PDA

View Full Version : Question about painting trim...please help

flamed03vert
02-27-2004, 10:45 PM
I would like to consider repainting my black trim but have a couple of questions since I am not a paint expert. What consumer paint products would be resistant to chemicals, environment, etc. I just don`t want to spend the time and money painting if it will not be somewhat resistant to the elements. All I can think of so far is the Bumper and Trim paint which I believe creates a flexible surface. Or dare I say, hi-temp ceramic paint? Also, I assume I need to primer the trim first. If anyone has tried this let me know how it turned out.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Brad

Jesstzn
02-27-2004, 11:33 PM
What black trim?

Autoeng
02-28-2004, 08:55 AM
I had an old Honda that had black rubber / plastic trim around it that had faded. Picked up some trim paint (like you referred to), taped off the trim, covered the car with an old blanket for overspreay protection, and it came out great. Took two cans. Lasted very well through washings and road dirt. Hint - get one of those 99 cent paint can handle sprayers to save your finger.

flamed03vert
02-28-2004, 10:09 PM
Jesstzn,

You`re right, I wasn`t very specific. I am thinking of the trim around the windows and maybe the wiper cowl. Both are plastic.

Thanks,

Brad

jasonatv22
03-01-2004, 11:28 AM
For harder plastics, like the surrounds on the popup lights on my Miata, I`ve used Krylon Fusion, which is more a dye than a paint. But if you can`t remove the part from the car, or if it is rubber or softer plastic, don`t go with the Fusion.

I decided to go with it for this because the alt.motorcycle.dirt (or whatever) people seem to really like it for the plastic parts of their bikes. It`s shiny though, so if you want matte, might not be for you.

thinksnow
03-01-2004, 12:05 PM
onlybyhisgrace or Autoeng,

If you have done or will do this, please post pics detailing the individual steps taken. I posted a while back about Forever Black and it seems to be holding up well. Problem is, I`m not willing to do that every 2-3 months if it turns out durability is suspect. It would be interesting to see your successes if you decide to follow through with the painting.

Autoeng
03-01-2004, 12:10 PM
I don`t have the car anymore but I just took a some newspaper and using painting tape masked off above and below the trim about a foot or so. This trim ran all the way around the car. I layed newspaper over the tires and a blanket ove the trunk, hood and roof. Used back and forth spray motion covering lightly with each coat. I probably went around the car 5 or 6 times until it was dark enough.

Turned out great. You couldn`t tell it was painted and lasted well. Still looked good after I sold the car 3 years later.

thinksnow
03-01-2004, 12:45 PM
Well done. That`s what I was looking for--much obliged.