PDA

View Full Version : HELP...need to `hotwire` my Jeep

Don
09-17-2004, 01:59 PM
The ignition switch on the wife`s Jeep gave it up today (no power sent to the starter), of course away from home, and OF COURSE on a day where the rain is never ending and COLD.

I know on the older cars there was a way to use a screwdriver on a pair of contacts in the engine compartment that would make the starter turn over, and start the car if the key is "on" and that if I knew the schematic for the loom that connects to the switch, I could "jump" the wires to make the starter work.

The problem, I can`t find the contacts under the hood, and I don`t know which wire leads to the starter solenoid from the ignition switch.

Can anyone help??????????????? The Jeep is sitting in the mall parking lot as I type this

wifehatescar
09-17-2004, 02:06 PM
You need to jump the two posts on the starter solinoid, it`s either mounted on the starter or mounted externally on the firewall or side panels. Follow the thick +(red) battery cable to the solinoid.

Another way is to run a thin wire from the battery to the THIN WIRE that runs to the solinoid.

Basically, there is a THIN signal wire that goes to the solinoid that tells it to turn on. When it does, the 1 or 2 thick wires send power to the starter. So either give the solinoid signal manually (with a thin wire from the + batt to the thin wire on the solinoid, or jump the thick wires on the solinoid.

Do this at your own risk, I have never attempted it before. be careful.

you can call me if you need to, my cell # is on my website (look at my signature)

andriver
09-17-2004, 03:03 PM
You can also tap on the starter with a hammer. Just don`t whack it. Sometimes this helps.

Don
09-17-2004, 03:14 PM
Thanks to both of you, I`m thinking that once I get it back home I`m going to go with a permanent `push button` starter. I`ll keep the ignition switch, but instead of getting a new one and having two different keys, I`ll just wire up a "turn key, hit button" system. Now all I need is to find which wire in the ignition switch assembly goes to the starter solenoid to do it right....maybe I`ll end up running a new wire to the solenoid for the puch button.

Don
09-17-2004, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by andriver
You can also tap on the starter with a hammer. Just don`t whack it. Sometimes this helps.

Wouldn`t you know it, I tapped on the starter w/a screwdriver handle and the durn thing started...now I have to wonder if the starter is about to http://www.gratissmilies.de/gifs/explosion/a_expl04.gif

andriver
09-18-2004, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by Don
Wouldn`t you know it, I tapped on the starter w/a screwdriver handle and the durn thing started...now I have to wonder if the starter is about to http://www.gratissmilies.de/gifs/explosion/a_expl04.gif

Same thing happened to my son`s Jeep. Replaced the starter and no problems after that.

clean4u
09-18-2004, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by andriver
Same thing happened to my son`s Jeep. Replaced the starter and no problems after that. Works for me

jaybs02
09-18-2004, 09:12 PM
Don, the starter may have just stopped in a bad spot...
But plan on replacing it just in case, I got tired of banging on the one on my Ranger.

You never know where it`s gonna stop next time

Don
09-18-2004, 11:38 PM
It was the starter...it was working from the time I tapped on it, but I took it off anyway and when I got it to Auto Zone, it was DOA :ghost

It was only $65 for the new lifetime starter, so that wasn`t so bad...those in-line engines are nice to work on...plenty of room