PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Use Salt-X

2003TRD
09-18-2004, 01:04 AM
Hey everyone, new guy here. Just wondering what you guys think of the salt-x or similar salt removal products for you personal vehicle? I have a 2003 Tacoma, that is used here in the Ohio snow belt, that i want to last forever and was wondering if anyone had experience with these products reducing the risk of corrosion? Are they really safe for use on painted surfaces also?

One more question, what do you guys feel is the best trim/vinyl protectant? last a long time and does not contain any petroleum distalletes?

obbop
09-22-2004, 08:54 AM
303 Aerospace Protectant works well for me on vinyl, plastic trim, etc. Prices vary with the gallon jug the best deal. A Web search can save you $20 on a gallon so shop around. Smaller spray bottles cost less if you want to try it out first. Our local Ace hardware stocks it and many boat supply stores have it if you want to avoid buying on-line.

I`ve been considering a salt nullifying product as well. Couldn`t find much research into the products but sites selling the various brands obviously show happy customer`s comments.

Received this e-mail in response to an inquiry to:

www.saltawayproducts.com

"Thank you for your message and for your questions about Salt-Away. Yes, Salt-Away is very suitable and recommended to remove salt from the entire surface of your vechicles. The only caution is to be careful of areas that are not water-safe, such as electrical components.

We have a few Undercarriage Salt-Blasters left in stock that would be ideal to apply Salt-Away to the bottom-side of your pick-up truck (and to the top and sides). Salt-Away will remove the salt and it also contains high-performing corrosion inhibitors that will keep trapped salt from rusting from the inside-out.

The Undercarriage Salt-Blaster is a device that connects to the front of our Mixing Unit and is designed with a 24" wand and a jet assembly on the end. The jet assembly is designed to narrow the stream of water to a high velocity (hence, "jet"), and will reach under the truck. Also fitted onto the end is a removable water deflector that can be positioned in any direction, preferably up, while you are spraying. The jet assembly is also meant to be taken apart with a wing nut and repositioned at various angles.

How did you learn about Salt-Away?"

I betcha` an el cheapo sprayer from the garden supply place, the type that attaches to your hose and has a variable selectable mixture concentration dial would work just as well.

I forget the prices but they were high enough that I have held back and contemplated if thorough fresh water rinses would get me by.

I have a "wand" that curves at the end to assist in rinsing those nooks and crannys under the truck. And, I attached a lawn sprinkler to a block of wood so I can slowly pull it the length of the truck as I let it spray away. I leave it in one spot for several minutes so the water will hopefully reach as many nooks and crannies as possible.

Luckily, when it is too cold to play with the water the corrosion process is supposed to be either zero or very very slow. Heated garages are bad since it melts ice/snow and allows the corrosion process to commence.

Damn rust!!!!

Hopefully, regular thorough rinsing will help delay the rust.

Bob
09-22-2004, 09:48 AM
I just sent my friend the link for the salt away products. He owns a car was by me and I told him to look into getting it for the winter! LOL I use it all winter so it would be a nice feature. :D