PDA

View Full Version : I have failed

ptim
03-04-2004, 08:07 PM
I was practicing on my wifes 03 Black Mustang GT, the hood has been repainted except for the hood scoop. The scoop is full of scratches from dealer, so I attempted to remove the scratches, first I clayed it, then I used megs scratch X, then I used megs cleaner wax, then zymol cleaner wax, topped off with NXT. The scratches are still there, either my products are worthless, or I have failed at my detailing skills.:sosad

If you were wondering, these products were applied by hand.

raymond_ho2002
03-04-2004, 08:15 PM
The only thing I see in your list of products that could possibly touch scratches is scratch-x. Without any more description of the damage, it`s difficult to offer other alternatives.

C-MDX
03-04-2004, 08:17 PM
I don`t think you can remove a "scratch" by hand. If it`s only deep swrils I think you can fill it by hand or use a PC for the job.

taxidriver
03-04-2004, 08:21 PM
Hmm,I guess a rotary or a pc would do the job

You haven,t got a chance to remove them by hand

kpounds
03-04-2004, 08:43 PM
Removing scatches by hand is very TOUGH. The products you have (except for Scratch-x, a spot remover) arent designed for scratch removal. You need something like Meguiars Fine Cut Cleaner or Medium Cut Cleaner and maybe a PC if you cant get them out by hand. Try it again with those products, I`m sure you`ll get better results. Dont beat yourself up, just need the right products for the job.

C-MDX
03-04-2004, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by kpounds

Removing scatches by hand is very TOUGH.

Actually this is a false statement if you`re talking about Scottwax :D

teamvegas
03-04-2004, 08:50 PM
FOR SURE!

breakneckvtec
03-04-2004, 09:51 PM
Dude, dont get down on yourself, you didnt fail, you were just improperly equipped is all.

Order a PC and some DACP and you can pop them babys out, provided they are not too deep.

shaf
03-05-2004, 12:27 AM
DACP also works by hand.

Scratch-X, while marketed as a "scratch remover" is only slightly stronger than a swirl remover. "Swirl removers" by the way, aren`t guaranteed to take out swirls all by themselves either, as I quickly found out in my earlier days at Autopia.

Trying to polish out deep swirls or even light scratches by hand is hard work, as said. A PC isn`t totally necessary, it mainly just saves time and labour. Try the Scratch-X again on a spot and see if a second polishing helps. If not, you should consider stepping up to a stronger polish like DACP or a Fine Cut product (3M/Meguiar`s).

In the future, try your plan of attack on a small spot first, like a couple square feet, so that you don`t waste all your time polishing and double waxing the whole hood just to find out it wasn`t effective.