PDA

View Full Version : My 1st attempt in removing swirl marks

leowcj
03-01-2004, 05:48 AM
I tried the following method to remove the swirl marks on the bonnet of my black car but with not much success. Can someone please enlighten me?

1 - Wash car with Autoglym car shampoo

2 - Clay bar the bonnet

3 - Orbital buffer with a soft terry cloth and 3M SMR

- ran a few passes with the orbital buffer

4 - Removed the soft terry cloth from the buffer and polish with 3M SMR in straight line movement.

5 - using a soft yellow Meguiar`s application pad, I polish with 3M SMR in a straight line movement.

Up to this point, the paint work just felt so smooth and look beautiful.

6 - Polish with Autoglym SUPER RESIN POLISH

7 - Polish with Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection

After the Autoglym products, the shine is deep and the paint is ultra smooth to the touch

After waiting for 30 mins before removing the EGP, I applied the wax

8 - Wax with Meguiar Gold Class Clear Coat Car Wax

The result:

a) After waxing with Meguiar`s Gold Class Clear Coat Car Wax, I tried to remove the wax but it left a lot of wax residues on the paint surface. At some angle, I can see the inprint of my waxing action on the paint. I tried to polish it off but without much success.

b) I bought my car under the sun for the ultimate test. Found out that all the swirl marks are still there!!! Help!

My Question is

1) If I use 3M PIII-MG 05937 to polish with hand, will it be more efficient than the 3M SMR?

2) Should I use hand or my 12V Orbital Buffer with this 3M Machine Glaze

3) Will Autoglym SUPER RESIN POLISH be able to fill in the reminding swirl marks after I have done with the 3M MG?

CJ

ps - I think I am the only guy in Singapore to be so crazy about taking care of car paint.

James TT
03-01-2004, 11:51 AM
I have had the same problems using a PC and Griots polish No 3

and wax, the car looks and feels great when polished but I was inducing new swirls during waxing

I think I have sloved the problem I used the PC again this weekend and really worked the polish at speed 6 for a much longer time and removed residue with a microfibre drying towel

It appeared to me that unless the polish is worked in and completely removed you can undo all the hard work with the PC as the polish remains abrasive scatching the paint when waxing

Just my observations as a novice but my swirl marks are very much improved in bright sunlight

Can anyone recommend a product and a proceedure for metalic black paint that will give a wet look other than wax?

Accumulator
03-01-2004, 12:08 PM
leowcj- Yes, the 05937 will work better than the SMR. It will REMOVE the marring rather than fill it. The SMR uses fillers, some of which were probably cleaned off by the SRP. I`d work it by hand in your case, but be prepared for a big job of work. The SRP doesn`t fill much, especially when you have black paint. So get the marring out as best you can FIRST. Pick a small area and work it until it`s right. Be pepared to try 3M`s PI-III RC (pn 05933) if you need it, it`s milder than it sounds.

James TT-Griot`s polishes are a pain. I used them for quite a while, and you can do a LOT better. Like the 3M stuff listed above. Or 1Z`s polishes, which are my favorites. The 1Z polishes contain a synthetic "wax" and most last step products will bond to them. Or follow up your polish with the Autoglym`s SRP and EG.

butchdave
03-01-2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by leowcj

After waiting for 30 mins before removing the EGP, I applied the

For best results, you might want to try leaving the EG on a little longer. I see Autoglyms advice has changed, they used to recommend leaving it as long as possible but now they just say leave to dry thoroughly and can take up to an hour in damp or wet conditions.

James TT
03-02-2004, 06:10 AM
Accumulator

Do I use the Autoglym super resin by hand after the machine polish 3 or with PC and if so how should it be removed?

Thanks

togwt
03-02-2004, 08:10 AM
Quote: Do I use the Autoglym super resin by hand after the machine polish 3 or with PC and if so how should it be removed?

~One mans opinion / observation~

·ERP must be given sufficient time to cross-link before removal, as this offers better durability and a deeper shine, plus is easier to remove the longer it is left to cure, 1 –2 hours plus is recommended

After sufficient drying time do a quick swipe test with your finger. If no smearing or drag is evident, the product is ready to be removed

·Removal: product can be removed with a 100% cotton cloth, a Microfiber cloth or a with a Porter-Cable random orbital polisher and a non-cutting type (Grey) foam pad

·SG will work using a quick wipe-on/off technique providing the product is applied very thin. If you apply the product too heavy, it is necessary to wait until it dries. You can also achieve an excellent finish by applying one whisper-thin coat followed by a rich coat and allow to dry over night.

·SG is formulated from amino functional resins and therefore must be given sufficient time to cross-link, >24 hours, but anytime up to 72 hour period is recommended before any other products are applied. This provides better durability and a deeper shine

~ Hope this helps ~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect * so i question everything*

JimS
03-02-2004, 08:44 AM
On my white truck I remove swirls with Poorboys SSR1, then use Pro Polish to finish the surface and then seal with EX. Very simple and very effective.

vapore0n
03-02-2004, 09:55 AM
question about orbital usage. Can you use a terry to work 3m smr in and remove it with the black foam padding of the orbital? I too used 3mSMR on my black WRX. I worked on it using medium pressure and then light to no pressure, just the weight of the buffer. It did remove a lot of swirls (the ones caused by someone washing my car with a brush :scared ), but some are still there. After NXT it doesnt look that bad though, but I think NXT isnt as slick as multiple coats of SG, but it looks better though :up I just dont want to wear of the clear. Any recomendations on AIO using an orbital? Use terry and black padd for AIOx2?

James TT
03-02-2004, 11:10 AM
TOGWT

Sorry to keep asking questions

What is ERP and what is SG

PS Where are you ihn Florida we visit Clearwater 2 or 3 times a year

vapore0n
03-02-2004, 12:21 PM
SG would be Klasse SG sealant

Accumulator
03-02-2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by James TT

Accumulator

Do I use the Autoglym super resin by hand after the machine polish 3 or with PC and if so how should it be removed?

Thanks

SRP works great by machine, but it`s fine by hand too. *I* do it by machine about 99.9% of the time. I usually remove it with a plush MF after it`s fully dried (*I* wouldn`t use a foam pad or terry to remove it). It does NOT get hard to remove if you wait a long time, in fact, it`s easier. SRP is a VERY easy to use, forgiving product. Just don`t let it set up on your trim, it can sometimes stain it. Never a problem (*FOR ME*) if I get it off right away, but you should probably keep it off it.

vapore0n- I don`t like terry pads on machines, I just use foam. AIO by machine is still *VERY* mild, but it works great and it really foolproof. Virtually NO way to mess up.