PDA

View Full Version : My process alright?

ZIPP0
03-04-2004, 11:17 PM
Hey I joined Autopia recently.

Before Autopia I never really detailed anything, and just applied car wash. I`ve been really researching a whole lot on this site, and am getting excited about detailing my car.

I`d like to wash my car this weekend, and wanted to know if this sounds ok...[eager to try out my new pc7424] Note: I have swirls all over the car from dealer.

1. blue corral car wash, applied with chinelle mitt

2. Mothers Clay + Showtime shine spray

3. Dawn Wash

4. Dry with microfiber

4. Apply DACP, by hand, with an applicator pad

**5. Use PC to buff out

6. Microfiber wipe away excess

7. Apply Meg Swirl Remover, by hand. with applicator pad

**8. Use PC to buff out

9. Microfiber wipe away excess

10. Apply NXT Tech Wax, by hand, with applicator pad.

**11. Buff out with PC

Does everything sound right? I don`t want to majorly screw up on my first time.

** Also, I read that I need a terry cloth applicator for the polish. Do I use a terry cloth applicator for the wax too? What are the pads I need to buy for my porter cable, I bought the PC from costal tools so it came with the 6`` disk. Do I just go to like pepboys and buy those 6.5`` bonnets to put over top?

I`m sorry Im so confused

:nixweiss

imported_WCD
03-04-2004, 11:29 PM
My only comment is that you might want to put some dawn in with your car shampoo. After claying, your surface should be clean, so a milder shampoo is fine.

I don`t see why you can`t use a polisher pad (foam) for polishing.

Maybe do a portion of your hood and then check it out prior to doing the entire car if you are a bit hesitant. The most frustrating thing is spending hours on the exterior and then standing back and saying, "It still has swirls!"

Goodluck,

Robert Regan

ZIPP0
03-04-2004, 11:33 PM
alright, thanks for the tip.

thats a good idea going through the process on one small area, I`ll have to try that.

:up :xyxthumbs

shaf
03-05-2004, 12:52 AM
You should be using the PC to thoroughly work the polishes in, not just buff it off, as polishing is where the great advantage of the PC lays. Work in the polish by PC, buff off each section as you go by hand.

The Dawn wash in Step 3 is actually unnecessary/optional since the QD isn`t really going to interfere with the polishing.

As said, try the swirl remover first, as this is your first time. In all likelihood, it`s not going to be strong enough, but you never know and it`s educational.

You`re going to have to find PC pads from Meguiar`s or order pads online, which many people do. It sounds like you bought a PC without any of the accessories really necessary to use it properly. In the thread linked in my signature you`ll find (too much) information as well as excellent articles for beginners written by Geekysteve. Be sure to read those. :up