PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars #16 Pro Paste Wax beading

Pages : [1] 2

Scottwax
03-09-2004, 12:24 AM
This stuff beads like a madman, and like S100, you can drive in the rain and your car still looks pretty good, especially the horizontal surfaces. This was after 3 straight days of rain.

http://www.photohost.org/gallery/data/500/1099Meguiars_16_beading.jpg

Accumulator
03-09-2004, 12:06 PM
Heh heh, yeah, the #16 has the best beading this side of Collinite. That "self-cleaning in the rain" effect is great.

George Wax
03-09-2004, 12:19 PM
It`s funny a lot of my old customer`s believe Meguiar`s #16 M-16-11 is Meguiar`s best protecting wax period..The product is very popular in Arizona because it tend`s to hold up very well even on black car`s..in 110 plus degree heat..The product in general is only well know to hardcore detailer`s the general consumer market has no clue about # 16...I would speculate S100 and #16 are pretty alike in many way`s as well as performance..My old boss Tom Mac Donald use to tell me alway`s remember to put at least one coat of #16 on your top surface`s your paint will like it..

George Wax
03-09-2004, 12:21 PM
I would also speculate Color X, NXT, #16 as a final topper would be a winning combination...

imported_Aurora40
03-09-2004, 02:45 PM
Yeah, I really love the beading of #16. It`s really an awesome product. I`ve been very impressed with it. What got you to try it Scott? Now you just need to try out Final Detail... ;)

imported_Aurora40
03-09-2004, 02:55 PM
Here`s a picture of #16 after a very heavy rain. The car was being driven in the rain and then pulled into the garage. You can see how little of the water stayed on the car. It all just flies off. The couple really big drips are from the garage door dripping on the car as I pulled in:

Spilchy
03-09-2004, 03:10 PM
I just used #16 and topped with 2x of Souveran paste.

I think I have found a winner in the #16. The protection / durability factor with the appearance it offers makes it one of the top performers out there.

I`m a huge fan of Collinite Insulator, but it doesn`t look as good as the #16. It reminds me of Blitz without the trim staining.

Glossequation
03-09-2004, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Scottwax

This stuff beads like a madman, and like S100, you can drive in the rain and your car still looks pretty good, especially the horizontal surfaces. This was after 3 straight days of rain.

http://www.photohost.org/gallery/data/500/1099Meguiars_16_beading.jpg

Again I must agree that #16 is my favorite...that tin can and smell of crayons is great!:up

LightngSVT
03-09-2004, 04:02 PM
HOw does it compare to Collonite 476?

imported_memnuts
03-09-2004, 04:58 PM
Just got my #16 today. As if I need another wax/sealant. :o.

Does #16 cure like Souveran? In other words should one wait 24 hrs prior to adding a second layer?

Bob, does FD or Crystal Mist add / change the appearance of #16? Gloss, Depth, Wetness, etc.?

TIA :wavey

imported_Aurora40
03-09-2004, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by blkZ28Conv

Bob, does FD or Crystal Mist add / change the appearance of #16? Gloss, Depth, Wetness, etc.?

TIA :wavey

Hey Edwin, in my opinion, Final Detail will add even more gloss to #16, though I think Final Detail adds more gloss to everything. :) I never tried Crystal Mist on it. Man, I haven`t used that stuff in a long time now... I`m gonna give my car a quick wipe-down when I get home tonight, maybe I`ll break out the Crystal Mist just to use some of it up before it goes bad or something... ;) I really like how Crystal Mist (and Blackfire QD and #34 as they all have the same smell, IMO) makes the garage smell... :D

As far as layers, I`m not sure how long it takes to really harden all the way, but I wouldn`t bother putting on multiple applications of it in one day. Carnaubas seem to leave a thicker coat anyway, and you`ll get that #16 shine immediately. I`d save the second coat for another day to renew the protection more, but you could certainly try out a couple of coats and report back on how it goes.

I`m glad I discovered #16, and it`s nice to see other people are as well. It`s funny how some of the less impressive (IMO) Meguiar`s products are the ones everyone has tried, but the really great ones are the ones that you never hear about. #16, Final Detail, and IMO #36 and #00 are all awesome. But #26, #34, Gold Class Car Wash, Gold Class wax, and probably others are very familiar to most people here, but they are really not that amazing (they are fine products, though, but IMO nothing out of the ordinary). It just seems funny to me :nixweiss

imported_memnuts
03-09-2004, 06:26 PM
Thanks Bob. :bow

What seems funny to me is that the more things change the more they stay the same. All these new products arriving but there seems to be a comeback, at least on my end, of the older products. I believe this is due to maturation of skills and realization of the importance of PREP and not the value or type of LSP.

When I opened my can of #16 I felt I stepped back 20 years. That smell of detailing waxes of the 70`s. Not fruity or exotic, which isn`t bad by no means and I love the smell of CM :o, but smelled like detailing use to smell like. :nixweiss :xyxthumbs

Congrats on the new house!!!! :bounce

04Runner
03-09-2004, 06:36 PM
Z28 - where did you purchase your #16? Can this be found at autozone or walmart? Want to top some NXT with it. Thanks

imported_memnuts
03-09-2004, 06:51 PM
Not available at any PepBoy`s, AutoZone, Walmart in my area. I try to get it from my local Auto Paint shop but their distributor was out. Goodspeed Motoring (California) had it on sale for $9.99 so I just ordered it. $16.97 total. Great service ( shipped the same day) and UPS tracking # but it took 8 days :(. I just wish they shipped USPS (3-4days).

04Runner, try your local Paint/Body Shop first and if you are lucky they can get one for you without the added shipping.

Check out Autopia Store. I think DavidB is having a special going right now. He ships USPS.:xyxthumbs

Hope this helps. :wavey

Scottwax
03-09-2004, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Aurora40

Yeah, I really love the beading of #16. It`s really an awesome product. I`ve been very impressed with it. What got you to try it Scott? Now you just need to try out Final Detail... ;)

Mike tossed a can of #16 in with my NXT order (thanks Mike!). I hadn`t used it in years since #26 is so readily available. Like everyone else, I am using so many new products, I`ve forgotten how good some of the older stuff really is. I do think #16 has been tweaked though, I don`t remember it being so easy to use nor as wet and glossy as it is. Over #20 or NXT on black is just amazing.

One of these days I`ll snag a gallon of FD when I go to my Meguiars distributer.