PDA

View Full Version : It Flawless possible ?? Poll

Alexaris
03-01-2004, 07:26 PM
I got a question for you guys, pros or dont, do you really have your car without any micro swirls or something on the paint. I have spent a lot of time trying to have the ultimate shine and a flawless paint, but I think it is not possible, I have tried lots of things, but really want to know if anybody could say that.

And Im not talking about normal swirls, I am talking about little spider webbing on the car in direct sun light, or with 300 or 400 watts halogen, and in every angle.

I have tried but nothing :angry

So what do you think, dont misundertand me I love how my cars look but I always want more

Redcar GUY
03-01-2004, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by BlackRegal

I do think "flawless" is achievable on a show car...

I do not think "flawless" is achievable, or even a reasonable goal, for a daily driver.

:D :up

JustinR32
03-01-2004, 09:25 PM
I agree with BR, flawless on a daily driver is unrealistic.

Tom

detailbarn
03-02-2004, 07:24 AM
I agree with the above comments to a certain degree. I think if you purchase a brand new vehicle and don`t let the dealer touch it and properly detail it from the first day and properly maintain it you could accomplish a flawless finish. I think it would take serious dedication , meaing two weekly hand washes with a new coat of wax apply after each. A twice daily quick detail of the car , one in the morning and one the evening. Garaging it as much as possible would help this pursuit. I think it`s possible and to some people a reasonable expectation for their vehicles but I think it all comes down to how much you`re commited to properly detailing your car. Personally I have given this alot of thought and I plan to do this to my next car that I am currently building , since I am putting alot of time and money into the car and want it to last forever I think I will be able to stick with it.

togwt
03-02-2004, 09:00 AM
Quote: It Flawless possible ?? Poll

~One mans opinion / observation~

b : an imperfection or weakness and especially one that detracts from the whole

Possible yes, practical or attainable doubtful, and I’d suggest in a ‘daily driver almost impossible.

~ Hope this helps ~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect * so i question everything*

Alexaris
03-02-2004, 09:50 AM
Thanks guys for sharing this.

Mine both are daily drivers, I wash them two times a week, and a coat of NXT or UPP every other week, so I think to my amount of time and effort dedicated to the car, the car is in very good shape.

Accumulator
03-03-2004, 10:57 AM
I gave this a "sometimes" because it`s based on SO many variables.

*BEFORE THE DEER INCIDENT* :( the S8 *WAS* flawless, except for a few stone chips. No micromarring, nothing, not under any light, or even magnification. Believe me on this; I spent literally HOURS just LOOKING for flaws, let alone correcting them. And I drove it like a regular car. But it was ALWAYS washed with the soap-solution-pumped-through-the-mitt method, always before it LOOKED dirty, and every wash took over three hours.

Keeping it that nice was a royal pain, I wasn`t really enjoying the car. I wouldn`t drive it unless I could plan on washing it. Then my perfect ride got all messed up by the deer and the subsequent repair anyhow! I think I`m gonna treat it more like a "regular driver" from now on.

It`s not, IMO, fun, but yeah, it *IS* possible, especially if you start with the right car in the first place. I`ve had a few other flawless ones (like the Mallett). But then, I`ve been working on the XJS for 19 years, and I can`t get it even CLOSE to flawless (and it`s running out of paint from my attempts).

Alexaris
03-03-2004, 11:32 AM
Accumulator

Great info and explanation, I was thinking the same way, it is so hard to have the car flawless, that sometimes you dont enjoy your car, you are afraid of taking for a spin in certain conditions, rain, dust, acid rain, fixing streets. I think is like an obsession, My wife is in the same train right now and she told me yesterday that the only thing that she sees on cars right now are spider webbing and dings and scratches, sometimes it is not fun, but well I like it anyway

Accumulator
03-03-2004, 11:51 AM
Alexaris- Yeah, some of the cars of which I have the fondest memories are ones that I sorta let go, Autopian-detailing-wise. Just drove the wheels off `em. And when I was finished with them, the next owner always thought they were immaculate anyhow.

Heh heh, it sounds like your wife is getting "educated", so at least she`ll be more careful about how she treats the cars. Accumulatorette actually explains how to treat the car (e.g., "don`t touch the paint, just the door handle") when she gives people rides in her A8. And she shows mechanics how to open/close the hood and trunk without touching the paint, too. She`s just come to think of this stuff as the right way to treat a car, and she gets a kick out of all the "is that the NEW Audi?", "nah, I just take care of it" stuff.

Alexaris
03-03-2004, 11:57 AM
Nice ride of your wife, my wife has a Volvo S40 T4 metallic black, she chose that color, cause she likes black cars, she clean the car every 3 days, give the car a coat of wax every three weeks, and always park away from everybody, she takes care of her car a lot and she always explain to our friends a good process and good products to buy or use, We have a small detailing business and she do a lot of sales

Accumulator
03-03-2004, 12:33 PM
Alexaris- Significant others that "get it" = :xyxthumbs