PDA

View Full Version : First detail since joining the site. NXT.

Pages : [1] 2

brannong
02-23-2004, 09:15 PM
Ok, this is the first detail I have done since joining the site. I have learned so much in a short period of time. Now I am obessed. Anyway and friend of mine got together and did our wive`s cars. His wife`s car is and Acura, mine an Explorer. Both are black. I only posted pics of the Acura because the Explorer still has some water spots on the hood and I want to try some #80 on it before I post. The Acura was washed twice and two coats of NXT were applied waiting an hour between coats. Paint is new and clean so clay didn`t appear necessary.

Thats Kevin in the reflection, dressed for church.

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/15014reflection.jpg

Thats my F-150 in the reflection.

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/15014side_close.jpg

Just a good side view.

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/15014side_far.jpg

ZaneO
02-23-2004, 09:51 PM
Pics aren`t showing up.

I would clay it next time you get ready to clean it up. Even brand new cars need to be clayed.

brannong
02-23-2004, 09:53 PM
I don`t understand why? They show up for me.

GO Dawgs
02-23-2004, 09:57 PM
Man that car is clean, what did you use? I use Nu-Finish on my 82 Regal!!

brannong
02-23-2004, 10:17 PM
Ok, I think I got it now.

Go Dawgs is just kidding. Thats his car in the photos.

Vincent Vega
02-23-2004, 10:34 PM
Very Nice! I agree with the claying comment.

What did you do to Kevin`s head?:D

Mike_Phillips
02-23-2004, 10:39 PM
I know I`m biased, but that first reflection shot in your message sure looks crisp and clear...

What kind of camera did you use? (I`m in the market for a new camera and looking at the Cannon EOS Dgital Rebel)

Mike

ZaneO
02-23-2004, 10:54 PM
Now I see them; very sharp :cool:

TBIRD 38 LX
02-23-2004, 10:55 PM
From one new Autopian to another: Good work man and keep it up!!! Car looks great!

Dave N
02-23-2004, 11:00 PM
Wow, stunning clarity on that reflection shot!!!

You mentioned using #80 -- I used #80 by hand yesterday and got some "holographic" or "buffer burn" looking marring. I used a foam pad and probably didn`t rub it out long enough for the abrasives to break down. If you`re using #80 by hand, here`s the proper application technique as posted by Scottwax:

Dave-swirl removers work best by hand using a folded terry cloth towel. Like ebpcivicsi said, it gives the product more bite. In addition, you can apply more even pressure which prevents micro-marring and you can generate a decent amount of heat to help break the abrasives down. Work a section at a time and then refold the towel. You will get noticably better results that way over foam pads by hand.

brannong
02-24-2004, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by Vincent Vega

Very Nice! I agree with the claying comment.

What did you do to Kevin`s head?:D

I know its cut off. Thats where there is a line in the hood. I guess the light wasn`t right once the angle changed.

brannong
02-24-2004, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by Mike Phillips

I know I`m biased, but that first reflection shot in your message sure looks crisp and clear...

What kind of camera did you use? (I`m in the market for a new camera and looking at the Cannon EOS Dgital Rebel)

Mike

Actually its an old Nikon Coolpix 2mb. I have had it for several years. It was one of the first to come out. I think it was about $600 back then. There are much better cameras out there now. Whatever you do don`t buy anything from Wolf Camera. There service sucks. Took it on the honeymoon and some sand got in the lense apparently. It was still under warranty and took me six months to get it repaired. Not sure it was Wolf`s fault but they should have at least loaned me one why that one was being repaired.

brannong
02-24-2004, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by Dave N

Wow, stunning clarity on that reflection shot!!!

You mentioned using #80 -- I used #80 by hand yesterday and got some "holographic" or "buffer burn" looking marring. I used a foam pad and probably didn`t rub it out long enough for the abrasives to break down. If you`re using #80 by hand, here`s the proper application technique as posted by Scottwax:

Thanks for the info. We clayed and tried meguiars paint cleaner. Then tried Scratch X and #9 but no luck. I figured I would try the #80 on the top of the Explorer since it isn`t quite as noticeable if I don`t get the results I am looking for. I know that a pc would help greatly, but I just haven`t had the nerve to put it on a new paint job especially black. I have an 04 F150 Dark Shadow grey on order so I know that I need to get used to the pc. Guess I should go to the junk yard and pick up a hood to practice on.

Thank for all your comments. It truly makes the process more enjoyable when people enjoy your work. Kevin made a comment when we were finished with the Acura that it looked like one of those cars you see and wonder what they used to get that look.

GoodnClean
02-24-2004, 02:50 AM
The corporate detailer! A man after my own heart LOL

Looks great!

Dave N
02-24-2004, 08:52 AM
:) Don`t be afraid of the PC, especially with Meguiar`s #9. The first time I used my PC I was afraid to turn it up, so I was using 3M SMR at a speed of about 3. It didn`t do much to get rid of the swirls, so next time I cranked it up to 5 and then the PC magic began! If you look at the bottles, you`ll notice that #80 is one step up on the Meguiar`s scale from #9 (5 vs. 4). I think it`s the general consensus on this board that you can`t do any damage to your paint using #9 and a foam pad (especially a CMA white or grey pad).

Good luck with the PC. Once you start using it you`ll never want to detail without it!