PDA

View Full Version : New Paint - Audi A6

imported_ragman
03-03-2004, 12:52 PM
Hello All,

Had a door reapinted on my silver Audi A6. The body shop did a good job matching the paint - but - they did leave some swirl marks from their buffer.

Based upon my searching here on Autopia, it seems that I should not do any waxing on the paint for 30 to 60 days, but that polishing would be OK.

So if I were to take my PC to the swirls would it be Ok to use products like ...

P21S GEP

Clearkote VM

of Meguiars Swirl free polish

??

Thanks!

tom p.
03-03-2004, 12:59 PM
FWIW, VW recommends using 3M Imperial hand glaze on re-finished panels as it is so gentle. Some product along that line should work. you really shouldn`t require any cleaning action at this time.

Accumulator
03-03-2004, 01:13 PM
Ragman- Lots of different things you can use (just had paintwork done on the S8 and a friends A6, both silver, BTW), but VM is *NOT* one of them. To remove the swirls, just use a mildly abrasive polish. I`d go up to 3M PI-III RC (pn 05933) without worrying (that`s what the painter used on a few little spots on the S8`s fresh paint).

The Meg`s #82 would be fine; there`s a list Mike Phillips put together that shows which Meg`s stuff is safe for fresh paint (but I forget which thread it was in). The #80 Speed Glaze is my current fave for this, it has a "fresh-paint safe" polymer that gives a LITTLE protection and enough cut to get rid of swirls.

The 3M IHG is also fine for fresh paint, and is what I use if there`re no defects to correct.