PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! 303 disaster!!!

twistedman
03-08-2004, 10:50 PM
I used 303 canvas protectant for covertible top on my car a few days ago. After I finished washing my car and drying it, I found that the 303 overspray didn`t wash off and formed a stubborn hazy film all over my window and paint. I tried FI, Zaino QD, and even some #9 and it doesn`t come off easily. I was able to get some on it removed by using S100 wax. My guess is that the solvent in S100 was able to dissolve the film or the foam applicator has more cut than MF that I used with other products. However, it`s very inefficient and requires a lot of rubbing and I`m worried about micromarring. I was wondering if anyone can pitch in some ideas. Should I do a dawn wash? What about alcohol? Any help is GREATLY appreciated as I`m completely distressed right now. Thanks!

Dave N
03-08-2004, 11:15 PM
I think I would try a paint cleaner or clay. Maybe just try some of the over-the-counter Meguiar`s Deep Crystal brand of paint cleaner if you need to do it asap. Klass AIO may work as well, if you have access to some. Or if you have clay you could hit it with that and see what happens. Just my thoughts if I were in your position...

twistedman
03-08-2004, 11:17 PM
thx! i completely forgot about the clay. I just finished washing the car so is there another method that I could use to remove it? If all else fail, I will wash the car with dawn tomorrow and clay it while I`m at it.

twistedman
03-09-2004, 12:20 AM
Anymore suggestions??

TortoiseAWD
03-09-2004, 09:16 AM
3M Tar, Wax, and Adhesive Remover, or a prep-solvent (available from auto body and paint supply stores) will probably make short work of the residue.

Tort

Glossequation
03-09-2004, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by NTP_JC-Z4

Anymore suggestions??

Razor

dmatre
03-09-2004, 11:29 AM
You could try rubbing the spots on the paint with mineral spirits. I`m certain that Klasse All-In-One will do the trick, if you have it in your stock.

As for the window, if it is plastic, then you`ll need to be very careful. If it is glass, you can scrape it off with a razor blade.

To prevent this from occurring in the future, it`s always a good idea to apply the protectant to the applicator first, and then to wipe/rub it on the surface afterward. This way, there is no possibility of overspray reaching the paint/window.

Good luck.

twistedman
03-09-2004, 12:33 PM
thanks! i will need to get some AIO tomorrow.

Jesstzn
03-09-2004, 01:23 PM
try IA/Water

twistedman
03-09-2004, 01:37 PM
I tried IA/Water combo and it failed to remove the film deposit. I checked the MSDS of the product and it contains mainly petroleum distillates so I will try and remove using mineral spirits. Thanks!

twistedman
03-10-2004, 10:33 PM
Thank you everyone who offered your valuable advice. I finally got all the hazy film off using mineral spirits-now my head hurts from all that toxic vapor. I have to say that I`m very disappointed that 303 did not include any precautions or warnings on the product container. I wiped most the overspray off when I was applying the product but I had no idea that even traces of overspray left can be such a pain to remove. Very unhappy.

Jesstzn
03-10-2004, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by NTP_JC-Z4

Thank you everyone who offered your valuable advice. I finally got all the hazy film off using mineral spirits-now my head hurts from all that toxic vapor.

Its actually pretty safe .. if you used it in a ventilated area or outside even more safe.

twistedman
03-10-2004, 10:46 PM
I was working right next to a giant ventilating fan so I`m sure it was well within safety requirements. But when I am rubbing the stuff my face is pretty close to the paint and I had to rub many places.