PDA

View Full Version : natural sea sponge vs sheepsking mitt wash

imported_walt
03-08-2004, 12:08 PM
I ordered the sheepskin mitt=i dont care of the longevity=-

was told by "propper auto care" that their natual sea sponge is much better and leaves no scratches when washing.

I have a black car -

can anyone share their experiences?

Bill D
03-08-2004, 12:11 PM
I have a black car also. There`s been quite a bit discussed here about sheepskin mitts vs. chenille vs. sea sponge, etc.

imported_pugoman
03-08-2004, 12:15 PM
I`ve never used a natural sponge on my car, but I have used one in the shower! And I`ve noticed they do tend to contain bits of grit. I presume the ones intended for use on vehicles have had the grit removed... but I personally wouldn`t take the chance. I love my sheepskin mitt. :)

tnoy66
03-08-2004, 12:32 PM
:xyxthumbs :bow :D :bounce

imported_pugoman
03-08-2004, 12:44 PM
Hey Tony, I`ve seen those mitts somewhere before... are they good? Remind me of the website please.

2 for £12GBP if I remember correctly?

1999NCSU
03-08-2004, 12:51 PM
I`ve never used a natural sponge on my car, but I have used one in the shower! And I`ve noticed they do tend to contain bits of grit. I presume the ones intended for use on vehicles have had the grit removed... but I personally wouldn`t take the chance.

I think they do try to remove the grit. However, there is a warning telling you wash thoroughly before using. I bought one for my dad from CMA. I know he uses it, but I`ve never asked what he really thinks.

tnoy66
03-08-2004, 12:55 PM
You aren`t supposed to recognise pics :p

Yea they`re very good, proper animal skin on inside so they do dry hard (just the skin), but as soon as they`re wet again they`re nice and soft and only £11 for 2 :D

http://www.sheepskinshop.co.uk/accessories.htm

AndyC says the polish mitts are good for dusting inside the car too.

togwt
03-08-2004, 02:01 PM
Quote: natural sea sponge vs sheepsking mitt wash

~One man’s opinion / observations ~

Natural sea sponge does have an advantage over usual sponges in that there are holes for the grit etc to get into as opposed to being trapped between the sponge and paint surface. There seems to be more resistance here to the use of any type of sponge; sheepskin has a softer surface that holds dirt without letting it touch the paint surface

~ Hope this helps ~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect * so i question everything*

schrader
03-08-2004, 05:01 PM
just got my natural sea sponge from propper auto care... any suggestions before a use it??

AlanP
03-08-2004, 06:37 PM
A dry natural sea sponge will scratch the hell out of a CD. Try it. A wet sponge is far more benign -- but I think I would prefer using a softer material, just in case.

Accumulator
03-08-2004, 07:10 PM
Heh heh, I tried to sell my TOL sea sponges here and I couldn`t give them away :p Maybe I oughta relist them while the topic`s hot :D

schrader- REALLY rinse them out in a sink, do everything you can to get any grit out of them.

AlanP- Welcome to Autopia! Yeah, IMO all the washing stuff like mitts, sponges, BHBs, etc. oughta be tested wet, and wet with wash solution. I figure that`s the way they get used, so that`s the way we oughta test them.

imported_walt
03-08-2004, 08:49 PM
back to sheepskin or lambswool mitt

have a 2004 e 500 mb and last thing i want to do is experiment

with a songe that comes from deep sea

gotta be something to the saying "soft as lamb"

I do use songes on grout in my bath!

10:1 they screw it up and I get the damned sponge

===

propperautocare.com is quite good

Accumulator
03-09-2004, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by jwmciti

back to sheepskin or lambswool mitt..10:1 they screw it up and I get the damned sponge

If those mitts screw it up, it`s gonna be because of technique issues, not the mitts themselves. You should be fine as long as you`re careful.

debric
03-09-2004, 01:05 PM
That grit you refer to is most likely sand. Sea sponges are filter feeders.

Spilchy
03-09-2004, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by schrader

just got my natural sea sponge from propper auto care... any suggestions before a use it??

You should rinse and rinse to remove any remaining particles.

After I discovered sheepskin and the 2 bucket method, I feel in my opinion, there is no need to use other products for washing paint.