PDA

View Full Version : NXT = Cleaner

Pages : [1] 2

ZaneO
02-17-2004, 04:47 PM
First off, I wasn`t aware that `99 4Runner`s (black) came with single stage paint :confused: but it appears that way because my gf washed her car and I clayed the hood and applied NXT.

I looked down at the applicator and there was black all over it. I let the NXT sit for about 20 min. and used a white Fieldcrest to remove it. There was the black again.

Two strange occurances for me at one time.

NOTE: I didn`t notice any color rub off on my red car while using NXT.

bjwebster
02-17-2004, 04:52 PM
Is your red car clear coated or not?

I know that some black lexus`s have single stage paint, I guess that carries over into the Toyota line as well.

ZaneO
02-17-2004, 04:53 PM
Yes, the red is cleared.

I have also used Zaino on the 4Runner before, and never had any black come off onto anything. That is why I was very surprised when I started.

8ball
02-17-2004, 04:59 PM
Have you read this thread?

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=309788#post309788

imported_Intermezzo
02-17-2004, 05:03 PM
ZaneO, thanks for the info! :up

Here is another thread done by GeekySteve over at the Flea...

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/detailing/4649930-1.html

On a related note, in my own very informal testing, I got similar cleaning action when using a whole bunch of other products & glazes that "claim" to have no cleaners.

ZaneO
02-17-2004, 05:03 PM
Yes I have read the article, but some argue that the marker doesn`t represent the paint very well, and I was more surprised to learn that this paint is single stage.

imported_jgv
02-17-2004, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Intermezzo

On a related note, in my own very informal testing, I got similar cleaning action when using a whole bunch of other products & glazes that "claim" to have no cleaners.

....Including P21S CW... and (almost) any liquid wax ;)

imported_Intermezzo
02-17-2004, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by jgv

....Including P21S CW... and (almost) any liquid wax ;)

P21S CW?

Well, not all liquid waxes. :)

Mike_Phillips
02-17-2004, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Intermezzo

ZaneO, thanks for the info! :up

Here is another thread done by GeekySteve over at the Flea...

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/detailing/4649930-1.html

You know, I have to say, that reads like a pretty fair test. I have to hand it to Steve, it is well conducted, and well written. I`m sure his results were exactly as stated.

Looks like it`s time to revive my big black paint panel... (4` by 8` with single stage lacquer and basecoat clear coat over black.

Mike

JustinR32
02-17-2004, 09:01 PM
I got the same thing with NXT. I still love it, but it`s important to know its action.

I was concerned that every product I was using was taking off paint, signalling imminent paint failure, but a couple nights ago I did the car with Meg`s #16 and there was absolutely no paint on either the applicator or the removal cloths.

Tom

Scottwax
02-17-2004, 09:33 PM
Tom...

I haven`t gotten paint transfers from any paste wax, although they all will remove light tar to some degree. Liquid waxes never seem to have a problem removing tar.

When I detail single stage paint jobs, I top with a paste wax instead of a liquid.

imported_Terry
02-17-2004, 10:07 PM
I have a Mini Cooper on deck tommorow.....It`s a new client that likes my work and has requested NXT. This will be my third NXT vehicle detailed in the last month.....The plan is AIO by hand followed with NXT by hand .......I am anxious to see how these three cars look & feel in about a month.....The two regulars were Zaino lovers who wanted to test NXT and The Mini owner is/was a Mothers Carnauba user...........Man, NXT is sure getting some noteriety. I gotta say.....I love this product competition stuff....... :xyxthumbs

JustinR32
02-17-2004, 10:13 PM
Paste waxes I have gotten transfers from are almost always known cleaner/waxes. Specifically, Gold Class, Meg`s CW, Mother`s CW, the new TW Platinum, etc.

No transfer from Souv Paste, S100, #16, #26 paste, Mother`s Cal Gold Natural.

Liquid waxes that I have not gotten transfers from, are limited to Souveran Liquid and Meg`s step 3.

Scott, you can save me the trouble of finding out, do you get paint transfer with #26 liquid?

Tom

Scottwax
02-17-2004, 10:45 PM
Tom, you will get paint transfer from #26 liquid.

How did you know I`d know? ;)

ZaneO
02-17-2004, 11:31 PM
So, am I missing out on the benefits of NXT because I haven`t used it with a SMR?

I have used it on red and black so far, and I haven`t gotten good results out of either.

Black 4Runner was washed and clayed. It does need a SMR pretty badly, but I have 2 pictures, one without and one with NXT, and I honestly can`t tell a difference. The feel is slightly slicker, but that`s it.