PDA

View Full Version : How can you tell???

C-MDX
03-08-2004, 09:50 PM
You know how when the paint surface feels gridy, you need to clay it right?? True but what if it`s orange peel?? You keep wasting your time claying it and found out that those aren`t containments. How can you tell?? I`m not a pro so I really can`t tell. Does orange peel feels as smooth as glass as well as non orange peel paint??

6cyl's_of_fury
03-08-2004, 10:00 PM
Put your hand in a plastic bag and run it gently over your paint, you will feel grittiness. You wont specifically "feel" orange peel, its more a visual thing in the paint and not the clearcoat.

C-MDX
03-08-2004, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by 6cyl`s_of_fury

Put your hand in a plastic bag and run it gently over your paint, you will feel grittiness. You wont specifically "feel" orange peel, its more a visual thing in the paint and not the clearcoat.

So orange peel is a visual thing and containments is something that you feel to know that it`s there??

spetulla
03-08-2004, 10:21 PM
well you can feel it... it will feel like the surface of an orange, it wont feel 100% smooth as glass (orange peel that is)

however think of things clay takes out as tiny little pieces of sand... thats how it will feel. micro particles.

shaf
03-09-2004, 03:09 AM
Unless a finish is so horrible (that it wouldn`t be allowed to leave the factory floor anyway) there`s no way you would mistake orange peel for the type of contamination clay takes off.

This isn`t the best picture I`ve seen of this, but I can`t find the other: click (http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/1992orangepeelsm.jpg)