinyl dash has now and am wondering what to use to protect it that is not shiney or at all oily.

For a new car I would recommend not using anything, especially anything that could make the vinyl shiney or oily. I would highly recommend using a sunshade for your front windshield. That will help to reduce some of those UV rays of the sun. After a few years you could start using either Meguiar`s #40 or 303 on the lower vinyl, such as the lower kick panels on your doors. Always remember to wipe away any excess protectant. That`s what most manufacturers advise.

Just my thoughts...

Scott P
03-12-2004, 07:34 PM
Try Poorboy`s Natural Look. It`s water-based, has a matte finish and offers UV Protection.

Spilchy
03-12-2004, 07:38 PM
You can use the 303. It`s a nice product. If it`s a little too "oily" for you, just buff with a dry cotton or MF towel.

But, in my opinion, protect it immediately. Start early and keep it coated!

I love the circle terry applicators and foam tipped painting brushes to apply dressings.

Detailing NY
03-12-2004, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by mirrorfinishman

For a new car I would recommend not using anything, especially anything that could make the vinyl shiney or oily. I would highly recommend using a sunshade for your front windshield. That will help to reduce some of those UV rays of the sun. After a few years you could start using either Meguiar`s #40 or 303 on the lower vinyl, such as the lower kick panels on your doors. Always remember to wipe away any excess protectant. That`s what most manufacturers advise.

Just my thoughts...

NO WAY! I totally disagree about waiting a few years. Most of the highend products penetrate the vinyl and help prevent it from cracking and fading due to the sun.

JLfrogy, i use this conditioner that is good for any kind of vinyl. I just cant think of the name right now. I am to lazy to go to my truck and look at the bottle.

I would also recommend Meg`s #40.

Detailing NY
03-12-2004, 07:58 PM

Just my thoughts...

i know i just posted about this quote. but after re-reading it I just have to ask.

How can you tell someone who is asking for help not to use anything on it for a few years?

I have never seen any such reading that states not to protect your vehicle for a few years. In a few years you can damage or fade the vinyl.

I have seen manufacturers state to polish your vehicle once every year or so. and to wax every 6 months to a year. LOL

Most people on autopia wax chance we get. I have seen 1990 vehicles on autopia that look better then some 2004 vehicles. If your asking your self why, it is becuase they maintained the vehicle from day one, they did not wait a few years.

Scott P
03-12-2004, 08:19 PM
Does the application of anything inhibit the evaporation of solvents, etc from the manufacturing process escape from the dash? I still would strive to protect it rather than ignore it.

s2skimon
03-12-2004, 10:38 PM
I use 303 cleaner & protectant

andriver
03-12-2004, 10:42 PM
I use 1Z Cockpit Premium. Leaves a very matte look. Not shiny at all.

vmunoz
03-13-2004, 12:15 AM
You may want to stick with the 303 and just buff down a little like Spilchy said, unless you`re looking for something different to try. I have and like to use several different products for my own car interior. Poorboy`s Natural Look has a very nice matte look and a great cherry smell to it. I also use Black Magic`s Semi-Gloss Dashboard Protectant which I think leaves a little more of a matte surface. Another product that I was happy with was Zaino`s Z-10 leather conditioner that works very well on my dash. It has a great leather smell and also leaves the surface with a matte look to it. All these products have UV protection.

V..

jchetty
03-13-2004, 12:21 AM
303:D exclusively on all seals and interior on my new car since day 1. 8 months later, my interior looks incredible and ppl :shocked when i open my door and see that the weatherstripping is clean, not shiney...but clean. i get compliment all the time. not to get off topic, start cleaning and dressing your motor now, alot easier to keep something clean and protected than trying to remove dirt after it has been neglected.:xyxthumbs

imported_mirrorfinishman
03-13-2004, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by NY detailer

NO WAY! I totally disagree about waiting a few years.

Just as an example, I will be detailing a new Corvette and the owner is very upset that someone at the dealership has already ruined the appearance of the dash by adding protectant. Now I`ve got to thoroughly clean everything just to get it back to looking like new. Not shiney and oily.

Hey, some people like that shiney and oily look over the look of new vinyl. It`s okay with me. However, I would always rather make my recommendations based on my own experience. Not the opinions of others.

Detailing NY
03-13-2004, 07:58 AM

Just as an example, I will be detailing a new Corvette and the owner is very upset that someone at the dealership has already ruined the appearance of the dash by adding protectant. Now I`ve got to thoroughly clean everything just to get it back to looking like new. Not shiney and oily.

Hey, some people like that shiney and oily look over the look of new vinyl. It`s okay with me. However, I would always rather make my recommendations based on my own experience. Not the opinions of others.

i am basing my post on my own experience. i would be made alos if my dash looked oily. But there are great products out there that do not make the dash oily and protect. They will leave a real nice matte finish.

killrwheels
03-13-2004, 08:15 AM
Is this JLFroggy from the corvette forum ?? Florida ??? Did you get rid of the Vette ?? :(

I buy all my cars new, over 10 at last count. I never use anything more than a little water, some diluted car wash soap, and a drying rag. I dont like oily, shiney dashes at all. I also found that Mr Clean Eraser works well at removing scuffs on the door panels. (forum hint)

Good luck either way ....

:xyxthumbs