PDA

View Full Version : NXT vs. Z2 vs. Klasse SG Cleaning Test (56K warning)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

BradE
02-16-2004, 05:59 PM
**I`m reposting this from earlier today. The first thread was lost in the outage. Sorry to those who commented before, nothing I can do to bring your posts back. :( Also a special thinks to BW, if he had not saved my post I would have to retype the whole thing! I guess I`ll learn my lesson and start saving important tests to MS Word. ;) **

Hello my fellow Autopians. Since the release of NXT to the general public I`ve been playing around with it, testing all it`s aspects. I decided to test NXT against the two old friends many of use and know well, Zaino Z2 and Klasse SG.

Background: I took a blue sharpie marker and applied 2 lines to the surface of my Maytag dryer. Each product was applied, starting with Klasse SG, then Zaino Z2 and finishing up with Meguiars NXT. I used brand new yellow foam applicators, a separate one for each product of course. I chose this for 2 reasons. One being that it gives each product an "equal" chance in terms of application. The second is the blue marker would show up very easily against the yellow pad should the product remove any of the marker.

Here is the lineup!! From left to right: Meguairs NXT, Zaino Bros. Z2 and finally Klasse Sealant Glaze.

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/651lineup-med.jpg

First up, Klasse!

Klasse Sealant Glaze: To begin, I have my bottle of SG a nice shake and put small drop (a little bigger than the size of a dime) onto the pad and started working it back and fourth in the center of the line. Here`s a pic of the application.

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/651klasse_app-med.jpg

I worked the product 5 strokes back and fourth, applying medium pressure. The final result was Klasse SG didn`t remove any of the blue sharpie marker and the application pad was spotless with no hint of blue. Here`s a pic of the pad and line after application of Klasse SG.

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/651klasse_after-med.jpg

Next up, Zaino Bros Z2!

Zaino Bros. Z2: Once again to begin with Z2 I have the bottle a nice shake, and applied a drop (same size as Klasse SG) to my foam applicator and went to work. I went through the center of the line, working 5 strokes back and fourth with medium pressure as I did with Klasse. A pic of the Z2 application.

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/651z_app-med.jpg

After application I examined the pad and lines. Zaino Bros Z2 did not remove any of the marker, and the pad was spotless, and not trace of the blue marker, just like Klasse. Here`s a pic of the Zaino pad and lines after application.

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/651zaino_after-med.jpg

Last up, Meguiars NXT!

Meguiars NXT Tech Wax: As with the other 2 products I started by giving the NXT bottle a nice healthy shake. Once again, I applied a small drop (same size as Klasse SG and Z2) and applied the product to the center of the lines using medium pressure, just like I did with the other 2 products. I used the same 5 strokes back and fourth. A pic of the NXT application.

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/651nxt_app-med.jpg

After application I examined the pad and lines as I did with the previous products. To my disappointment NXT removed the sharpie marker. The center of the lines were totally removed, and the blue marker is clearly seen on the yellow applicator pad. Here`s a pic of after the application, the lines and the pad.

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/651nxt_after-med.jpg

Well folks, there you have it. In my testing NXT DOES demonstrate cleaning ability. I`m not going to get into how much this effects layering, or if it makes this product a "cleaner type" product, that`s for you to decide. I`m just the moron that did the testing. Ready for flames! :eek:

imported_memnuts
02-16-2004, 06:30 PM
Cool SRL. Did the NXT just remove the indicated area or was the whole line applied NXT? If not lets allow the unremoved portion of the line to cure 24 hrs and see if more magic marker comes off.

This would test layablity upon itself somewhat. We must take in consideration that the bond on a contaminated surface will not be at maximum efficiency.

Will Z2/ZFX have any effect on marker. The reason I ask is because one would never use Z2 alone on a virgin finish. Either Z1 , which we know will remove marker or Z2 with ZFX :nixweiss

Did the SG bond to the marker portion of the finish? If not the usage on a contaminated finish would result in no protection. That is possibly why AIO is available.

Cleaning a marker is not the same as removing a cured sealant.

Another good experiment would be to also allow the SG and Z2 to cure on top of the lines and see if NXT will remove these to products. I.E. test NXT as a LSP enhancing product over these 2 products

Initial data intrepretation is impressive but inconclusive about layability and also about the functionality of the products that did not remove marker. In other words will NXT remove NXT? Zaino? SG?

As I stated, very interesting but incomplete. This is what Autopia is all about. Excellent post:xyxthumbs

BradE
02-16-2004, 06:46 PM
NXT was only applied to the area that it removed. I can`t test if NXT removes itself because it removes the lines when you apply it with ease. The test was not intended to test layering ability, it was for cleaning abilty so I`m not so sure what`s "incomplete" about it. I even stated I wasn`t getting into how this cleaning ability effects layering. NXT clearly has more cleaning ability than Z2 or Klasse SG.

Just for kicks, tomorrow I will apply Z2 mixed with ZFX over 2 lines. This way I don`t have to wait 24 hours. Then apply NXT over that and see if it removes it.

gb387
02-16-2004, 06:53 PM
thanks for the info.

Do the products look as good on a Maytag?:D

Raven
02-16-2004, 06:54 PM
Great post, is it now safe to believe that NXT would remove any polish (like VM) if layered on top of it?

C-MDX
02-16-2004, 07:03 PM
I don`t think SG has any cleaning ability. If so, how can you layer them?

BradE
02-16-2004, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by C-MDX

Ehm, the Klasse SG didn`t remove any of the marker. I didn`t say the SG had any cleaning ability, and nobody else did either. :confused:

bjwebster
02-16-2004, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by C-MDX

:confused: :confused:

C-MDX
02-16-2004, 07:08 PM
OK maybe I was wrong, I didn`t read the whole thing, sorry :D

imported_BretFraz
02-16-2004, 07:12 PM
:up :up :up :up

I love a test where the products speak for themselves.

imported_memnuts
02-16-2004, 07:12 PM
Advance technology. NXT removes surface gunk prior to laying down a polymer protective coating. All in one step. Since Mike P stated that he never use more than 2 coats (for complete coverage) and one achieves a deep, wet and reflective finish after application x 2 on a Prepped surface.... Quite impressive. :bow

That is probably why NXT is so flexible about prep products used and not very finicky about oils and other organic contaminations.

It is your refrigerator ;) but I would still allow 24hrs of Z2/ZFX curing. Why? Which variable failed if the line is removed. ZFX instant curing which has nothing to do with bonding to the paint surface (ZFX accelerates crosslinking not surface adhersion)? Dissolution or disruption of crosslinking of partially Z2/ZFX cured? Or NXT incompatibilty with Z2 cross-linking? 24 hrs would likely rule-out the ZFX question of instant curing and lack of surface adhersion and leave us with the latter 2 conclusions. NXT and Z2 don`t mix :wavey

rstype
02-16-2004, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by blkZ28Conv

Advance technology. NXT removes surface gunk prior to laying down a polymer protective coating. All in one step. Since Mike P stated that he never use more than 2 coats (for complete coverage) and one achieves a deep, wet and reflective finish after application x 2 on a Prepped surface.... Quite impressive. :bow

That is probably why NXT is so flexible about prep products used and not very finicky about oils and other organic contaminations.

It is your refrigerator ;) but I would still allow 24hrs of Z2/ZFX curing. Why? Which variable failed if the line is removed. ZFX instant curing which has nothing to do with bonding to the paint surface (ZFX accelerates crosslinking not surface adhersion)? Dissolution or disruption of crosslinking of partially Z2/ZFX cured? Or NXT incompatibilty with Z2 cross-linking? 24 hrs would likely rule-out the ZFX question of instant curing and lack of surface adhersion and leave use with the later 2 conclusions. NXT and Z2 don`t mix :wavey

I can hardly make sense of what you wrote. Can you please explain? What does NXT and Z2 compatibility or crosslinking have anything to do with NXT containing cleaners? Personally, I think this is an excellent documentation, comparing the relative strength between two other products.

DETAILKING
02-16-2004, 07:19 PM
At least your results agree with mine on my propeller test way back in the day........

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=5248&highlight=propeller

Scottwax
02-16-2004, 07:26 PM
That is probably why Mike said more than two thin layers is wasting product. I don`t remember a specific claim of layering ability with NXT. :nixweiss

I`ve noticed that NXT will remove light tar residue.

jsoto
02-16-2004, 07:26 PM
Still new to this but will cleaners pretty much *clean* whatever NXT is being applied on. If a glaze is used prior to NXT, will this defeat the purpose since the cleaners will remove the glaze anyhow?