PDA

View Full Version : Zaino on light colors

Sab0921
02-25-2004, 02:26 AM
First autopia post for me:D

I have a Desert Silver Metallic RSX, and consensus on this board seems to be Zaino is the best for light colors, and for the finish type i would like(mirror like reflection). I`ve gone all out with Zaino about one year ago, but did not have the proper technique, come Spring Break, once again I will try to gain the finish i desire, i plan to

1)dawn wash(reccomended by Sal Zaino, and most Zaino users)

2)Clay Bar Z-18

3)z-7 wash

4)Z-6

5)z-2 + ZFX x 3

6)z-5 (no ZFX?)

7)Z-6

my question is, in my more ignorant days, I`ve put in minor swirls, which are very difficult to see on the DSM color, but should i prep with 1z polish, or should the claybar suffice for prep work on the car(15 months old)

-Sanjay

rstype
02-25-2004, 03:02 AM
1Z Paint Polish works very well for swirled finishes in good condition. Here`s my suggestion...

1.) Wash (any shampoo) & Dry

2.) 1Z PP (do you have a PC? or will you be doing it by hand?)

3.) Clay with Z18 and use alcohol/water mix as lubricant

Originally posted by BW

Alcohol/water mix, roughly 50/50. It doesn`t make the clay fall apart because it helps prevent `folding in` water (evaporates quickly). Plus you can get a true feel of how clean the surface is with no oils to add artificial slickness. No scratching problems so far, as long as you use a lot, and that`s not a problem, it being so cheap.

4.) The Zaino - it`s hard for me to tell you exactly the steps. If your paint is dusty, then go ahead and QD (Z6) it. If you only want one layer of Z5, then you don`t need ZFX for it.

Good luck! :)

EDIT: Note there are other ways to do it as well. Some prefer using a traditional QD lube for claying. I personally find IPA/water to work well, and it saves the washing-before-Zaino or IPA-before-Zaino step.

imported_jgv
02-25-2004, 07:17 AM
Interesting idea, IPA/water as clay lube...

Anyway, I always clay before polishing cause claying will always mar the surface (even if it`s micro-mar). The last step before sealing/waxing should be the most delicate possible, finishing pad+AIO, finishing pad+Menzerna FP, etc.

imported_BretFraz
02-25-2004, 07:29 AM
:welcome to Autopia

On that color I`d probably skip the Z5. If you remove the swirls with a paint polish, that should be good enough. On a dark color Z5 helps but on light colors, Z2 is the way to go IMO.

Your steps should be sorta like this:

1. Wash

2. Clay

3. Polish

4. Wipe down car with Z6.

5. Z2 + ZFX - 3 coats

6. Final Z6 wipe down

Don`t forget wheels, tires, glass, trim, interior, etc. After all this your car should look awesome.

Sab0921
02-25-2004, 02:06 PM
Thanks guys,

I have a PC, but i was planning to apply the 1z pp by hand, as im a little apprehensive about using the PC on my car, once i get more experirence with it, then I will use it, but for now, im afraid of putting more swirls in the finish.

and bret, i was planning on wheels trim etc... before the paintwork begins, as to not get any of that material on the paint after im done polishing, does that seem to work? and now i guess ill forego the Z-5 and save a lil $$ :up

otherwise, thanks a lot, looking forward to getting to work on this, I`ll post pics once done!

imported_jgv
02-25-2004, 03:24 PM
Hey, you can`t go wrong with the PC, a polishing pad (misted) and PP at 3-4 speed. It`s fools proof, in fact you`ll do more mar if you use it by hand than with the PC. Just don`t make pressure with it, let the machines weight do the job, work a small surface each time (ex: 1/4 hood), work the product till it starts to dry, stop and wipe off the residues.

Good work :up

Sab0921
02-25-2004, 06:07 PM
I can`t thank you guys enough for your help, i`ll try my luck with the PC, but i`ll try it first on my sister`s swirl covered Accord, of there is no harm no foul done to her car(hell, maybe i`ll improve the finish a little), ill run it on the RSX, hopefully, it`ll come out reflecting like a mirror :) i`ll post pics when im done