PDA

View Full Version : asking for a recommendation on a polisher

voyager
09-18-2004, 04:31 PM
I`m more novice then pro but trying to learn. Next step is buying an angle buffer. Don`t want to break the bank if I can avoid it. DeWalts and Mikitas look nice but kind of pricey. Would like to stay around $100 if possible.
The Porter Cable 7424 looks like folks like it but I want to make sure I have one that I can add a compounding pad to to help take out lite scratches (in the middle of a phased paint job on my old car).
Any thoughts on the best make, model and source to be looking at?
All thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Tim

rabbi
09-18-2004, 04:36 PM
When I purchase my Porter Cable 7424 it`ll be from Dwayne @ Premium AutoCare. Call and talk to him. A lot of DC members will give you their input. Oh yea! Welcome to DC. You`ll get plenty of help from these friendly people.

perry
09-18-2004, 05:45 PM
The normal rotary polisher can be dangerous if you haven`t used it. There are tools like the DeWalt 849, Makita 9227, and Porter Cable 7428. There are off brand rotary tools for under $100 if you think you`d like to try one of those.. I think it`s Harbor Freight that has them.

The PC 7424 and 7336 (same machine really) are dual action polishers and are completely safe with almost zero chance of you burning through the paint. The downside to that is that defect removal is a very time consuming process, whereas a rotary polisher would make quick work out of it. It is, however, much faster than working by hand!

There`s a Group Buy going on at Autopia for the 7424 with a price of $99. They need a commitment from 20 people before it happens. I believe there was a post about it in the Main Street forum. You can get a 7336 from Lowes for $109 and if you sign up for the new movers program on their website they will give you a one-time-use 10% off coupon.

jdub
09-18-2004, 11:50 PM
do you get the backing plate when you buy the pc 7424? like from here, http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/a/port/pr7424.htm?L+coastest+xqxd0189ff847584+1089355123

Just want to get everything lined up before I make a purchase.

Focusedonsound
09-19-2004, 12:19 AM
Voyager, Welcome to DC you will probably find a lot more information here than you ever event thought you would want to know!

As perry said a rotary can be a very dangerous tool in the wrong hands! It takes some practice to get it perfect.

With the PC I was very hesitat at first I had read tons and tons of posts to help convince me that it was the right thing. I ended up purchasing mine Used off of ebay and picked up a few pads (Cutting pad, 2 polishing pads, and 1 finishing pad) (which is not a bad way to start) I have since added to my pad selection however the 4 that I started with lasted me for quite some time. The pc was very easy to learn (if you do a search for PC Tutorials i made a post which included links to all of the available info) Since I got my PC I figured I would be using it once or twice a year. I use it practicly every weekend and find myself offering to help friends clean up their cars just so I can use it.

perry
09-19-2004, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by jdub
do you get the backing plate when you buy the pc 7424? like from here, http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/a/port/pr7424.htm?L+coastest+xqxd0189ff847584+1089355123

Just want to get everything lined up before I make a purchase.

That particular 7424 from Coastal Tool does come with a backing plate. They throw it in, as well as the 6" counterweight that the 7336 uses, for free. It`s the "6" Hook & Loop Contour Pad #18002" that is mentioned.

Here (http://www.detailcity.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5077) is the thread Focusedonsound mentioned.

voyager
09-19-2004, 07:58 AM
Thanks to one and all for all the thoughts and insights. I`m thinking the PC is the right place to start.

JimS
09-19-2004, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by voyager
Thanks to one and all for all the thoughts and insights. I`m thinking the PC is the right place to start.

The PC is the right place to start and one more thing you ought to think about.

This website is provided by our friend Dwayne at www.premiumautocare.com

It is a commonly held positon that we posters need to consider buying our stuff from those that sponser this site so you might consider going to that website, getting the phone number and calling Dwayne. He`ll sell you what you need and no more. The price will be right and be sure to tell him you post here because there are money saving benefits to being a DC member.

norahcrv
09-19-2004, 10:57 AM
Voyager,

:welcome to DC!!

There is no equal to Dwayne & PAC in the Customer Service department, IMHO!!
Read up on the tutorials, get an idea what you want, and contact him. He`ll guide you the rest of the way!
Don`t forget to ask for your DC discount!!