PDA

View Full Version : Definitive list of pure waxes and synthetic paint protectant?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Mike_Phillips
02-20-2004, 01:21 AM
Hi all,

I would like to build a list of all waxes/polishes/paint protectants that are believed to be layerable.

Let me start the list,

* Klasse SG

* Zaino Z2, Z3 and Z5

* 4 Star Ultimate Paint Protection

Which other products should be added.

Thanks for your contribution.

Mike

Scottwax
02-20-2004, 01:27 AM
I am pretty sure that Steve at Poorboys says his EX Sealant w/Carnauba is layerable. He has a pure sealant version also which I would guess would also be layerable.

rstype
02-20-2004, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by Scottwax

I am pretty sure that Steve at Poorboys says his EX Sealant w/Carnauba is layerable.

That I disagree on. My $0.00002...

rstype
02-20-2004, 02:09 AM
UPP/BF/DPPS - I`m not sure. They`re very, very gentle, solvent-wise, but I`m under the notion that whatever oils in there may interrupt crosslinking and undergoing change, so it does not layer.

I could be wrong.

Any `third party` chemists want to comment?

JustinR32
02-20-2004, 08:56 AM
Since you listed waxes, I`ll add some of the carnaubas:

Mother`s Cal Gold Natural

S100

Souveran Paste & liquid

P21S

#26 (paste)

Meg`s step 3

Tom

SuperBuick
02-20-2004, 09:14 AM
Zymol Destiny, Zymol Concours, Pinnacle Souveran/Paste Glaz/Signature Series

Blackfire AFPP

-Tom

EBPcivicsi
02-20-2004, 09:16 AM
Trade secret

paco
02-20-2004, 09:18 AM
Mosca,

I don`t believe #26 or #16 is technically layerable. A second coat etc will basically fill in any spots that were missed previously or poorly covered but it`s ability to actually have 2-3 layers is very unlikely.

My 2 cents:

You can layer a wax on top of a sealant definitely but layering carnuba waxes and adding additional durability and protection is very suspect IMO.

Paul

Gonzo
02-20-2004, 09:32 AM
SONUS QD is layerable with UPP and SG

bigguy
02-20-2004, 09:42 AM
Scottwax on Detail City Dewayne stated that EX containing carnuaba will not allow sealant like Zanio, UPP or Klasse SG to layer on top of them.

SuperBuick
02-20-2004, 10:13 AM
Paco - the point of layering a pure carnauba like Zymol or Pinnacle is to increase the depth of shine, not to increase the thickness of the coat or to increase protection. Its done to marginally affect/improve the aesthetic qualities.

-Tom

JustinR32
02-20-2004, 10:22 AM
I took the question to mean, "doesn`t erase the previous product". IOW, you can put S100 over SG, but you can`t put Gold Class over SG. So, S100 is "layerable".

But y`know what, unless one of us decides to do a chemical analysis of what`s covering that paint in all these "layering" instances that we`ve thought up, it`s all conjecture, it`s all what we think.

Tom

Accumulator
02-20-2004, 11:26 AM
Heh heh, hope this doesn`t turn into a "is NOT layerable"/ "is TOO!" sort of thread :D

I honestly can`t tell if "straight waxes" layer. *I* think they look better if you apply numerous lay...uhm, "applications", but it`s not like SG where you can FEEL the stuff between your finger and the paint after so many coats.

Anyhow, to what others have listed, I`ll add Malm`s.

*I* have found that Malm`s liquid carnauba wax "layers". In fact, it`ll build up until silver paint looks "tarnished" if you apply it too often. Had to clean it off the Jag; I was taking off yellowish wax residue (using PPCL). No question in MY mind it was "wax build up". Seemed perfectly obvious, the car NEVER got dirty (so I wasn`t cleaning off dirt) and what I was taking off looked like wax.

togwt
02-20-2004, 11:35 AM
~One mans opinion / observation~

Conjecture: you can`t increase the maximum thickness (‘layering’) of the wax film, but you can increase it’s density, there is however a limit to this density.

To the list: for a ‘name’ Griot’s paste or liquid (but they are both Carnaubas and already covered)

I agree with both Mosca and SuperBuick’s comments

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect * so i question everything*

Mike_Phillips
02-20-2004, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by BW

UPP/BF/DPPS - I`m not sure. They`re very, very gentle, solvent-wise, but I`m under the notion that whatever oils in there may interrupt crosslinking and undergoing change, so it does not layer.

I could be wrong.

Any `third party` chemists want to comment?

I have the BlackFire, I bought it last spring, would this be BlackFire II?

Excuse my, but what is DPPS?

Thanks,

Mike