PDA

View Full Version : My MF aren`t as plush as new anymore and I think I know why

C-MDX
02-24-2004, 01:51 AM
I`m quite a newb with MFs so bare with me here. I got my MFs 2 weeks ago, it`s been washed 3 times (after I got it, first and second car wash). After the third wash I notice that the back of the Pakshak Ultra fine MF isn`t as plush as new, also with my cheat $1 MFs. What I notice when I wash them (hand wash in all washes) was that I put too much Dawn (that`s just me :D). I rinse pretty well in warm water. I don`t know why the back of the Ultra fine MF isn`t as plush as new anymore, is it normal after a few washes??

rstype
02-24-2004, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by C-MDX

I don`t know why the back of the Ultra fine MF isn`t as plush as new anymore, is it normal after a few washes??

Yes.

AndyC
02-24-2004, 04:10 AM
I switched to washing my wax/polish removal MF`s (mostly Pakshak) in COLD water. I left them to soak overnight with a mild solution of the washing liquid I normally use then rinsed twice in the washing machine and air dryed.

They weren`t particularly dirty as they`ve only been used for buffing off wax & polish and they`ve come up real nice with less static than machine washing.

I`ll certainly be using this method on my wax removal towels from now on!

medic159
02-24-2004, 11:00 AM
Why are you washing with Dawn? Keep in mind thst too much deteregent is not a good thing, there will be residue in the fibers. Better to use hot water with the correct amount of liquid laundry detergent

C-MDX
02-24-2004, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by DFTowel

Keep in mind thst too much deteregent is not a good thing, there will be residue in the fibers.

So maybe that`s why :nixweiss?? If I rinse all my MFs with warm water carefully will all the residue be gone??

Patrick
02-24-2004, 08:25 PM
Throw in a 1/2 cup of vinegar in the washer, with your MF`s......

Gekko
02-24-2004, 08:28 PM
I do this:

1. use a TINY amount of ERA (1/50 of a cap).

2. use low temps for wash/dry (warm/delicate). Too much heat shrinks the fiber.

jstn
02-24-2004, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Patrick

Throw in a 1/2 cup of vinegar in the washer, with your MF`s......

why vinegar? what does it do?

chris0626
02-25-2004, 12:03 AM
C-MDX most of the housewives here (are there any??? :D ) could tell you that excess detergent will reduce the absorbency and softness of the fabric. You gotta rinse and rinse and rinse those puppies! :up

When I wash mine, I do in in the washing machine. I use about half or 1/4 as much detergent as the detergent instructions say, and I set the machine on its double-rinse cycle.

And I have a hunch this could also be why your WWs (in that other thread) aren`t as absorbent as they should be.

C-MDX
02-25-2004, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by Lynn

C-MDX most of the housewives here (are there any??? :D ) could tell you that excess detergent will reduce the absorbency and softness of the fabric. You gotta rinse and rinse and rinse those puppies! :up

When I wash mine, I do in in the washing machine. I use about half or 1/4 as much detergent as the detergent instructions say, and I set the machine on its double-rinse cycle.

And I have a hunch this could also be why your WWs (in that other thread) aren`t as absorbent as they should be.

I just put all my MFs in the rinse cycle. I set the timer to 20 minutes, is that good enough or too short?? BTW I didn`t add any detergent or vinegar in the washer, just plain old water. Do you think 20 minutes in the rinse cycle can wash away all the soap residue?? :nixweiss

chris0626
02-25-2004, 12:59 AM
C-MDX, see my reply in your "disappointed with WW" thread (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33003) in the Detailing Products Discussion forum. That pretty much covers all my thoughts on this topic. I`ll be eager to hear how it "all comes out in the wash." :lol

C-MDX
02-25-2004, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by Lynn

C-MDX, see my reply in your "disappointed with WW" thread (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33003) in the Detailing Products Discussion forum. That pretty much covers all my thoughts on this topic. I`ll be eager to hear how it "all comes out in the wash." :lol

I`m waiting for it to dry. Check back tomorrow :). Can`t wait till my next car wash which will be this weekend :bounce