PDA

View Full Version : 3m swirl remover and Zaino

Stu
02-20-2004, 10:40 AM
Hello Folks, First off I must say that I have learned a lot from this forum! Thanks to all!

Maybe this has been covered before. I couldn`t find it.

I have a few swirls on my old 69 Pontiac that need to be removed. The car has had many layers of Zaino applied and I just LOVE the stuff.

My question is, when I use 3M swirl remover to correct the problem, do I need to start with a Dawn wash, etc prior to my Zaino applications? A fresh Zaino start if you will.

Thanks,

Stu

Accumulator
02-20-2004, 11:43 AM
Stu- Nah, you don`t need to use Dawn. *I* wouldn`t use the SMR for your application. It leaves fillers, which you`d have to remove prior to using Z. *I* would try 3M PI-III MG (pn 05937). No fillers, mild but effective, not too strong (*IMO*) for use on your classic Pontiac. And it will cut right through whatever`s currently on the paint.

imported_Intermezzo
02-20-2004, 11:55 AM
Accumulator, I think you might be misunderstanding the question..... I *think* he`s asking if a Dawn wash is necessary after removing the swirls...not before. You actually sorta answered his question when you said:

"*I* wouldn`t use the SMR for your application. It leaves fillers, which you`d have to remove prior to using Z."

Or maybe I`m the one that`s committing the brain-hiccup?

I agree with your takes on PI-III MG. It`s a great product that leaves a squeaky clean surface.

Stu, if you decide on sticking with SMR, then a wash with Z-7 should be fine. In fact, I have found that even without a wash, just using Z-1 was enough to prevent the oils from SMR to cause a problem when layering your new coats of Z.

SuperBuick
02-20-2004, 12:07 PM
Stu - one thing to keep in mind is that most swirls are induced through washing. If you decide to use the SMR, which leaves fillers and oils - you will need to wash before you Zaino. Keep in mind that not only are you washing off the fillers (that are making it look good), but you are also risking putting a few more swirls back into the paint that you`ve just worked so hard on.

That said, I`d avoid the SMR and try the PI-III MG, or my personal favorite, the Menzerna twins (Intensive Polish and Final Polish), using either of these (PI-III or Menzerna) will leave you with a squeaky clean surface that is ready for Zaino without the (hideous) dawn wash.

-Tom

Accumulator
02-20-2004, 12:20 PM
:doh [smacks self upside head], [insert expletive here]

Intermezzo-Thanks for calling me on that.

Yeah, I misread. Sorry all, got sloppy (trying to deal with roofer/dogs, phone calls, and post all at the same time).

YES, you`d have to wash off the fillers if you used the SMR and Dawn would do it. BTW, Dawn is the last thing *I* would want touching my ss paint.

Stu
02-20-2004, 02:02 PM
Thanks for all the great feedback guys! I ordered some 3M PI-III MG today. I am assuming this can be applied via PC?

Thanks again!

Stu

Accumulator
02-20-2004, 02:18 PM
Stu- Yep, by hand, PC, or rotary. The only thing to watch for is the "MG residue"- if it`s hard to get off, a) use less MG, b) use a QD to help remove it. Sometimes people get it, but not always.

Jon P. Nusbaum
02-20-2004, 02:51 PM
Hey guys, I recall someone in our group mentioned that 3M swirl remover leaves oil on the metal surface like a glaze, and that Zaino will not bond correctly. I think water based polishes like Groit`s and Menzerna work better. Correct me if I`am wrong.

Accumulator
02-20-2004, 04:13 PM
Jon P. Nusbaum- Yeah, that`s why you need to wash with Dawn or an alcohol/water mix after using certain polishes/SMRs. But all 3M stuff isn`t the same, the MG is VERY different from the SMRs.