PDA

View Full Version : NXT on its own?

imported_SVT4ME
02-12-2004, 11:56 PM
I have two white vehicles, a 2002 Dodge Dakota and a 96 Mustang with new paint. I have no swirls on either but want to add protection. Will just NXT suffice? Im so new to this and there seems to be so many combos! Meguiars recommended MPPP then NXT but I dont see any need for polishing at the moment if I have no paint defects. I dont want to overwhelm myself so early in the game so I am looking for simple combos that work on white.

PS, I have a PC Polisher already and cant wait to get started!

LouisanaJeeper
02-13-2004, 08:38 AM
yes, it can be used alone.

OKCstanger
02-13-2004, 08:52 AM
NXT can definitely be used on it`s on. however, since it`s been termed as a last step product (LSP), and no definitive answer has been decided as to its durability, it`d probably be wise to use something underneath NXT. that is, if you want maximum protection. just my two cents...

togwt
02-13-2004, 09:43 AM
Quote: NXT on its own?

~One mans opinion / observation~

As stated in previous post it can be used on it’s own, you might want to add NXT Spray Wax (a booster wax it’s not a QD)

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect * so i question everything*

imported_BretFraz
02-13-2004, 12:20 PM
Like others have said, NXT is fine on its own.

imported_memnuts
02-13-2004, 01:24 PM
If you do use NXT on its own, please keep a log about your experience. Does it bead or show signs of protection as time passes. Does the surface remain slick and does the appearance last.

That would be great info that we all are interested in for this new product.

Scottwax
02-13-2004, 01:39 PM
I agree it is fine on it`s own, but you might want to use two thin coats as recommended by Mike Phillips for best results.

Post pics and keep us posted on how it holds up.

SRT4
02-17-2004, 05:59 AM
Would it be better to use GC and top it with NXT?

imported_jgv
02-17-2004, 06:26 AM
Gold Class paint cleaner and NXT would be better.

imported_ajbarnes
02-17-2004, 08:01 AM
I agree with the two thin coats method. I`ve tried it myself and it works great.

Newport Viper
02-18-2004, 01:39 AM
I was able to wait 24 hours between coats, came out great!

It is really strange how it looks better the next day.

Anyone care to explain that?

bige818
02-24-2004, 11:06 AM
alright so this is a stupid?( and might I add my first question here) are you putting the second layer on without taking the first layer off, as in put nxt on wait 12 hours take off then put on again or put on wait 12 hours and put another coat on?

tnoy66
02-24-2004, 11:18 AM
bige818, that is not a stupid question. I am going to answer this without having used it.

I would apply the first layer, leave it 15 - 20 minutes as directed and then buff off. The following day (ideally 24 hrs) I would apply the 2nd layer, leave 15 - 20 minutes and then buff off again.

Then go grab a cold beer and admire your handywork :)

Oh yea, :welcome to autopia

AndyC
02-25-2004, 07:35 AM
I slung a quick coat of NXT on my car last weekend to go to a rolling road day with the owners club I belong to. I`d already clayed the car and started to PC the bonnet but obviously didn`t want to take it out of the garage with no protection on the paint.

The NXT did a real nice job IMO. The bonnet looked real slick and it managed to hide 1 or 2 minor swirls. All I wanted it to do was provide some basic protection for me. Car won`t (if I can help it) be used in the rain - it`s going to be a real garage queen!

I`ve NXT`d mine & GF`s daily drivers. Hers I prepped with VMW first, applied a coat of NXT then a second straight on after 15-20 minutes then waited a further 15 mins and buffed the whole lot off. Nice result and worked nicer still with P21S wax on top. I`ve not PC`d her car yet as it needs some bodywork repairs but once it`s done I plan to spend some serious time on it.

I did a similar routine on my daily driver although I`d done a lot of PC polishing first and I applied the NXT with my PC too then topped with Collinite - hasn`t been washed in 2 weeks and it`s filthy but still looks OK.

Pics will be posted soon - promise!

Interestingly, Megs UK say they wouldn`t advise using 2 layers of NXT at all as it`s a waste of time & product. Never mind - I like the results I`ve got so far with this method but I`m still on the learning curve of trying out a lot of products & combos to see which works best for me.