PDA

View Full Version : Proper application of 3M SMR?

George Chronis
02-29-2004, 12:06 PM
Obviously I`m new to detailing. The only products I`ve used so far are Zaino. I`m thinking of starting from scratch and follow this process:

1. Wash with dawn (rinse without end of hose on and blue towel)

2. Clay bar and lubricate with Z-7 (1/2 cap in 12 ounces)

3. Wash whole car with Z-7 (1 cap per gallon)

4. Clean (3M Swirl Mark Remover)

5. Polish (3M Imperial Hand Glaze)

6. Final Polish (P21S Gloss Enhancing Paint Cleanser)

7. Wash (Zaino Z-7)

8. Wipe (Zaino Z-6)

9. Mix 5 drops of ZFX into 1 half a bottle of Z5 (shake for 90 sec, let sit for 5 min, shake again for 10 sec)

10. Apply Z5 using a circular motion with a pad moist in Z6. Go over the same area doing back and forth on top and up and down on side panels. Let sit for 20 minutes

11. Apply Z6

12. Repeat 10-11 one more time

13. Mix ZFX with Z2 (1 oz - half bottle to 5 drops)

14. Apply Z6

15. Repeat 13-14 two more times

Any comments on this are more than welcome. What I would really like to know though, is how to properly apply the 3M SMR. Here`s what I read:

“Rub until dry, turning the cloth to assist clean-up. Repeat as necessary.â€

Does this mean that I don`t apply, let dry and buff, but I just rub until it`s gone? I haven`t done this before. I thought all these products are: apply, let dry, buff.

Thanks!

Accumulator
02-29-2004, 12:31 PM
George Chronis- Welcome to Autopia. I`d change your proposed process, to the point of not even USING the 3M SMR. But if you do use it, yeah, you work it unil it`s pretty much gone and what`s left has dried to a light haze. It won`t all go away.

BUT...it`s really not the optimal thing for your application (IMO, of course). Ditto for the IHG. The SMR is a so-so swirl remover. It`s more of a swirl-HIDER and the stuff that hides them needs to be washed off before you use your Zaino (hello returning swirls). The IHG is just some oils and solvents that ALSO hide swirls, and it`s just more stuff you have to clean off before using Zaino. In fact, the GEPC will probably clean off most of those products (while leaving a little residual stuff if its own).

Better to replace steps 4-6 with a different polishing regimen, using products that DO NOT leave fillers on the paint. Stuff like Menzerna, or 3M`s PI-III MG (pn 05937), or something similar. THEN do the wash, Zaino, etc.

You`ll save time/effort and get better results if you stick with products that compliment each other, or at least ones that aren`t gonna clash.

Oh, and there`s no real need to wash with Dawn. It`s pretty hard on paint, rubber seals, etc. and the claying and polishing will clean up anything a regular wash misses. Just make the wash solution extra strong and it should work fine. And *I* never need to rewash after claying (well, I clay while I wash and give it a quick follow-up pass with the mitt), but you`ll know if you need to. If you don`t see clay/lube residue, just skip it and polish.

George Chronis
02-29-2004, 12:37 PM
Hey Accumulator, thanks for the response. You make it easier and more economical than I thought it would be. Some details about my car, before other posters contribute opinions: I have a Dark Shadow Grey 2003 Cobra. Bought brand new. Always treated with Zaino since day one. Happy with the results. Got scratches this winter because of brush car washes. Not severe, but they are there under sunlight or bright lights at night.

Thanks again for the response,

George.