PDA

View Full Version : Aw jeez . . now this???

dmatre
03-04-2004, 09:02 PM
Well, it was inevitable that the unthinkable would happen sooner or later . . .

While driving through the mountains of Kentucky earlier this week, I got stuck behind a dump truck dripping what appeared to be water out the back.

I didn`t think much of it again until today when I washed the car. While washing, I found small whitish spots on the paint. On the front of the car, they were stains - that is, you couldn`t feel them with your finger, but you could see the discoloration.

On the sides and rear of the car, you could feel the texture of something being stuck on the paint.

I started with the usual routine: Bug remover, tar remover, isopropal alcohol, Klasse AIO, Griot`s machine polishes, etc.

The only thing that even started to touch the spots was the Klasse, and then only if I really gooped it on (it was as if the solvent in the Klasse was loosening it up). I went through about 1/4 of a 10oz. AIO only doing a quick job on the trunk, the hood, and the passenger side.

Even after working several applications of AIO, some of the spots are still somewhat visible.

I`m hoping that somebody out there has had a similar experience, and can provide some helpful hints, tips. . . hell, at this point, wild guesses are also welcome. I plan to do a full rehabilitation this weekend.

I do have to say that I am glad that I broke down 2 weeks ago, and applied another coat of SG. Otherwise, I`m certain that the damage would be much worse.

Below are two (admittedly lousy) pictures.

dmatre
03-04-2004, 09:03 PM
(Ignore the stone chips . . . this car`s a daily driver)

2nd picture:

dmatre
03-04-2004, 10:32 PM
BlackRegal, thanks for the ideas.

I forgot to mention that I also tried the clay - no effect.

This stuff is really stuck on. I used an MF applicator for the Klasse, and when it removed some of this gunk, it completely gummed up the applicator.

The mineral spirits may do the trick.

Thanks again for your ideas.

Jesstzn
03-04-2004, 10:37 PM
Also consider Prep-Sol

shaf
03-05-2004, 12:38 AM
I really hope the "water" wasn`t diluted concrete or water from rinsing off fresh concrete...

imported_Dave Holmes
03-05-2004, 02:16 AM
4DSC,

The diluted concrete came to my mind, too. If I remember right, won`t a towel soaked in distilled white vinegar, then set on the spots for a little while soften/remove concrete from paint? Seems I recall a thread on here about that.

Anyways, even if it isn`t concrete, it could be a mineral deposit that the vinegar tip might help loosen. Worth a shot if you`ve tried just about everything else.

Dave

Marc Hufnagel
03-05-2004, 02:38 AM
Could it have been a dump truck that had been carrying a load of wet gravel? That would be like a lime substance wouldn`t it?

dmatre
03-05-2004, 05:06 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys! It`s great to have more brainpower on the job!

I had a chance to inspect the `damage` more closely today after work.

In the areas where the AIO removed the `substance` from the paint, there is still a light `ghost` of the area where this stuff was.

I tried a cloth soaked in mineral spirits. It didn`t seem to have any effect on the stuff. I`m going to wait until tomorrow (margaritas are callin` my name tonight) to give the vinegar a shot.

I`m hoping that if I can get all of the gunk off using some method or another, that I can polish the ghost spots out of the paint.

Another question: Does anyone know if ammonia (as used in Windex) is harmful to the paint? Ammonia is typically another good cleaner. Of course, after cleaning, it would be right back with another full wash, AIO, and SG.

Thanks again to all of you guys who replied!

reevis
03-05-2004, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Hellspawn

Could it have been a dump truck that had been carrying a load of wet gravel? That would be like a lime substance wouldn`t it?

This is what I thought as well...I got some of this on an older car before and I didn`t know how to get it off...it was rough to the touch so I started out with some rubbing compound...which got rid of the roughness, but the paint was always discolored in the areas where it dripped.

However...from my new found knowledge (Thanks Autopians! :D)...I`d say try soaking the spots with some distilled white vinegar for a few minutes (then rinse it off) and follow up with some sort of light abrasive polish.

shaf
03-06-2004, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by Dave Holmes

4DSC,

The diluted concrete came to my mind, too. If I remember right, won`t a towel soaked in distilled white vinegar, then set on the spots for a little while soften/remove concrete from paint? Seems I recall a thread on here about that.

Anyways, even if it isn`t concrete, it could be a mineral deposit that the vinegar tip might help loosen. Worth a shot if you`ve tried just about everything else.

Dave Hmm, that`s a good question. I know muriatic acid (aka hydrochloric acid) is used to deal with concrete on paint, but I don`t know if vinegar (acetic acid) can do the same thing. I agree it`s definitely worth trying though, since it`s gentler and safer.

Maybe let it sit for a while and see, since it`s not caked on or anything.