PDA

View Full Version : How to protect my rims..

! apmljv
02-22-2004, 07:27 PM
I recently acquired a new set of rims. They are Rays Engineering GramLights 57F Bronze. I`ve read several threads that people put protectant (? I`m not sure if that`s the term to use) to keep the rims clean. I also read that different types of finish on the rims use different product. So, what is it that everyone use (I`ve read that people use AIO)? and what should I use on my bronze rims? What`s the step of applying them on the rims?

Note* I have decals on the rims. Not sure if this will affect any product that goes on the rims.

Thanks

Bill D
02-22-2004, 07:38 PM
Klasse SG (sealant) should be helpful in protecting them. I only wash my wheels with water and car wash, IMO keeping on top of them regularly will eliminate the need to use anything stronger

! apmljv
02-22-2004, 09:55 PM
Thanks.

So, I just apply SG with MF foam pad like I would do it on the car, then wipe them after I apply them?

stilez
02-22-2004, 11:10 PM
Use SG just like you would on paint...Prep the wheels with a wash, clay, polish job. Then use Klasse AIO, then SG.

Personally, I like to layer the SG on the rims. I take them off to do the initial detail so I can get the insides down. This has cut down a lot on brake dust and makes cleaning them now a breeze.

http://mywebspace.quinnipiac.edu/stbusch/DSC00683.JPG

SG x 3

! apmljv
02-23-2004, 04:00 AM
Oh wow...even clay and polish.. Does that affect the surface of the rims at all? I mean the compound for the polish?

bunmango
02-23-2004, 04:17 AM
Since your rims are painted (and probably have a clear coat) using clay and polish on the rims would be no different than using them on the rest of the car. Gramlights are nice... I have a buddy who just sold his set.

I just picked up a set of Rota Circuit 8`s and have used AIO and SG on them... unfortunately I think I have to go exchange them due to a manufacturing defect. BTW, Santa Cruz, eh? Do I smell a fellow bananaslug? ;)

! apmljv
02-23-2004, 04:02 PM
Oh? I would assume you go to school at UCSC? :)

I`m currently living off campus, 2nd year majoring in ISM, on probation (LOL), want to detail my car yet no place to detail.

you?

micnic
02-23-2004, 05:47 PM
I use Z-2, I find it makes them easier to remove break dust.