PDA

View Full Version : I cant explain it....

breakneckvtec
03-08-2004, 03:19 PM
As some of you may know I recetly did my Honda with some DACP and a pc with yellow pad, swirls....gone. Worked great.

Now, it did leave a light haze, only visible at extreme angles. Never the less it was pissing me off. I did a section of the hood with a polishing pad and SMR, seemed to work, then I removed the fillers and although it seemed lighter it was still visible. So I retreat to my arsenal of goodies to think it over. I pull from it....

Klasse AIO. Now everything I know about AIO says its a cleaner and its not abrasive. My white pad was contaminated, and my new ones havent arrived yet so I almost gave up. BUT....I took my mf applicator and did a section of the hood, same location rubbing it in lightly and then buffing it off with a clean mf. Couldnt see the haze anymore. Interesting. I thought maybe the sun shifted and played a trick on me. SO I pull it out where I could clearly see haze on my door, hit it with the AIO. It appeared gone, couldnt see it anymore. I never used AIO to this moment, this stuff is great though, easy on and off and left the paint just feeling smooth.

Now as far as I know if I did it with say a polishing pad, the only cut would be a product of the pad, not the AIO. However it seemed to remove my haze. I will check again once the sun returns. I topped with NXT and the combo is stunning.

I really hope I am not wrong, if this haze shows up again I am going to be highly discouraged.

imported_Intermezzo
03-08-2004, 03:33 PM
breakneck,

I know where you`re coming from because I`ve had AIO remove haze/light marring that other cleaners couldn`t touch. What made it all the more amazing was the fact that doing it by hand was effective also. It`s cleaned up some pretty messy compounding swirls for me in the past and works as a great base for just about any sealant or wax on the market.

breakneckvtec
03-08-2004, 04:26 PM
I was very impressed with AIO. Wish I had used it earlier. AWESOME product. I might try applying it via PC and white pad to see if I cant get some better results. :up

dmatre
03-08-2004, 09:21 PM
I`ve applied AIO with a PC and by hand, and to be honest, it`s difficult to tell a difference.

The AIO seems to go on very uniform, whether by hand or with the PC.

Typically, I`ll use the PC, simply because it is less work, and psychologically, it seems that it would be more even if you work it over several times on the same panel.

Saturday, I applied AIO by hand to the black Benz, and it honestly looked as good as when done by PC.

I`d be interested to hear how you find it to work, as sometimes we`re blinded by our own prejudices.

6cyl's_of_fury
03-08-2004, 10:07 PM
Before I got my PC, I thought AIO was really good, now that I have applied it with a PC it has been elevated to the status of awesome. It is one product that has never failed me and has exceeded all of my expectations. I know that my detailing kit will NEVER be without it.

shaf
03-09-2004, 02:31 AM
Wow. As terrific as this is to hear about AIO`s abilities, this kind of bring up a question:

Did AIO polish out all these cases of hazing with very fine abrasives, or did it just fill and hide them? Or is it both?

I`m just wondering about this, because on and off over the years the exact action of AIO has been both described as "mostly chemical" and "a very fine polish" at differnt times... at least, that`s what I remember. :nixweiss

6cyl's_of_fury
03-09-2004, 03:08 AM
I would hazard a guess that it is chemical, and how it works in so many situations is up for debate.

I dont believe it to be an abrasive product at all.

This may be a mystery for Mike Phillips and crew at Meguiars to unravel, as I`d reckon they would have the facilities to conduct testing to verify one way or the other? And develop a similar product??

imported_jgv
03-09-2004, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by 4DSC

Wow. As terrific as this is to hear about AIO`s abilities, this kind of bring up a question:

Did AIO polish out all these cases of hazing with very fine abrasives, or did it just fill and hide them? Or is it both?

I`m just wondering about this, because on and off over the years the exact action of AIO has been both described as "mostly chemical" and "a very fine polish" at differnt times... at least, that`s what I remember. :nixweiss

I`m sure AIO fills them. AIO definitely leaves something on the surface, so it fills.

6cyl's_of_fury
03-09-2004, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by jgv

I`m sure AIO fills them. AIO definitely leaves something on the surface, so it fills.

I respectfully disagree, as I have informally tested this theory ( I read it somewhere on Autopia once ) by giving it a 50:50 wash down to investigate the "filling" properties of AIO...none that I can report as I intentionally left some minor swirls in the paint.

As best as I can tell its a chemical cleaner, but very unique. The SG may have some filling properties though as the "twins system does hide minor swirls in my experience.

breakneckvtec
03-09-2004, 09:54 AM
I would imagine that a product regarded so highly as a chemical cleaner would not have filling properties.

I would also imagine that AIO can do what it does over such a broad scope based on the fact that it has a bit more than just cleaning abilities from chemicals. I would bet it has some very fine abrasives in it. It wont do alot of grunt work for swirls but removing haze may just be what it was indirectly designed for. I think that applying with the PC and a white pad can, and will, increase the "cut" of AIO and I plan to try it out this coming weekend to see if I cant get some better results out of it. Whether it fills or removes, it did a good job.

LightngSVT
03-09-2004, 10:22 AM
Does AIO leave a "sealant" on the surface? If so is it compatible with other brands of sealers and waxes? Does it affect the final outcome if you want to use a "pure" carnuba product?

breakneckvtec
03-09-2004, 10:27 AM
The beauty of AIO is that it is so versatile. Yes, it does leave behind a SMALL amount of protection, however it is compatable with most anything you want to top it with and wont cause any bonding issues.