PDA

View Full Version : Nxt + #16

Pages : [1] 2 3

Scottwax
02-29-2004, 12:00 AM
I finally decided to top NXT with a carnauba and figured I`d try #16 Professional Paste Wax first. I haven`t used #16 in a while and forgot just how nice a look it has. Anyway, on top of NXT, #16 added noticable wetness to the paint. It really is a nice look. I`ve got it on my car and a metallic black BMW 745 (took pics of it) that I should have posted in the next few days.

If you are looking for something to top NXT with and have a container of #16, it is definitely worth trying.

topnotchtouch
02-29-2004, 12:22 AM
Scott,

That is something I have wanted to try myself. I have a tin of #16 on order. I am also curious to see what #26 would look like over NXT. I am hoping it will add some wetness as well as darken the paint a bit.

The weather here just hasn`t been very cooperative lately. Things warmed up a bit today and I spent a good bit of the afternoon detailing the interior of my Mustang. I am hoping that tomorrow I will be able to wash, clay and apply a layer or two of NXT and top it with #26.

Scottwax
02-29-2004, 12:32 AM
Bob-it was supposed to be 62 and partly sunny, but ended up being only 58 and cloudy the whole day. I am so ready for 100 degree days!

C-MDX
02-29-2004, 12:35 AM
:showpics

Scottwax
02-29-2004, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by C-MDX

:showpics

Originally posted by Scottwax

I should have posted in the next few days.

How about #20 topped with #16?

http://www.photohost.org/gallery/data/500/10992004_Expidition.jpg

http://www.photohost.org/gallery/data/500/10992003_SilveradoSSv21.jpg

tguil
02-29-2004, 06:54 AM
A question about topping with any carnauba --- When you feel it is time to reapply the sealant (in this case NXT), how will prepare the paint surface before it`s application? Will you remove the carnauba top coat with a polish?

Until last summer I used only carnauba waxes, no sealants. I have been so impressed by the sealants that I have chosen (MPPP and BLACKFIRE) that I have not even considered topping them. The MPPP is on a silver Tacoma. The BLACKFIRE is on a black Dodge Hemi. I QD the tacoma with Quik Detail and the Hemi with BLACKFIRE QD. Both trucks are daily drivers and see a lot of dirt and dust.

That said, I`m slightly tempted to get out my 10 year old can of #16 and layer a coat over the BLACKFIRE before my next detail just to see what happens.

Tom

imported_memnuts
02-29-2004, 07:01 AM
What is the difference between #16 and #26? Professional vs customer grouping, ingredients, cleaners, etc.?

Jesstzn
02-29-2004, 11:12 AM
Here is a good thread on #16

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30159&highlight=meguiars+16%2A

imported_memnuts
02-29-2004, 11:27 AM
Thanks Jesstzn. :bow

Accumulator
02-29-2004, 11:29 AM
Scottwax- Glad to hear you`re liking the #16. It`s not EXACTLY like P21S/S100, but *IMO* if everyone who uses THOSE waxes tried #16, Meg`s wouldn`t be able to make enough of it!

blkZ28Conv- They are really two pretty different waxes. The #26 part of this is from memory, as I haven`t used #26 in ages, but besides being in different "lines" (#16 is in the old Mirror Glaze line, it`s Meg`s original, thus oldest wax, unchanged since introduction), they contain very different ingredients. Both have NO cleaners, they`re "straight waxes". The #16 is a "heavier" wax, it`ll hide imperfections better and it goes/stays on thicker, possibly leaving more of a "sacrificial barrier". And the #16 seems "brighter", wetter and more reflective (at least to me). *I* found it easier to use than #26.

The #26 "darkens" and "deepens" the paint more, so maybe it has more oils in it (that`s the feeling I got when I used it). They definitely give two very different looks, and it`s not a subtle difference. If you compared them side-by-side (in the can or on the car) you`d see what I mean.

EDIT- Jesstzn- good linking/thinking. I couldn`t type as fast as you found that post :D

imported_memnuts
02-29-2004, 11:51 AM
Thanks Accumulator,

After reading Scott`s, Bob`s (Aurora 4.0) and your post I might have to add another never to be completely used up container of wax to the arsenal. ;)

Accumulator
02-29-2004, 12:35 PM
blkZ28Conv- "never to be completely used up" is *right*, a can of #16 will literally last for years. Heh heh, for as long as you`ve been doing this, isn`t it funny that you haven`t tried it yet? ;)

Spilchy
02-29-2004, 12:53 PM
I just finished with a coat of #16 topped with Souveran x 2 a day apart.

My tub of #16 arrived from Autopia and when I opened it, it was cracked in thirds :( But it still worked :D

imported_memnuts
02-29-2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Accumulator

blkZ28Conv- "never to be completely used up" is *right*, a can of #16 will literally last for years. Heh heh, for as long as you`ve been doing this, isn`t it funny that you haven`t tried it yet? ;)

Yes :o,

I always thought #16 and #26 were interchangeable (same basic product). That`s what so great about Autopia - unlimited amount of knowledge about products, detailing in general, opinions, techniques, sources of error, and corrective actions. :bounce

Accumulator
02-29-2004, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Spilchy

I just finished with a coat of #16 topped with Souveran x 2 a day apart.

My tub of #16 arrived from Autopia and when I opened it, it was cracked in thirds :( But it still worked :D

How`d you like the #16/Souveran combo? I think I know what you were after there..

Yeah, the #16 WILL crack apart. It`s a funny product; it sorta "hardens" in the can but it still "liquefies" quite easily. IMO the "liquefying" bit is one of the reasons it works so well by machine (not that there`s anything wrong with hand applicaton). Remember to try to think of it as a "liquid wax that`s only solid in the can".

blkZ28Conv- Yeah, there isn`t much that doesn`t get touched on here. :bounce indeed!