PDA

View Full Version : How to do a PROPPER detail on my R34

gez
02-23-2004, 05:18 PM
Hi Guys,

Ive had my skyline R34 for a while now and as the weather is getting better its time to do a propper detailing job on it...

Pics of the car can be found here

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=5822&papass=&sort=1

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=5823&papass=&sort=1&size=

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=5824&papass=&sort=1

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=5825&papass=&sort=1&size=

These were taken just before the car left japan for its long 2 month journey by boat to the UK..

The colour is amazing but it has suffered. Firstly it has bad acid rain damage which can only be seen at certain angles.

The swirls are not too bad, i would say, light to moderate.

I really want this baby to shine and i have the following equipment to do it with,

PC

CMA Wool pad, Yellow cutting pads, polishing pads and grey pads

Pinnacle poly clay

Menzerna Intensive Polish

Menzerna final polish

Megs No. 7

BF all finish paint protection

Pinnacle Liquid Souveran

and a load of MF cloths

What would be the best plan to make her shine like she did when she first came out of the showroom??

Kind regards

Gerry

brokentelephone
02-23-2004, 05:19 PM
NICE CAR! Too bad we don`t get those in Canada, i would definitely be driving one. Best color too!

gez
02-23-2004, 05:26 PM
You can get those in Canada if you want. A freind actually drives one over there..

Gerry

Inzane
02-23-2004, 05:45 PM
You can`t have one that`s newer than FIFTEEN years old otherwise its illegal to be driving on the streets in Canada. There are people that have been importing `89 Skylines (R32s maybe?), but anything newer is illegal to import from what I`ve heard.

Originally posted by gez

You can get those in Canada if you want. A freind actually drives one over there..

Gerry

SK2003TypeS
02-23-2004, 06:19 PM
Sweet ride !! Wish I could afford it.

Do you think Wool or Yellow pads would be needed ? Looks like the paint is in good condition from what I could see. I had some mild water spots on my car and was able to get them out with a white polishing pad and some Pinnacle PCL.

MFs: I use mainly Pakshaks.

Can`t comment on these because I haven`t tried them yet:

Menzerna Intensive Polish

Menzerna final polish

Megs No. 7

BF all finish paint protection

Pinnacle Liquid Souveran

gez
02-24-2004, 03:44 AM
The paint looks good in the pics but take a close-up look and its not the same story.. Unfortunatley they have plenty of acid rain so that hasnt helped the paint work at all. In certain places the paint is fine as the rain wouldnt have affected it that much but places like the bonnet, roof and boot are not 100%. I have tried vinegar on the watermarks and they dont budge so im gonna spend a whole weekend on her soon.

Cheers

Gerry

stevet
02-24-2004, 05:39 AM
Inzane,

Do you know why it is illegal to own a Skyline that is newer than fifteen years old in Canada? This is the first I have heard of this.

gez
02-24-2004, 08:53 AM
Thats the first ive heard of it aswell.. The guy who has the R34 imported it into Canada, registered it and then drove into the US. That way he didnt have to do the DOT tests etc.

Cheers

Gerry

Inzane
02-25-2004, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by stevet

Inzane,

Do you know why it is illegal to own a Skyline that is newer than fifteen years old in Canada? This is the first I have heard of this.

I don`t know the specifics myself, only that its a Canada Customs law that any car not originally sold in the Canadian market must be at least 15 years old before it can be legally registered.

In the US, Skyline R34s are legal to register because X number of them have been subjected to the mandatory crash-tests, etc. suitable for US law. Not so in Canada.

This person that supposedly registered in R34 must`ve done so illegally, or customs screwed up some how.

This issue has come up a number of times in the local import scene here in Edmonton because a number of companies have been popping out of the woodwork lately who specialize in importing jspec engines, front clips, and entire cars into Canada.

I`m 99.99% positive you can`t legally import and register an R34 in Canada yet (any bizarre and unusual circumstances notwithstanding...).

endus
02-26-2004, 02:08 PM
I am vomiiting with envy...

Nice car.

SK2003TypeS
02-28-2004, 04:04 PM
I am vomiiting with envy...

Use your 2nd bucket and then wash immediatly :p

gez
02-28-2004, 10:11 PM
lol endus Skylines in general are not uncommon in the UK. I wonder why they dont bring in that many in the US..

Gerry

Ben Carufel
02-29-2004, 12:35 AM
I passed an R32 on the freeway last weekend. First one I`ve seen in person. I was in the Coupe.

Fortunately I was on my way to a San Diego BMW Club Autocross so I got my fill of BMW`s again before I had time to post the Coupe for sale and order a MotoRex Skyline.

Saved by the BMWs. ;)

gez
02-29-2004, 06:04 AM
One thing which astounds me is the prices of Skylines in the US! The cost almost double of what they cost in the UK. A nice R33 with a few mods would cost you the equivalent of $27,000. A propper monster R33 costs around $34,000.

Gerry

! apmljv
03-01-2004, 03:22 PM
that`s a sweet R34...

I really wish I was driving one~