PDA

View Full Version : Is it OK to put Car Cover on in Rain?

Bioman
02-20-2004, 05:01 PM
I am in San Diego and the forecast says that it will rain later tonight. I have an appointment to attend to later tonight so I know that I will be caught in the rain, just dont know how much.

I was wondering, since I street park, when I get back can I just put my car cover on over my wet car? This is because my parking space is directly underneath some tree`s. These tree`s are always dropping crap on the streets and on cars. Whether it`s tree sap, dead leaves, pollen, etc. I dont want to come to a wet car covered with tree "droppings" in the morning.

Btw, I have a NOAH Covercraft Cover.

Thanks.

Bill D
02-20-2004, 05:10 PM
My gf and I have covered wet cars without any consequences. Definitely try to remove any heavy dirt the wet attracted first though.

Bioman
02-20-2004, 05:20 PM
I would be afraid to remove any dirt because I dont want to scratch my car. I am assuming you mean remove dirt by taking a squeegee or towel?

Frank F.
02-20-2004, 07:07 PM
If you are afraid to scratch you car by removing the dirt, you should be even more afraid of scratching your car by covering it with the car cover over the dirt. I would leave it out and clean it all up in the morning.

imported_mirrorfinishman
02-20-2004, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Bioman

can I just put my car cover on over my wet car?

Bioman,

It does not sound like a good idea.

You really have to think twice about putting a car cover on your car when it is either dirty or wet.

GearHead_1
02-20-2004, 07:33 PM
What Frank said.

Carl Anderson
02-20-2004, 07:38 PM
I rarely use my car cover unless I know it is going to be dry. Otherwise I end up removing a wet car cover, and then what? This happened to me last week and it took 4 days inside to dry out this cover for my M3. And even though my car was meticulously clean when I put the cover on, it wasn`t when I took it off. Hair etc. It is impossible to keep the covers completely clean. I think the only time I will use the cover in the future is when I will be gone for some extended period of time.

Bill D
02-21-2004, 10:04 AM
My drying time is reduced because I use two covers a Weathershield on top of a Noah, both are breathable so no issues with trapped mositure.

If your still interested in covering a wet car perhaps run the hose over it before covering it ( Now your neighbors will really think your nuts washing the car in the rain :D) The running water could remove any dirt on the car.

We`ve covered cars in the rain with no problems with scratches.