PDA

View Full Version : Are BF2 and UPP sealants abrasive??

Pages : [1] 2

BillNorth
02-18-2004, 03:47 PM
I was searching thru the arcs hoping to find an answer to this question. I did end up finding an old thread posted by geekysteve that shows that BF and UPP sealants are abrasive. The thing I am wondering is if the same applies to BF2 and does it still apply to platinum? Have the platinum people changed their forumla at all?

I`d like to layer either product over my SG for warmth and depth without stripping the SG. I was considering NXT for this job, but... well, you know. ;) I`d also like to be able to layer SG back over top without having bonding issues.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bill :up

Patrick
02-18-2004, 03:58 PM
As far as I know, BF II sealant cd testing, didnt reveal any abrasives.....Not sure on PUPP.....

As far as personal experience with both products, my conclusion is they dont carry any abrasive content.....

2wheelsx2
02-18-2004, 04:02 PM
I have used UPP a lot, and have not seen it clean anything. Can you post a link to Geeky`s test? I would like to see he procedure so I can try it.

I almost wish UPP had some cleaners like #20. It would make the streaking less of a problem for beginners. After a couple of times, once I learned to do it very thin and let it sit for 30+ minutes, no more problems. But first couple of times I used UPP on a dark car, I had streaking problems.

rstype
02-18-2004, 10:23 PM
I find the later versions of UPP and BF to be extremely mild in solvents.

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17988

BillNorth
02-19-2004, 10:30 AM
Thanks for the info guys. Gary, I`ll find the link to steve`s thread and post it later. BW, thanks for the link to your thread. BF2 should be ok over sg.

Bill. :up

maxshine
02-19-2004, 11:29 AM
Bill,

That (cleaning) may have been true with the earlier versions of each product - especially UPP. I have used the latter versions of both and they seem quite similiar in appearance to me. In more humid conditions I found BF2 streaked but did not experience that with UPP. I now only use UPP because of its easier removal and the lower cost.

spetulla
02-19-2004, 03:35 PM
bill, not offering a suggestion here, merely wondering, why not use a carnauba?

Corey Bit Spank
02-19-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by spetulla

bill, not offering a suggestion here, merely wondering, why not use a carnauba?

Because Blackfire II is prettier. :p

BillNorth
02-19-2004, 03:51 PM
spetulla,

Actually, I do use a carnuba right now. I`m currently topping with blitz, and I do love the look I get. There is just one problem, I can`t layer more SG over top. I`d have to strip and start over.

My goal is to move away from doing two major details a year like I`m doing now (spring and fall). I`d like to do one big yearly detail in the spring and have the protection last through the winter to the following spring. Unfortunately this is not possible now because of the blitz.

What I really want is to layer SG and another `warmer` sealant over top of one another for a year. This way I get the look I want, the ability to layer SG, the ongoing `fresh` protection of SG and the ongoing `fresh` look of warmth and depth from the other sealant.

If I stick with blitz and my yearly plan all I can do is add more layers of blitz. I want more protection than just carnuba during the winter months. By the time winter rolls around my SG will need renewing, hence the need to strip and start over, if using blitz.

Anyway, I`ve rambled a bit. I hope I haven`t lost you.

Bill. :D

spetulla
02-19-2004, 03:59 PM
understandable. use some zaino :p

BillNorth
02-19-2004, 04:06 PM
spetulla,

:D :D . I`ll have the same problem if I go to Z. No warmth and depth.

Bill.

Corey Bit Spank
02-19-2004, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by BillNorth

spetulla,

:D :D . I`ll have the same problem if I go to Z. No warmth and depth.

Bill.

I tried applying blackfire to my can opener and it still didn`t keep me warm in bed.

My hand mixer and I, however, have deep discussions about Plato.:o

bigguy
02-19-2004, 04:27 PM
Bill, I just applied UPP over AIO, SG and it is beautiful. It seems to layer with no problems. I am like you, I will in the future try to apply SG again over the UPP to see what happens.

BillNorth
02-19-2004, 04:53 PM
bigguy,

Excellent info. Thanks! Please do keep me updated when you layer the SG back over top of the UPP.

Bill :up

BillNorth
02-19-2004, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Corey Bit Spank

I tried applying blackfire to my can opener and it still didn`t keep me warm in bed.

My hand mixer and I, however, have deep discussions about Plato.:o

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I`m lost.

Bill.