PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Ziebart undercoating?

RCK
03-07-2004, 02:15 PM
I`m curious if anyone has any experience with Ziebart undercoatings. I have an older truck I`d like to get done because the undercarriage is showing some surface rust. This will surely make it black again but I`m unsure as to the durability of the product or if there are any other ill effects. I want to do this purely for cosmetic reasons.

Thanks for any advice.

Joe

Jesstzn
03-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Aftermarket undercoatings are marginal at best when applied to a new car .. And a waste if the car is old. At one time GMs` rust perforation warranty was void if there was an aftermarket undercoating applied.

RCK
03-07-2004, 07:57 PM
I agree but I only want it done to hide the existing rust. Is it still a bad idea?

shaf
03-07-2004, 09:03 PM
I would ask for a recommendation or ask some other places that can treat rust specifically maybe (I think there`s a section in the phone book for this). I`m fairly certain that there are processes out there that involve neutralizing the rust first, and then either undercoating it (with ashphalt undercoating) or applying a wax-based rustproofing spray.

Sure, it`s going to cost more, but I don`t think simply undercoating over active rust is a good idea...

LouisanaJeeper
03-07-2004, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by CRUZMISL

I agree but I only want it done to hide the existing rust. Is it still a bad idea?

You want to use some stuff called POR 15 on any rust (expensive, but only product that really works) then undercoat after the POR has cured

LouisanaJeeper
03-07-2004, 09:09 PM
link http://www.por15.com/

tom p.
03-07-2004, 09:14 PM
I suspect covering existing rust could make things even worse. I would agree that you need to treat the rust and then decide upon your next step.

Would Ziebart really offer to spray over existing rust spots? http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/otn/sad/95.gif

RCK
03-07-2004, 10:30 PM
They will but apparently they have some type of acid wash before they do it. I`m not really too sure to be honest though. The rust is all minor surface stuff, nothing major. It is enough to look ugly though.

Joe

shaf
03-08-2004, 10:21 PM
The acid wash may be some kind of phosphoric acid solution, which is exactly what`s in the rust removers you buy off the store shelves. I`d just basically ask if they "neutralize" the rust first and leave it at that. :up