PDA

View Full Version : tips on cleaning non-cleared polished wheel?

phatfarm
02-24-2004, 06:39 PM
I polished the lips on my wheels in october, and since winter is such a pain, I have not had time to really clean my wheels. I washed the car for the first time in a month and for the life of me, cannot remove the dirt/brake dust/embedded particles from my wheels!!!

Normally, a soak of simple green with a scrubbing pad works fine to remove the grit. I also have a fairly harsh wheel brush which still doesnt work that well..

Nothing I do will remove these particles! Anyone have recommendations on what cleaners to use on non-cleared wheels?? I have no problem marring the finish as I can just buff the shine back with polish or even rouge

http://www.byubyu.com/ebay/sig_pic.jpg

shaf
02-25-2004, 10:27 PM
Nice E34 you have there. :up

Have you tried or looked into any wheel polishes? Since you have non-coated wheels that should work in your case.

phatfarm
02-26-2004, 04:58 PM
Thanks!

I`ve tried polish, but it only polishes the areas that aren`t coated with dirt/brake dust, I think i need something harsher. If I can`t find anything, I may just wet sand them down again and refinish them :nixweiss

6']['9
02-26-2004, 05:00 PM
you could try wenol and metal-gloss, i cleaned my nonclear coated rims with that and a wool pad with my dewalt

imported_mirrorfinishman
02-27-2004, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by phatfarm

Anyone have recommendations on what cleaners to use on non-cleared wheels??

I would recommend using Meguiar`s Hot Rims /Cool Care All Wheel Cleaner. http://www.meguiars.com/product_showroom/showproducts_template.cfm?SrcLine=CW

phatfarm
03-05-2004, 12:19 PM
I`ve tried using hot rims on my polished wheel, but it seems "eat" (for lack of a better word) the polished finish, kind of like hard water spots but 10x worse. i end up having to repolish them afterwards.

metko
03-05-2004, 03:45 PM
If I understand you correctly, then you may want to try a bit of clay on the areas where you are having trouble. I never trash my old clay for this exact reason. It works great for getting some really weird stuff off of some really weird places. I have used it on bumpers, license plates and wheel wells with good results. Using it dry or wet depends on the situation.

teamvegas
03-05-2004, 06:09 PM
I have also use clay for this situation. Give it a shot. If its not cleared you dont have to worry about scrathing it too bad.