PDA

View Full Version : Which vinyl protectant is most durable for exterior applications?

Pages : [1] 2

imported_NHBFAN
02-21-2004, 08:51 AM
I have considerable exterior black trim on my truck. I`ve used many protectants like Armorall which looks great for one day then it streaks. It seems the most durable vinyl protectant for exterior applications is #40.

Any other recommendations for vinyl protectants for exterior applications?

imported_Aurora40
02-21-2004, 01:36 PM
I`ve been impressed with exterior-only products like Meguiar`s Trim Detailer. I`ve got some #38 that I have high hopes for as it should be similar to Trim Detailer in lasting and such, but has UV protectants and antiozonants. :nixweiss

stilez
02-21-2004, 02:10 PM
For a matte finish, I`d go with 303 Aerospace (available at West Marine Retail Stores or online at many places)

For a more shiny finish, I`d go with Vinylex (available at Pep Boy`s Retail Stores and plenty of places online)

Those two top it off for both interior and exterior rubber, plastic, and vinyl surfaces for me. :D

Mantic6t9
02-21-2004, 04:54 PM
I don`t like to use 303 on the exterior, it seems to streak pretty bad. I`ve had better luck with 1Z Tiefenpfleger.

imported_NHBFAN
02-21-2004, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Mantic6t9

I don`t like to use 303 on the exterior, it seems to streak pretty bad. I`ve had better luck with 1Z Tiefenpfleger.

I agree.

I love 303 in the interior :xyxthumbs (especially my dash) but on exterior vinyl it streaked pretty badly and didn`t hold up long at all:down

imported_Dave Holmes
02-22-2004, 12:44 AM
I`ve found the secret to using 303 on the exterior (I use it on my tires and grill) is after allowing it time to soak, buff thoroughly to remove any excess. This has eliminated streaking for me, and it actually keeps things black for a good while. This buffing somehow helps the durability according to a pamphlet from 303 (something about "setting" or bonding to the surface). I really like the matte, black finish it gives versus the shiny look of other products.

Dave

Mantic6t9
02-22-2004, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by Dave Holmes

I`ve found the secret to using 303 on the exterior (I use it on my tires and grill) is after allowing it time to soak, buff thoroughly to remove any excess. This has eliminated streaking for me, and it actually keeps things black for a good while. This buffing somehow helps the durability according to a pamphlet from 303 (something about "setting" or bonding to the surface). I really like the matte, black finish it gives versus the shiny look of other products.

Dave

That`s the way i used it. Still had better luck with the 1Z Tiefenpfleger.

LouisanaJeeper
02-22-2004, 12:56 AM
I just started using 3M marine vinyl protectant/cleaner. It is a white gel consistency of like a liquid wax. It leaves a matte, non greasy finish. It is a bit of a PITA to apply. It looks promising for durability.

Classy Detail
02-22-2004, 12:57 AM
I like this product.

Check this out from Top Of The Line (http://www.topoftheline.com/molbumren.html)

shaf
02-22-2004, 03:56 AM
I really don`t recommend their use, but solvent-based rubber/vinyl dressings are reputedly more durable than their water-based counterparts...

imported_NHBFAN
02-22-2004, 08:14 AM
Classy Detail,

That product looks pretty interesting.

4DSC,

Could you give some examples of solvent based dressings?

MetalSludge
02-22-2004, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by Mantic6t9

I have been doing some reading on this stuff and it sounds great.

Where can one find 1Z Tiefenpfleger at online?

JimS
02-22-2004, 08:50 AM
I use Poorboys Natural Look and/or Bold n Bright.

Malibu
02-24-2004, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by MetalSludge

I have been doing some reading on this stuff and it sounds great.

Where can one find 1Z Tiefenpfleger at online?

I get my 1Z stuff from the Autopia Store: www.autopia-carcare.com

Mike

Scottwax
02-24-2004, 09:40 PM
Meguiars #38 is pretty durable and after it dries, it has a satiny finish.