PDA

View Full Version : Petroleum Distillates In Tire Dressings

WAX2MUCH
03-01-2004, 08:40 AM
Just read the Guru Report on Tire Dressings. They are not fans of those tire dressings which contain petroleum distillates. But, since it appears that 90% of dressings contain PDs, should this be a concern?

Just looking for comments/opinions.

Thanks.

togwt
03-01-2004, 08:47 AM
Quote: Petroleum Distillates In Tire Dressings.

~One mans opinion / observation~

http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=42

WAX2MUCH
03-01-2004, 09:51 AM
TOGWT- thank you for your indepth reply. A couple of questions:

1. Why do so many manufacturers use PDs in tire dressings?....I am guessing that part of it is that they can get the short term look and performance the customer wants, even though long term PDs may do damage to the rubber.

2. What dressing(s) do you use? What vinyl protectants do you use?

Thank you for the info and reply.

chris0626
03-03-2004, 12:49 AM
When I was trying to get a grip on PDs and silicones, this thread (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=235547) is one that I bookmarked, as it seems to have more in-depth info than some others.

HTH --

togwt
03-03-2004, 09:14 AM
Quote: Petroleum Distillates In Rubber/Vinyl Protectants

TOGWT- thank you for your indepth reply. A couple of questions:

~One mans opinion / observation~

Q Why do so many manufacturers use PDs in tire dressings?....I am guessing that part of it is that they can get the short term look and performance the customer wants, even though long term PDs may do damage to the rubber.

A Silicone has some good and even necessary traits that enhance rubber, plastic and vinyl, at least when it’s the “good siliconeâ€, Poly Dimethyl Siloxane or PDMS for short. It’s water-based, dries to a non-oily hard surface, and doesn’t migrate the plasticizers from the material, less absorption of UV rays and non-dust attracting. Good attributes, The PDMS silicones tend to be more expensive.

A The “bad†Silicone is Dimethyl Silicone. D/S is oily; migratory (pulls the plasticizers from the plastic/vinyl. Plasticizers are what give elasticity and colour to these materials), attracts dust, contains petroleum distillates which give the “oily “ feel, and can actually cause degradation of some rubber compounds in tires with sun interaction, removing “micro-wax†that all tire manufacturers put in their tyres.

Q What dressing(s) do you use?

A Zymol Preserve Concentrate (Tyres)

QWhat vinyl protectants do you use?

A Zymol Viynl Conditioner (interior), Klasse Viynl Protecant (exterior)

I’m sure there are other water-based dressings out there, I’ve found that if they are ‘natural’ (water based) they will say so, but it safest to ask.

~ Hope this helps ~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wastedâ€/

justadumbarchitect * so i question everything*

WAX2MUCH
03-03-2004, 10:55 AM
At this point, my take on it is that if you are dealing with a reputable manufacturer who has made tire dressings for quite some time, the specific PDs and/or specific silicones used are going to be safe for rubber/vinyl.

The water based dressings would not have the PDs, but would have silicones...and I am reading that PDMS (a specific silicone) used in water based products is fine.

Kind of gets back to personal preference.

Currently I am using NXT Protectant (PD based) and like its satin type finish. I am also a fan of Armor All original and 303.

WAX2MUCH
03-03-2004, 11:03 AM
Mirrorfinishman-- my "guess" at the answers to the 5 questions:

1. No- but I would use only a reputable product

2. No

3. Yes

4. Usually will say "contains petroleum distillates" on the label.

5. Label typically just says PDs...not the specific ones. May also

list some other ingredients.

dternst
03-03-2004, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by mirrorfinishman

I thought that water-based dressings did not contain petroleum distillates. And that solvent-based dressings did. Is this correct?

Do water-based and solvent-based tire dressings both contain petroleum distillates?

How do we know if PDs are in the tire dressing that we use? Is that info always printed on the product label?

You can determine if petroleum distillates are in the product by obtaining the Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS). Common Frank, you should have known the answer to that question.

togwt
03-03-2004, 12:01 PM
~One man’s opinion / observations ~

Back to the questions:

1- Since it appears that 90% of dressings contain PDs, should this be a concern?

A If you care about rubber/vinyl/the environment, then yes.

2- Do water-based tire dressings contain petroleum distillates?

A. No

3- Do solvent-based tire dressings contain petroleum distillates?

Yes, some are PDMS (good) some are DS (bad)

4- How do we know if PDs are in the tire dressing that we use?

Sometimes on the label or MSDS

5- Is info about PDs printed on product labels?

Not often, usually states, “Contains petroleum distillatesâ€

~ Hope this helps ~

togwt
03-03-2004, 12:06 PM
Quote: Currently I am using NXT Protectant (PD based)

~One man’s opinion / observations ~

In spite of the ability to re-distil and remove any harmful components this is rarely down in the automotive industry, the one exception I know to this is Meguiar’s. To group all petroleum distillates into one category and label them harmful or dangerous would be both unscientific and without foundation.

~ Hope this helps ~