PDA

View Full Version : Which Polish?

Pages : [1] 2

JaCkaL829
03-04-2004, 01:34 PM
I recently purchased some 1Z Paint Polish & Glanz Wax from Autopia. Quite a few members suggested using a final polish or glaze inbetween the PP and a carnuaba(S100) or sealant(Glanz). I`d like to know which polish would you recommend or pick? I`m considering either Vanilla Moose or Menzerna Final Polish. No buffer so everything will be applied by hand. Heard Menzerna can be hard to apply and buff off, if that is true I think i`m gonna go with Vanilla Moose which is what I was originally thinking. I`m open to any other suggestions.

THanks!

imported_Macgirl
03-04-2004, 01:43 PM
What color is your car? If you have a medium to light colored paint you should be able to just go straight to GW without adding another product. If your paint is dark you could use 1Z`s Metallic Polish to clean up any marring. If you are using 1Z products I wouldn`t use something that is going to remove the wax and gloss enhancers that are in the polish (unless you are going to be using Zaino or AIO, then you would need to remove them). Besides since you are hand-applying, I wouldn`t recommend using Menzerna that way, just me, but the 1Z products are very easy to use

Don`t clutter the process with products that you really don`t need, your wallet will thank you! :xyxthumbs

JaCkaL829
03-04-2004, 01:57 PM
Macgirl you seem to be a very big advocate of the 1Z lineup. Everytime I search for info on them your bound to show up..lol. My truck is a metallic (Royal Blue) which is why i though one more step would improve the appearance and give it a little more. Would using the Vanilla Moose be a waste and remove any of the 1Z paint polish? I think under the description of FP it doesn`t say anything about hand applications, so maybe that wouldn`t be a good decision? I probably should have just ordered the 1Z Metallic polish..but I got some time to decide and make money. My next detail, whenever the Wolfgang arrives will be a test of their products which Im really looking forward to.

imported_Macgirl
03-04-2004, 02:09 PM
Johnny,

Yes, I love 1Z stuff! I find them very effective and efficient. I`m thinking of changing my little description under my username to "1Z Addict." Anyway, do a test on a panel section with just the Paint Polish and step back and look at it in different lighting, you may not even need another step if you have been careful washing your car and such. I can`t really comment on Vanilla Moose`s performance, since I haven`t used it; I want to say that Scottwax uses it but I`ve not real sure. I can say that if you order the Metallic Polish you won`t be disappointed. Maybe someone who has used Vanilla Moose can chime in on it....

Good luck!

Accumulator
03-04-2004, 02:14 PM
I`d go with the 1Z Metallic Polish also. I`d still use the PP to remove any marring, but add a quick pass with the MP afterwards. It`d really make your metallic pant "pop". But it`s not REALLY necessary, so just use the GW after your PP for now.

I really like VM, but when I use 1Z PP I don`t use VM over it. Yeah, the VM will remove some of the 1Z stuff. And *I* don`t think adding the VM would improve the look, either. I use VM on some cars, 1Z on others. I do a lot of cross-manufacturer mixing, but I don`t mix those particular products.

andriver
03-04-2004, 02:32 PM
MP is all you really need. I use VM on other cars but on my own I stick with 1Z all the way.

JaCkaL829
03-04-2004, 02:49 PM
I got another question for you 1Z users. How often do you need to apply 1Z PP? I plan on polishing/waxing my truck every 3 months. I know 1Z PP is moderate aggresive and shoud hide swirls but shoud I be applying this every 3 months? I guess the answer really lies in how my paint looks in 3 months. Just wondering how many times do you use 1Z PP? I think if i get 1Z MP or VM it wouldn`t matter. If I don`t need to use 1Z PP every 3 months then I guess I can use VM as a light polish then go to the carnuaba or if i get 1Z MP I can use it then go to the carnuaba. I guess 1Z MP has the advantage in my situation because I can use it after PP or on its own. This question will now be bugging me all day and night.

andriver
03-04-2004, 03:03 PM
After your initial application of PP, I usually only use it as needed. So far it has been six months since I used it on my wife`s Mustang. I use MP every three months and Glanz Wax once a month.

imported_Macgirl
03-04-2004, 03:23 PM
I agree, only use your abrasive polish on as "as needed" basis. I would think if you used it [PP] twice a year you would be fine, but for every three months go with something milder, like the MP. Just my opinion.

FYI, the Glanz should be lasting longer than a month. Are you having an issue with the durability? Just interested. I was told in an email from 1Z that when water forms dime-sized beads then you should reapply the Glanz.

andriver
03-04-2004, 03:43 PM
Macgirl, I apply GW monthly even if it does not need it. I just do it as part of my maintenace regimen. It is probably not needed. Spruh Wax probably works as well.

SamIam
03-04-2004, 03:53 PM
I thought polish was abrasive and glaze was non-abrasive.

Anyway, the 1Z Metallic Polish is so lightly abrasive, I wouldn`t hesitate to use it regularly.

I guess that SEC and GEPC are pretty mild also.

andriver
03-04-2004, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by MartyGrant

Could you please name several really good NON-ABRASIVE polishes for this rookie? I`m not familiar with some of the products discussed in this post.Thanks.

Clearkote`s Vanilla Moose, Poorboys`s Polish with Carnuba, GEPC, Klassse AIO, Einszett Metallic Polish and many more quality products then I can mention.

JimS
03-04-2004, 04:39 PM
I like Poorboys as much as anything I`ve ever used. Usually start with SSR1, then Pro Polish (not his Polish w/carnuba) then the new EX-P. Top w/ Natty`s Wax for the carnuba look.

Scottwax
03-04-2004, 08:10 PM
I like VM the most because I can use it on practically every part of the car. I have the Euro version of Menzerna FP which is a very nice product and just started testing some 1Z products as well. You can`t go wrong with any of them. I think they are all high quality products.

Brad B
03-04-2004, 09:45 PM
I love all these "hot" designer polishes and abrasives. Geez!:doh I have them all and have tested them all. Sure, some are pretty nice. But nobody makes abrasives with the quality of 3M.:xyxthumbs