PDA

View Full Version : Different types of waxes?

NorcalZ71
03-05-2004, 02:05 AM
so what waxes are goor which applications? ive read through a lot of posts and am still semi confused. what is a glaze and its purpose? whats the difference between NXT and P21S and Klasse etc etc........when would you use them in combination? basically im really confused, it seems like certain waxes serve certain purposes and im not quite sure which is which. if it helps any, i have a 94 midnighte blue silverado. the paint is in pretty good condition (except front of rockers, wider tires arent nice on those). right now i am using gold class wax, but clearly that seems to be an amateur item, which i am an amateur at this

Accumulator
03-05-2004, 12:05 PM
This CAN be confusing. People use terms like "glaze", "wax", etc. in a lot of different and contradictory ways.

GENERALLY, you have synthetics such as Klasse, NXT, BF, P UPP, Zaino, etc. then you have CARNAUBA WAXES such as P21S, Meg`s #16, Souveran, Collinite, and your Gold Class. There are some overlaps because many "waxes" also have some synthetic stuff in them. As I recall, the Gold Class is one of those "overlap" products.

There`s a subtly different look between the two groups, and the synthetics USUALLY last longer. It`s really hard to generalize more than that. Most people will be happiest just using a) whatever they find easy/pleasant to use, and b) whatever gives them a "look" that they like. Don`t worry about "amateur" products vs. "pro" products, or "cheap" vs. "boutique". Just try some different stuff and see what YOU like. There are a *ZILLION* threads about what we all prefer ;)

NorcalZ71
03-05-2004, 02:17 PM
hey thanks man, i just found an article on here too finally that explained it a lot more. sounds like i might want to dry a carnuba in the summer, and then a synthetic topped by carnuba in the winter for some more durability?

are there any specific types that you should not mix? like certain synthetics that dont go well with certain carnubas? thanks

Accumulator
03-05-2004, 02:29 PM
Some people use different stuff depending on the season, but *I* just use different stuff based on the use of the car (beaters vs. garage queens, for instance).

As far as mixing them, just don`t try to put a synthetic over a straight carnauba.

tnoy66
03-05-2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by NorCalZ71

hey thanks man, i just found an article on here too finally that explained it a lot more. sounds like i might want to dry a carnuba in the summer, and then a synthetic topped by carnuba in the winter for some more durability?

are there any specific types that you should not mix? like certain synthetics that dont go well with certain carnubas? thanks

Provided you apply the different types of product in the right order, you should be fine.

Polish, sealant (synthetic) then wax :xyxthumbs

Polish, wax :xyxthumbs

Polish, sealant :xyxthumbs

Polish, wax, sealant :nono

Wax, sealant, polish :nono

Sealant, polish, wax :nono

Wax, sealant :nono

You can mix and match types of products from different manufacturers :xyxthumbs

NorcalZ71
03-05-2004, 04:23 PM
awesome thanks guys. my truck is daily driven, but i keep really good care of it. kinda my obsession as im sure most everyone here is. ill definitely need to pick up some more products soon.......the weather is turning and i have my truck, our suburban and our audi to do

shaf
03-06-2004, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by tnoy66

Provided you apply the different types of product in the right order, you should be fine.

Polish, sealant (synthetic) then wax :xyxthumbs

(SNIP - too many images!!!)

Sealant, polish, wax :nono

Wax, sealant :nono

:LOLOL Somehow I found this post really funny!

NorCalZ71, all waxes/sealants have the same basic job. That is to protect the paint. It`s just that some protection products have different qualities and attributes than each other, which is where you`re getting all this confusing feedback about experimenting with different products, using different products at different times for different problems, and using them on top of each other.

"Glaze", the way most people here consider the word, is usually a non-abrasive product that has the job of adding shine and hiding/filling microscopic imperfections as an intermediate step between polishing and waxing. Generally:

Polish, glaze, wax :xyxthumbs

Polish, glaze, sealant :nono

:D