PDA

View Full Version : Menzerna or 1Z?

toosweetkoolaid
03-02-2004, 10:58 PM
Which one of these would work best on a new black metallic BMW? Also do you think the FP or the Metallic Polish would be aggressive enough? Or should I go with IP or the Paint Polish? The car is brand new and the paint is in good shape, there are some lite scratches though. I`m just not sure on how aggresive to be. I`m looking for the deep wet look that makes the metallic in the paint come out.

andriver
03-02-2004, 11:12 PM
For your new BMW, I would go with the Metallic Polish. Not very agressive but will take care of light scratches. IP and PP may be more agressive than you need. Top with Glanz Wax for the deep wet look.

Scottwax
03-02-2004, 11:15 PM
I have the European version of Menzerna FP and 1Z`s Metallic Polish and both are very mild products. You may need to get a bit more aggressive with the scratches though. I`ve been very happy with Meguiars DACP #83 and SFP #82 and either FP or MP would work fine after the Meguiars product(s).

Whichever line you chose, you should probably get their glaze or least abrasive product and then a moderate grade polish as well.

Gonzo
03-03-2004, 07:22 AM
The 1Z products appear to contain oils and these will tend to hide scratches/sqirls you don`t remove during the buffing process. I always finish off with Menzerna`s FP at #6 on the PC (recently I did my hood using a 9227 and a finishping pad at just over #2). This polish will definitely remove any residue left after MF`ing the Paint Polish off. In fact FP leaves nothing on the paint but SQUEEK -- literally. To answer your question , get both. The FP is designed to be such a light abrasive it doesn`t really cut the paint, but rather burnishes it to a high shine and is water based to it leaves behind nothing.

Scottwax
03-03-2004, 06:56 PM
Gonzo-have you notice how `clear` the paint looks after using FP?

toosweetkoolaid
03-03-2004, 09:31 PM
So is hiding the swirls and scratches a bad thing?

6cyl's_of_fury
03-03-2004, 09:45 PM
If you want that "deep wet look that makes metallic pop" then yeah, it is much more preferable to get rid of the sworls and scratches rather than cover them up. Bit more work involved but definitely worth it. It will make black mirror. You be glad you went that little bit extra when you stand back and admire it!

Personally, I used the Menzerna twins ( with PC ) on my new cars paint and it came up a treat, and I added the 1z Ultra to my arsenal for friends cars that are quite as babied as mine. Im sure which ever one you choose will work fine, both the Menzerna and 1z products are equally well liked and I dont think I have read a bad review of either.

Scottwax
03-03-2004, 10:02 PM
I have to agree that removing the swirls has a noticable effect on the depth of the color. I have noticed, especially on black, that removing the swirls makes the paint look noticably blacker. It is worth the extra effort.

imported_hayless
03-03-2004, 10:59 PM
So 1z polishes have fillers? Doh! I definitely want to remove my scratches and swirls--should I go with the IP and FP instead? Thanks for the advice.

Joey

Gonzo
03-04-2004, 07:37 AM
Scottwax. I`m not sure by what you mean by `clear`, but my seat-o-the-pants meterindicates it is shinier

imported_Macgirl
03-04-2004, 09:37 AM
hayless,

1Z polishes will remove scratches and swirls, not just "fill" them. They also have white carnauba and polymer wax in them, ranging from Wax Polish Soft, having the most to Ultra having the least. If you have questions concerning the properties of the polishes you should contact Mike by asking a question in the einszett forum here under "Vendors" or emailing him. I find these polishes very easy to use, more so than the Menzerna ones but I do like the FP.

Here is the link to the einszett forum:

http://www.autopia.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=99

Accumulator
03-04-2004, 11:16 AM
What Macgirl said :xyxthumbs *I* didn`t find the fillers/waxes/oils in 1Z stuff to be a "problem" at all. They`re NOT like 3M SMR where the filler-effect overshadows the abrasive effect, leading to swirls that seem to "come back". Rather, the 1Z`s "extra ingredients" just make them easy to use, make things look nice, and impart some protection. You CAN achieve a flawless finish (totally marring free) with 1Z polishes.

If you`re gonna apply Zaino, or maybe even AIO/SG, that could be different (why use a product with fillers/waxes/oils just to strip them off?), but otherwise it`s not gonna be an issue.

And FWIW, *I* just LOVE the look that 1Z`s polishes (I use PP then MP) impart to metallic paint. Just top with your favorite Last Step Product, and you`ll be all set. And if you want to wait until the next wash to do the LSP, you`ll still have some protection.