PDA

View Full Version : Gas etching in paint

Flyingfanatic
02-16-2004, 10:59 PM
I`ve got some gas that spilled and then sat on my motorcycle tank. It etched into at least the clear on the tank.

I have tried to wet sand it and now the tank is very dull. I then went over it by hand with a buffing compound which helped, but there is still some dullness left.

What do you guys suggest to fix it?

Jesstzn
02-16-2004, 11:06 PM
You will need to drop to something less abrasive to clear it up like SMR or a fine polish.

Flyingfanatic
02-16-2004, 11:13 PM
What is SMR and where do I find it?

Sorry, but I am not totally familiar with all the terms.

Thanks!!!

LouisanaJeeper
02-16-2004, 11:21 PM
swirl mark remover

Frank F.
02-17-2004, 09:40 PM
What grit sandpaper did you use? If it was 1000 or higher you can buff it out with Menzerna Intensive Polish followed by Menzerna Final Polish.

Flyingfanatic
02-17-2004, 10:33 PM
I used 2000 grit, but I hit several spots pretty hard because as I wiped off the dust, it didn`t appear to be making it through the etching.

Where can I find the stuff you listed?

BTW, I have buffed it out with a rather aggressive buffing compund by hand and the section sanded is still dull, but a bit better than before.

Jesstzn
02-17-2004, 10:37 PM
Menzerna can be bought here .. they have an introductory kit that is great. I use/like the Menzerna because it is water based and has no fillers or oils.

Proper Auto Car (http://www.properautocare.com/polish.html)

jerry@robs
02-17-2004, 10:55 PM
I`d stop for a moment and read more about restoring a sanded surface before buying all the polish/compounds mentioned. I think you need to learn how to use these products before proceeding, honestly, i dont think reaching for the 2000grit was a good idea since most fuel can be taken off using a cleaner wax, if that doesn`t work, move up to a polish and compound... I`m just afraid you`ll cause more damage to your surface.

shaf
02-18-2004, 02:43 AM
As good as they may be, I would hesitate to recommend a relatively expensive, enthusiast-oriented mail-order product to someone who just wants to fix a single problem....

The simplest and most expedient solution is to go to a local auto store and buy a scratch remover by Mothers or Meguiar`s.

As said, wetsanding it should have been your last resort, not one of the first. One common Autopian principle is to attempt a repair with the least aggressive method possible first, and then move up to stronger methods only once those fail.

For the meaning of SMR and more acronyms used here: http://www.autopia.org/display.php?file=acronyms.htm

Good luck!

Flyingfanatic
02-18-2004, 07:34 AM
Well, that`s the theory I thought of too with the less aggressive methods.

I did try Meguiar`s #6 cleaner wax before anything else and it did not touch it. I have also used Maguiar`s scratch remover (on my car before) and I didn`t notice a difference.

I think I`ll just empty the tank and take it to a good body shop and have them tell me what the fix is.

I know it is very hard to diagnose a problem without looking at it. Although I am open to any other suggestions.

Thanks for the help guys.

Flyingfanatic
02-18-2004, 07:39 AM
Hey theveed, do you have any suggestions on where to find info on restoring sanded surfaces?

jimmybuffit
02-18-2004, 07:48 AM
You might spend less money taking it to a `Autopian` type detail shop.

*Sounds like* I could fix it for about $40.

Jim

Flyingfanatic
02-18-2004, 12:39 PM
Where do I find an Autotopian detail shop?

Anyone in KC have any connections?