PDA

View Full Version : superblack 350z towel scratches

bigwes
02-24-2004, 08:34 AM
Hello fellas,

I am new to the autopia forum. Had my z for going on 3 weeks now. Love it to death. Wash it about 3-4 times a week. I waxed it the other day and wiped a little to hard on the roof and made some very minor surface scratches, you really can`t see them unless you get in perfect light and lean down. I am juggling the idea of taking it to a proffesional detailer and letting him polish the scratches out and put a new coat of wax on her. Would this be a good move. Is there any polish out there that doesn`t harm the paint at all??? My paint is in perfect condition other than the hood problem...

bigwes

BlueDragonZ
02-24-2004, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by bigwes

Hello fellas,

I am new to the autopia forum. Had my z for going on 3 weeks now. Love it to death. Wash it about 3-4 times a week. I waxed it the other day and wiped a little to hard on the roof and made some very minor surface scratches, you really can`t see them unless you get in perfect light and lean down. I am juggling the idea of taking it to a proffesional detailer and letting him polish the scratches out and put a new coat of wax on her. Would this be a good move. Is there any polish out there that doesn`t harm the paint at all??? My paint is in perfect condition other than the hood problem...

bigwes

Congrats on the new Z and WELCOME to Autopia. :xyxthumbs

I wouldn`t spend the money taking it to a proffesional. When you spend enough time on this board you will know why. Anyway I would try 1Z Paint Polish for newer paint http://www.autopia-carcare.com/1z-930306.html

I personally have used this product on my Z and it`s AWESOME. In the Spring I will be using this product along with a PC to really get all of my minor swirls/scratches out.

What products are you using on your Z right now? If you`re not already, I would suggest checking out Autopia full line of detailing and drying towels. I have these and would not use anything else on my Z. Good luck and see you around the board. :xyxthumbs

jimmybuffit
02-25-2004, 04:04 AM
Welcome! In addition to BlueDragonZ` fine comments, I`ll stress that you should lose the towel(s) that caused the problem. High Quality 16x16 Microfiber towels may be the best investment you can make for the car`s finish. Me? I like the blue from JT International, and for about $2 each, they are hard to beat! Hand wash in Woolite and air dry before use.

A `pro` detailer may not be your best option. Sad to say that our `industry` is full of hacks more concerned about volume than quality.

Spend some time reading the forum, everything you need to learn to accomplish it yourself is here, plus it`ll help you bond with your car!

Jim

raymond_ho2002
02-25-2004, 04:30 AM
If you plan on having your car taken care of by knowledged professionals for the rest of the time that you have it, then by all means have it pro-polished.

If you`re ever planning on washing, waxing, or polishing it yourself, then don`t get it pro-polished .. yet. At the very least, learn the methods of basic care that will minimize scratching and swirling. Learn about the two bucket wash method, pick up some quality washing accessories. After that, getting it pro-polished isn`t a bad idea, since you will be less likely to undo all that work with bad technique.

Many people on here are polishing and waxing enthusiasts. Perhaps you will become one of us. :)

Once again, learning to wash properly is critical. You only have so much paint that you can grind off in the event that you swirl/scratch it.

bigwes
02-25-2004, 07:58 AM
Thanks for all of the great help guys. This is one of the best forums around. It`s glad to be around guys that share my same passion for their vehicle. I have been called crazy by most of my friends for "clear water" washing my car 2-3 times a week. Hey, if you keep that nasty dirt off of your car the less trouble you will have later on. By the way I just ordered some clear headlight protectors from zcarpart.com and they look great (almost invisible). They offer a great amount of reassurance on the highway.: bounce

raymond_ho2002
02-25-2004, 11:06 AM
If "clear water washing" is rinsing and drying the car without soap or QEW, i`d be inclined to call you crazy too!

If that`s what you`re doing, I`d discourage you from doing it. It might look ok now, but you`ll accumulate a bunch of tiny scratches that will eventually dull the car over time. And that`s the best case scenario, that the scratches will be tiny!

bigwes
02-25-2004, 01:33 PM
I didn`t think I was hurting the paint. I use a bucket of water, a wash mitt, and a Dryall Synthetic towel. You are right I see no visible signs of damage. I will be more careful not to wash as much. I can`t stand to see her dirty though.

raymond_ho2002
02-25-2004, 03:19 PM
You can continue washing in this manner if you add quick and easy wash (QEW) to your water. It encapsulates dirt safely without scratching. Some people here actually use it to do a full wash and don`t use the hose and bucket anymore (including myself). Here`s a site with more info:

http://www.protectall.com/products.htm#Quick

you can order from www.campingworld.com .

-Raymond

bigwes
02-25-2004, 03:57 PM
So you really like this quick and easy wash product. I will look into it for sure. Thanks alot !!!

bigguy
02-25-2004, 04:13 PM
QEW is a great product to aid you in not marring your paint with spider web scratches. I also recommend Poorboy`s Spray and Wash between washing with QEW.

04Runner
02-25-2004, 04:26 PM
Is QEW recommended only for light jobs such as a light layer of dust or would you recommend using it on tougher jobs as well? By tough I don’t mean caked on mud, but for instance a few days after a big rain where the dirt is a little more adhered to the paint. I would be hesitant to do this on a black car. Is there anymore risk of scratching using QEW in this situation as opposed to a regular wash?