PDA

View Full Version : Want to follow the proper steps, but would it be a waste ?

Pages : [1] 2

rcnano
02-26-2004, 11:14 PM
Hi all,

I`m new to this forum, but have been lurking behind the scenes for quite a while. I must say :xyxthumbs to all of you guys out there...this is truly a great place!

Anyhow, I`m pretty much new to detailing, but find everything I`ve read so far fascinating. Basically, I`m planning to try detailing my car within the next few weeks to prep it for the spring/summer.

I read the huge compilation by that David...from the proper wash to seal/wax.

I`d like to follow all the steps completely, but have yet to get the PC polisher, I`m figuring I`m going to be spending $250 just to get started...and I`m a poor college student

However, since I`m a newbie though...I`m thinking that I might end up buying products that I won`t even use correctly?

I`d appreciate any input you guys have on this...?

Patrick
02-26-2004, 11:23 PM
One word..........

Experiment....

And of course, have fun...and learn...

fieval_72
02-26-2004, 11:34 PM
hey there...i`m a new guy too and i see you`re from ny...from what i can tell meguiar`s dual action cleaner polish (dacp) seems to be very popular here....depending on the condition of your car of course....clay the car prior if you wish....you can finish up with a wax or sealant...this is just the very basic stuff i`ve picked up so far and it fits me well because i was in a similar situation...if you get the smaller sizes it shouldn`t put you back more then $40...throw in a few microfiber towels and ya good to go...autobarn might have the stuff...i think they`re based in long island or you can can get the stuff right from the meguiar site....good luck:xyxthumbs

rcnano
02-27-2004, 01:12 AM
hmm...I`m thinkin about biting the bullet and just getting the PC 7336...lol right now I just have my single speed ryobi

Murph1083
02-27-2004, 06:40 AM
:welcome ..............just read the other post that are out there and like Patrick said, experiment. I think that what we all did.

Nebraska99
02-27-2004, 07:40 AM
Forget about buying the polisher if you are on a budget. Do it by hand. Its fun and not hard at all if you follow the directions.

Don
02-27-2004, 07:42 AM
Your first step should be to get the PC and the pads. That is the single major purchase you`ll have to make. Then until you get the "spare cash" to buy all the polishes etc recommended here, there are quite a few "over the counter" products that can give excellent results. Both MOTHERS and MEGUIARS make `step` systems that are really good AND very inexpensive.

With the proper technique, even Turtle Wax can produce quality results. Get the buffer, then build your chemical inventory as you can

togwt
02-27-2004, 08:46 AM
renano :welcome to Autopia

As you will see it’s a ‘very user friendly’ place, the people on this forum are very knowledgeable, and are more than willing to share their knowledge. The one thing that seems to stand out here compared to other special interest forums is a spirit of "open mindednessâ€, it’s not marque or brand specific and no opinion expressed is ‘wrong’ just different.

Of the two schools of thought represented, Porter-Cable and foam pads or hand application, IMO go with hand application and Megs. Products. Once finances allow step up to a PC.

I’ve put this together to help you ‘find your way around’, it’s a lot of reading but worthwhile.

After reading the House Rules (upper left of the home page) that will tell you a bit about our operating procedures (and then Acronyms) Suggest you start at David’s guide (Learn icon – Car Care Topics) and/or (Forum – University) you could also research FAQ (go to Interact-Features-FAQ) or Interact (Search) and then ask your questions on (Forums - University) there are also tips on products under Shop (How-To) plus be sure to check on the discounts available to forum members. And there’s the (Reviews) section that includes the Hall of Fame, where contributing members have posted their evaluation of products.

The Autopia “Guide to detailing eBook†(eBook Subscription) covers most facets of vehicle detailing, it only costs $9.95, and that money helps to support this forum. If Autopia solves just one of your detailing problems it’s worth the price of admission

"Learn the prep b4 using good products, it will save you $$$ in the long run." hondaguy2582

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wastedâ€/

justadumbarchitect *so I question everything*

:welcome

imported_CBX Carl
02-27-2004, 10:24 AM
Mistakes are a part of any learning process. Continue to research the board and get started.

Accumulator
02-27-2004, 10:53 AM
rcnano- Welcome to Autopia! As you`ll notice, some of us are pretty opinionated about certain things ;) And so, note that the following is just *MY* $0.02

Much as I love doing almost EVERYTHING by machine, I`d recommend that you work by hand for now. The PC`s a LOT of money for someone in your position. Better to buy all the wash/dry/polish stuff that is truly indispensable.

Working by hand makes POLISH selection a little more important. Polishing/marring removal is probably the biggest challenge you`ll be facing. While everyone has their favorite products, I`ve tried a LOT of stuff, and *I* think that the 1Z polishes are just INCREDIBLY user-friendly. I honestly can`t imagine anyone thinking they went wrong with those, and I think they work quite well by hand. IMO, you`ll really like them. Then just follow up with whatever wax/sealant you decide upon.

As everyone said, read up- especially on how to wash/dry. That`s where SO many problems originate.

Patrick
02-27-2004, 11:17 AM
Its very often said on this forum, that process matters a great deal, this is true, however proper products in my opinion, play an extremely important roll as well....Theres a ton of products out there, some good some not so good. Its up to you, to decipher what works for your given situation. Autopia is the #1 place to learn about them, and hear from current users, what works for them, and why they like it. One cannot and should not rely solely on what is said on a particular brands label, as it is only marketing jargon to make you grab it off the shelf......Once you start learning brand names of the various products used here, use the search function and do some research, and when all else fails, ask away !:xyxthumbs

teamvegas
02-27-2004, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Don M

With the proper technique, even Turtle Wax can produce quality results. Get the buffer, then build your chemical inventory as you can

Remember it is the process not the product that you use . If your paint is in pretty good condition already you wouldn`t need the PC IMO. You can do all of your work by hand. Check out Scottwax`s work. He has the most unbelievable results and all by hand i believe. :bow

Just my $.02.

Good Luck!!!!!!

-Trent

teamvegas
02-27-2004, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Patrick

Its very often said on this forum, that process matters a great deal, this is true, however proper products in my opinion, play an extremely important roll as well....Theres a ton of products out there, some good some not so good. Its up to you, to decipher what works for your given situation. Autopia is the #1 place to learn about them, and hear from current users, what works for them, and why they like it. One cannot and should not rely solely on what is said on a particular brands label, as it is only marketing jargon to make you grab it off the shelf......Once you start learning brand names of the various products used here, use the search function and do some research, and when all else fails, ask away !:xyxthumbs

I couldn`t agree more. :xyxthumbs

rcnano
02-27-2004, 12:32 PM
WOW...I never expected such enthusiastic response. THANKS guys.

Well for years now, I`ve been experiementing by hand with different brands and products. I`ve experienced decent results with megs 3-step system I guess...but haven`t tried it yet on my current car.

Anyway, I have no problem doing all the polishing/waxing by hand...but it really just seems like my own hand power is NOT enough. lol...or maybe I`m just lazy.

HOWEVER...I just recently learned about proper techniques, so we`ll see how things go from there.

rcnano
03-31-2004, 06:42 PM
UPDATE:

I`ve since squirreled away some money to do my first detail during spring break, and have a couple mods/fixes planned for my car as well.

well last night I ordered the PC kit from CT (its already on the way!! I can`t wait to take delivery!! :xyxthumbs )

I justified it as I COULD use another sander for rennovations/etc...but something tells me the PC will be almost strictly for car duties.

anyhow, I`m down to the next dilemna again. I already have Meguiar`s DC 3-step system ..but not entirely satisfied with it

94 325i `vert - dark blue

The results weren`t spectacular, so I`m thinkin about moving to the next step, and saving the DC system for future beaters/sister`s car/etc. Seems like a waste though

So this is what I have in mind so far...I`m probably gonna get the DM kit from CMA as it seems like a good deal for the better backing plate and comes with pads.

Wash

Clay w/ mothers

Polish w/ 3M FI2

Follow with Klasse AIO

Seal with Klasse SG

Wax w/ P21S

Hows that process sound?

The only problem is, I`m thinkin maybe I should just use the rest of the DC system up first....but I`m DYING to see what the AIO+SG+P21S would look like!

Sorry for the long post..lol