PDA

View Full Version : Question about broken glass..........

imported_ajbarnes
03-05-2004, 08:11 PM
Last night something or someone hit the rear glass panel near the trunk area of my `03 Chevy Tracker!:mad:

I got a question for my fellow autopians. I don`t know if any of you have any experience with this, but some advice would definitely be appreciated. My question is, would I be able to put some tape over the glass to keep the window from shattering until I am able to get it replaced? My mother`s friend recommended that to me since she experienced this before, and she has done this method...apparently it worked for her until she was able to get it fixed. One of biggest worries, is that the tracker is not all that of a smooth ride, and I have a Flowmaster muffler installed....would all the vibration and hard bumps I`ll hit cause the window to shatter even with the tape on?

Below you`ll see a picture of the headache!

I don`t know.:nixweiss Anyone have any suggestions, tips, etc.? Thanks!:up

Avy B.

shaf
03-06-2004, 02:30 AM
Ouch... too bad about that. :(

Personally, if this is tempered side window glass, I don`t think tape is going to keep it from all falling apart if it`s all spidered, like it appears to be. Unless you mean you`re going to put tape over the whole window, totally covering it....?

imported_ajbarnes
03-06-2004, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by 4DSC

Ouch... too bad about that. :(

Personally, if this is tempered side window glass, I don`t think tape is going to keep it from all falling apart if it`s all spidered, like it appears to be. Unless you mean you`re going to put tape over the whole window, totally covering it....?

Yeah, I was going to completely cover the whole glass, inside and out.........eeewwww.....how ugly would that look!:eek:

Don
03-06-2004, 08:12 AM
Actually your window tint is doing exactly what you want the tape for. It it hadn`t been for the tint film, the window would have already collapsed.

PS: they make black duct tape that you can `reinforce` the outside of the window with if you want.

imported_ajbarnes
03-06-2004, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by Don M

Actually your window tint is doing exactly what you want the tape for. It it hadn`t been for the tint film, the window would have already collapsed.

I was thinking that too. Glad someone confirmed it!

My wife is on her way back with some silver duct tape, although it would look pretty ugly, I rather have that than have a completely broken window and then have to put some cardboard or a trashbag over it.:eek:

Don
03-06-2004, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by ajbarnes

My wife is on her way back with some silver duct tape, although it would look pretty ugly, I rather have that than have a completely broken window and then have to put some cardboard or a trashbag over it.:eek:

Why not?? That`s the current "Ghetto Fashion" :rolleyes: :D

imported_ajbarnes
03-06-2004, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Don M

Why not?? That`s the current "Ghetto Fashion" :rolleyes: :D

:lol

imported_mirrorfinishman
03-10-2004, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by ajbarnes

Yeah, I was going to completely cover the whole glass, inside and out

Have you given any thought to just getting it fixed? I am sure there are glass businesses that will fix it and many will even fix it at your location.

Also, have you given any thought to how the taped window is going to block your visibility? Do you think you could get a summons for that?

Scott P
03-10-2004, 09:12 AM
About a year and a half ago, I rear ended my father in-law in his Grand Cherokee. No damage to his truck, buy my front end was totaled hammered pretty good. Since I still had to drive 6 hours home, my father in-law used duct tape to hold the hold down.

I was so embarrased....the duct tape almost added insult to injury. :(

imported_ajbarnes
03-10-2004, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by mirrorfinishman

Have you given any thought to just getting it fixed? I am sure there are glass businesses that will fix it and many will even fix it at your location.

Also, have you given any thought to how the taped window is going to block your visibility? Do you think you could get a summons for that?

As stated in the first post....

My question is, would I be able to put some tape over the glass to keep the window from shattering until I am able to get it replaced? I`m getting it fixed, I just need a quick temporary fix until I have the money to get it done.

If you looked at the picture, you would notice that the window is the very rear window where the trunk is. I can`t even see the window when I`m driving. I only need to see the windshield, driver side, passenger side, back seat windows, and the rear window.

BTW, I have duct tape on the window now for the past three days, and no problems.