PDA

View Full Version : New guy here, can i get some help plz~!

zzzxpandaxzzz
02-26-2004, 01:40 PM
hey wassup everyone. THis place is awesome. I should of came here long before I started to wash my own car. So here the problem. I just got a brand new car and its been about hmmm... 5-6 months. I washed every week once (sometimes i didn`t but the majority yes). Now i thought just washing with regular car shampoo would work. I use MEgular car wash and i only got it becuase it said that it doesn`t harm clear coat which my car has. I also bought a brush to wash my car. I think this is where i messed up. Now i have swirls on my car. I think the dealership waxed it when i bought it... but i think these swirls are scratches on the paint.

CAn these be remove or buff or SOMETHING???

Your help is greatly needed and greatly apreciated...

ps... i stopped using the brush and now use a diaper cloth but it sucks... any suggestions...

THANKS BIG IN ADVANCE :D

teamvegas
02-26-2004, 02:07 PM
You shouldn`t have too much trouble removing them. Of course depending on the severity of them. Are you using a PC or have any experience with one? They have saved a lot of time for me as well as many others on here. Download the autopia manual. It has lots of great info on getting rid of swirls. Or try this...

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-swirls.html

Also I dont like the diaper. Use a sheepskin or chinille wash mitt. The diaper tends to marr a little bitt from what ive found.

Good luck!!!!

tom p.
02-26-2004, 02:43 PM
Yeah, it`s time for some basic "101" if you are truly interested in refining your processes and minimizing self-inflicted damage to your new car.

I would agree with reviewing the detailing manual...that makes sense. Good luck and your car will thank you for it!

togwt
02-26-2004, 02:57 PM
:welcome to Autopia

As you will see it’s a ‘very user friendly’ place, the people on this forum are very knowledgeable, and are more than willing to share their knowledge. The one thing that seems to stand out here compared to other special interest forums is a spirit of "open mindednessâ€, it’s not marque or brand specific and no opinion expressed is ‘wrong’ just different.

I’ve put this together to help you ‘find your way around’, it’s a lot of reading but worthwhile.

After reading the House Rules (upper left of the home page) that will tell you a bit about our operating procedures (and then Acronyms) Suggest you start at David’s guide (Learn icon – Car Care Topics) and/or (Forum – University) you could also research FAQ (go to Interact-Features-FAQ) or Interact (Search) and then ask your questions on (Forums - University) there are also tips on products under Shop (How-To) plus be sure to check on the discounts available to forum members. And there’s the (Reviews) section that includes the Hall of Fame, where contributing members have posted their evaluation of products.

The Autopia “Guide to detailing eBook†(eBook Subscription) covers most facets of vehicle detailing, it only costs $9.95, and that money helps to support this forum. If Autopia solves just one of your detailing problems it’s worth the price of admission

"Learn the prep b4 using good products, it will save you $$$ in the long run." hondaguy2582

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wastedâ€/

justadumbarchitect *so I question everything*

zzzxpandaxzzz
02-27-2004, 01:33 PM
CRap guys thanks so much. I just recieved an email to DL the detailing guide for free. I must say this place is well... kick ***!:up Hopefully i can get my detailing knowledge up. However im thinking about washing my car tomarrow. So no brush right? And i guess no diaper too... microfiber? never heard of the stuff ... can someone tell me where i can buy this and what i should buy? There`s a whole lot of microfibers out there ... i honestly am overwhelm by everything.

ONCE AGAIN

YOUR HELP IS WELL APPRECIATED~!:D

Accumulator
02-27-2004, 01:48 PM
zzzxpandaxzzz- Welcome to Autopia!

Brushes are generally out of favor here, although some of us use BOAR`S HAIR brushes on certain vehicles and for wheels/undercarriages.

As far as MF stuff, yeah, there`s almost TOO MUCH info here, it *can* get overwhelming. Check out the vendors here, including (hint) Autofiber.com and CMA.

In the meantime, you might try washing with a sheepskin mitt from the local autoparts place (look for a leather lining- get a REAL sheepSKIN). For drying, until you get some WWMFs, use the softest 100% towels you can find (cut off the tags and watch the serged edges).

teamvegas
02-27-2004, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by zzzxpandaxzzz

CRap guys thanks so much. I just recieved an email to DL the detailing guide for free. I must say this place is well... kick ***!:up Hopefully i can get my detailing knowledge up. However im thinking about washing my car tomarrow. So no brush right? And i guess no diaper too... microfiber? never heard of the stuff ... can someone tell me where i can buy this and what i should buy? There`s a whole lot of microfibers out there ... i honestly am overwhelm by everything.

ONCE AGAIN

YOUR HELP IS WELL APPRECIATED~!:D

If you are washing tomorrow than get to autozone and get the turtlewax microfibers. you can order some good ones from www.pakshak.com. Ranney is the guy you will deal with. Very cool guy and great service. Also Walmart has some MF`s that are 5 for $5. They dont tend to last as long but they work well.

No brush for washing. Get a sheepskin wash mitt or chinnille wash sponge from the above mentioned. They are $5 bucks at walmart adn i think they are the same at autozone. Leave the brushes for the wheel wells and tires. You can order some paint safe brushes from autopia. They are made by Oxo. Paint safe and work really well.

Hope this helps some.

:xyxthumbs :xyxthumbs

-Trent

imported_mirrorfinishman
02-27-2004, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by teamvegas

No brush for washing. Get a sheepskin wash mitt or chinnille wash sponge

zzzxpandaxzzz,

This is very good advice. I like to use a sheepskin, however either one is much safer than using a brush.

imported_ajbarnes
02-27-2004, 07:08 PM
:welcome

zzzxpandaxzzz
02-28-2004, 03:31 AM
for drying? do you guys like the california water blade... its so fast~

but can i be bad for the paint?

Don
02-28-2004, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by zzzxpandaxzzz

for drying? do you guys like the california water blade... its so fast~

but can i be bad for the paint?

You just have to be careful when using the blade since it can trap any particles of grit between it and the car`s surface possibly scratching the paint. The waffle weave microfiber towels are the favorites since they absorb 99% of the water by just blotting.

Blotting = less rubbing = less chance of scratching.