PDA

View Full Version : Light engine cleaner

Pages : [1] 2

Lone Wolf
02-16-2004, 07:09 PM
What do you guys suggest as a light cleaner for an engine..I dont want to fully detail the engine (yet)!! Just something I can spray on and rinse off to keep it clean..I as thinking of something like EFHI diluted...

Jesstzn
02-16-2004, 07:22 PM
From day one all I have used on my engine was car wash soap and an old sponge and paintbrush then wipe it down. If done before it gets crudded its all that is needed.

Mantic6t9
02-16-2004, 07:46 PM
I use diluted Simple Green.

Accumulator
02-17-2004, 10:22 AM
Loan Wolf- I`m guessing that your situation requires a little more heavy-duty cleaning than what Jesstzn is suggesting (although that`s what *I* do on cars I buy new also). You should be fine with the EFHI (don`t dilute it too much), or get some P21s TAW, which I sorta prefer for this. Get it fairly clean and then keep it that way with the regular-wash approach.

tom p.
02-17-2004, 02:51 PM
you could also try Dawn mixed up in warm water and applied with your basic garden pump sprayer...that`s a real easy solution and works well assuming you`re not dealing with any serious messes.

Bill D
02-17-2004, 04:32 PM
Once I have it clean, I go a bit overboard and wipe down the engine with a duster and paint brushes of the appropriate size/length once a week or after every trip of 50 miles or more :D I`ll also 303 all the plastic,hoses, stripping about once a month too.

Its not a big deal once I got the hang of it and after such trips I routinely quickly detail the whole car, including the engine, more or less in about a half hour. ( I will pack necessary detailing supplies with me for the trip)Car immediately gets covered too if I`m staying overnight :D

After sticking to this regimen ,including the car I had before this one, I`ve only had to use a cleaning solution very occasionally. I really believe the 303 does what it claims in repelling dust and grime.

Bottom line is to know how far you want to go :D

Kleanride
02-17-2004, 05:39 PM
ya know, just the other day someone told me to try using a carpet cleaner on the engine......I gotta say, I am curious to try it.

gb387
02-17-2004, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Dale DeSteno

ya know, just the other day someone told me to try using a carpet cleaner on the engine......I gotta say, I am curious to try it.

I have used woolite foam carpet cleaner for cleaning engine and wheel wells. you know it worked quite well, many years ago my father got a case of it and I think it worked better on the engine than the carpet! The "foaming action" really worked well. I was very careful not to get any on the paint, not to sure what it might do.

jchetty
02-17-2004, 11:57 PM
i go to home depot, and they have Zep`s citrus degreaser. i mix 1 to 1 and clean my engine every month and detail w/ 303 every month. it helps if you let your engine warm up a lil`, the degreaser really seems to respond to the heat. I spray the engine with water from water bottles, then spray degreaser. Let the degreaser sit, spray with water, and then use an old sponge to pick up the water and wring out as necessary. For stubborn spots, I look for a nylon brush for the metal surfaces and boars hair for paint.:up

AutoNova
02-23-2004, 03:54 PM
Man I tell you engine cleaning is becoming a real bummer for me. I can`t seem to get the engines sparkling clean no matter what I do and getting to some areas is such a pain in the arse. What are some good tips? I am going to try some of that woolite. I can tell customers are a bit dissapointed when I do the engines as I am. I have been using Showcar red degrreaser which is a decent product but nothing seems to really draw off the grease. I also try not to use a pressure washer.

Scottwax
02-23-2004, 04:09 PM
Greased Lightning`s Orange Blast Degreaser. Great product and your engine will smell nice too!

jasonatv22
02-24-2004, 09:25 AM
When I first got mine and the engine bay was dirty, I used a shop rag and simple green. Now, I keep it sprayed down with AA Foaming Tire Cleaner, the poor man`s Engine Kote. Some may find it a little too shiny. I only wipe the engine when I`m messing with it (oil change, check oil, just feeling like looking at it.)

jchetty
02-24-2004, 01:11 PM
i bought greased lightning degreaser. i read the instructions and decided it was not suitable for my engine. i go back and read this thread and obviously you guys were talking about the orange version, orange blast:angry oh well, i will use it to clean the garage floor. Anyways, scottwax & nozebleed- where do you guys buy it and do u dilute * if so, what do you guys recommend*:xyxthumbs

Scottwax
02-24-2004, 01:20 PM
I use Orange Blast at full strength on engines and cut it 4:1 for floor mats.

jchetty
02-24-2004, 11:29 PM
thanks guys. now i got to get to a bj`s and pick some up. im always looking to try new products.:D