PDA

View Full Version : SG does have cleaning ability

Pages : [1] 2 3

spetulla
02-24-2004, 02:01 AM
I started a personal test today involving bill north vs. 24 hour waiting before buffing method.

Upon removing SG using the bill north method some of the sharpie marker I used was removed. I repeated the experiment 3x and found the same result. The amount removed was equal to how much a 5:1 APC dillution removed or even dawn wash :o

The amount removed did not hinder the appearance of the market on the washer surface whatsoever, it looked entirely intact. However it did show up on the MF towel I buffed the SG off the panel with.

I also tried water and the towel on a separate area, it took nothing off.

I tried s100 and a MF towel o na separate area, it took nothing off.

This leaves me to believe that SG has cleaners or somehow can slightly clean.

rstype
02-24-2004, 04:05 AM
Interesting... let the discussion begin. *yawn* What color Sharpie? What brand washer?

spetulla
02-24-2004, 04:58 AM
red sharpie, GE washer

imported_jgv
02-24-2004, 06:13 AM
I had a real life situation where I had to remove permanent marks from the rear bumper of a Porsche, AIO by hand alone didn`t touch it :eek: It removed easily with the PC though :up

Here are the marks:

imported_NHBFAN
02-24-2004, 08:28 AM
It seems AIO ability to clean is greatly enhanced with a PC.

Scottwax
02-24-2004, 09:36 AM
If SG has any cleaning ability, it is extremely mild. Extremely.

imported_Larry A
02-24-2004, 09:48 AM
SG is a liquid. Liquids have solvent in them of some kind.

spetulla
02-24-2004, 02:02 PM
this morning I went ahead and did the next coat for my experiment, once again it took the same amount of sharpie off upon application to the panels. When I buffed off the panels with the dried SG from the previous day it took nothing off, however merely spreading the new SG on the panels took sharpie off.

Just sharing my experience.

GoodnClean
02-24-2004, 02:39 PM
So I think what we`re seeing here is a sharpie isn`t an adequate testbed for cleaning ability :xyxthumbs

tony_passat
02-24-2004, 02:50 PM
Sounds like the solvent is what is cleaning the marker, as evidenced by the dried SG not removing anything - the solvents had completely evaporated, thus no cleaning ability.

Tony

BillNorth
02-24-2004, 04:47 PM
Very interesting. Thanks for posting...

Bill.

imported_memnuts
02-24-2004, 06:47 PM
So from this experiment can we conclude that SG is not layerable?

Of course not! :D

spetulla
02-25-2004, 03:08 AM
some updates.

the sections are sectioned off with painter`s masking tape. i lifted the tape a little today just to look at the thickness. the SG and s100 are clearly quite thickly coating!!! noticably to the touch.. the s100 is about twice as thick as the SG with 3 coats on each.

spetulla
02-25-2004, 03:14 AM
oo also the bill north and normally applied SG sections both are teh same thickness after 3 coats. the Billnorth method without question works... there is a visible layer of bonded SG when i pull the tape up to expose untouched area.

BillNorth
02-25-2004, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by spetulla

oo also the bill north and normally applied SG sections both are teh same thickness after 3 coats. the Billnorth method without question works... there is a visible layer of bonded SG when i pull the tape up to expose untouched area.

This is interesting as well. But this contradicts the findings in your first post. I wonder how this can be explained?

Bill.