PDA

View Full Version : Long term sealant testing

Pages : [1] 2

Scottwax
02-12-2004, 06:28 PM
I`ve been testing some sealants to see how long they last for me. We get no acid rain or industial fallout in the Dallas area, so how this applies to those of you who do, I can`t answer.

I`ve been trying both Klasse AIO/SG (and to a lesser extent, UPP) and Poorboy`s PwC (or VM) and Poorboy`s EX Sealant.

I won`t get into ease of use or appearance, other than to say neither is hard to work with and both have a very nice look. My main focus in on durability.

Poorboy`s:

Two vehicles, one a 2002 white Tahoe that was last waxed on October 25, 2003 using PwC and EX. This vehicle, despite the owner having a 3 car garage (workout equipment, motorcycles and his Mercedes stay in there) sits outside at night and is in a parking garage in the daytime. I wash it about every 4-6 weeks, the rest of the time, they take it through the touchless at the gas station or have it washed at a full service car wash. I last washed it this past Saturday, Febuary 7th, 2004 and it was still beading very well and had noticable slickness to the touch. I mentioned to my customer that it had been since around November 1st (couldn`t remember the exact date) since it was waxed last and he said not to worry about it since when it rained earlier that week, it was beading still. Go a day past 3 months on the Mercedes though.... ;)

The other is a 2000 red Ford Expidition that was last waxed using PwC and EX on December 4, 2003. The vehicle is used on an 80 mile commute about 2-3 times a week (he offices mostly out of his home) and was driven down to his deer lease 3-4 times this season. I wash it about 3 times a month on average. Garage kept at night. Washed it today (Febuary 12, 2004) and it was beading nicely and the paint was still slick.

----------------------------------

Klasse AIO/SG:

I didn`t get the Klasse twins until December and have already used NXT on one of the vehicles I was using for durability testing....sorry, sue me. I couldn`t wait to try something new on black.

Anyway, I applied AIO/SG x 1 using the Bill North method on December 20, 2003 on a black 2003 BMW X5. This X5 is outside at night about half the time since the garage they added on is a real tight squeeze (original garage is a playroom.....go figure, they have a black X5 and S500). No long trips in it, mostly driven around taking kids to school, soccer practice, etc. I wash it pretty much every week. When I washed it on Saturday (Febuary 7th...same neighborhood as the Tahoe`s owner), the paint was beading like mad (I thought Klasse was supposed to sheet? Maybe QEW wash just beads when used?) and felt nearly as slick as when I first applied it.

------------------------------------

So far, PwC and Poorboys seems to have decent durability and retains a nice appearance, even nearly 4 months after application. AIO/SG after 7 weeks is holding up very well. Paint is still very reflective and slick. I`ll revisit this thread every few weeks with updates.

imported_memnuts
02-12-2004, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Scottwax

I`ve been testing some sealants to see how long they last for me. We get no acid rain or industial fallout in the Dallas area, so how this applies to those of you who do, I can`t answer.

I`ve been trying both Klasse AIO/SG (and to a lesser extent, UPP) and Poorboy`s PwC (or VM) and Poorboy`s EX Sealant.

I won`t get into ease of use or appearance, other than to say neither is hard to work with and both have a very nice look. My main focus in on durability.

Poorboy`s:

Two vehicles, one a 2002 white Tahoe that was last waxed on October 25, 2003 using PwC and EX. This vehicle, despite the owner having a 3 car garage (workout equipment, motorcycles and his Mercedes stay in there) sits outside at night and is in a parking garage in the daytime. I wash it about every 4-6 weeks, the rest of the time, they take it through the touchless at the gas station or have it washed at a full service car wash. I last washed it this past Saturday, Febuary 7th, 2004 and it was still beading very well and had noticable slickness to the touch. I mentioned to my customer that it had been since around November 1st (couldn`t remember the exact date) since it was waxed last and he said not to worry about it since when it rained earlier that week, it was beading still. Go a day past 3 months on the Mercedes though.... ;)

The other is a 2000 red Ford Expidition that was last waxed using PwC and EX on December 4, 2002. The vehicle is used on an 80 mile commute about 2-3 times a week (he offices mostly out of his home) and was driven down to his deer lease 3-4 times this season. I wash it about 3 times a month on average. Garage kept at night. Washed it today (Febuary 12, 2004) and it was beading nicely and the paint was still slick.

----------------------------------

Klasse AIO/SG:

I didn`t get the Klasse twins until December and have already used NXT on one of the vehicles I was using for durability testing....sorry, sue me. I couldn`t wait to try something new on black.

Anyway, I applied AIO/SG x 1 using the Bill North method on December 20, 2003 on a black 2003 BMW X5. This X5 is outside at night about half the time since the garage they added on is a real tight squeeze (original garage is a playroom.....go figure, they have a black X5 and S500). No long trips in it, mostly driven around taking kids to school, soccer practice, etc. I wash it pretty much every week. When I washed it on Saturday (Febuary 7th...same neighborhood as the Tahoe`s owner), the paint was beading like mad (I thought Klasse was supposed to sheet? Maybe QEW wash just beads when used?) and felt nearly as slick as when I first applied it.

------------------------------------

So far, PwC and Poorboys seems to have decent durability and retains a nice appearance, even nearly 4 months after application. AIO/SG after 7 weeks is holding up very well. Paint is still very reflective and slick. I`ll revisit this thread every few weeks with updates.

This is the type of review we should be searching for. A factual explaination of a product`s or products` performance.

Nice post Scott. :bow

Alexaris
02-12-2004, 06:59 PM
Scott

Nice write up, keep the good work and keep us posted.

Thanks to you in a couple of weeks Im going to try the new combo

AIO-UPPX3-NXTX2 on a black volvo and try to see the difference between this and my audi, that has

AIO-KSGX3-NXTX2

imported_NHBFAN
02-13-2004, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by Scottwax

The other is a 2000 red Ford Expidition that was last waxed using PwC and EX on December 4, 2002.

Scottwax,

You had me scratching my head for a second there:confused: until I realized it was a typo.

You meant December 4, 2003 ... right?

imported_Dave Holmes
02-13-2004, 01:31 AM
If it was indeed last waxed on December 4, 2002 and still beads, I`m switching to PwC and EX!

Scott, like others have said, this is the type of review we need.

Dave

madazskunk
02-13-2004, 02:43 AM
On the tahoe that goes through the touchless do they get the wax job from the touchless and if so how do you think that prolongs the durability of the ex.

Scottwax
02-13-2004, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by NHBFAN

Scottwax,

You had me scratching my head for a second there:confused: until I realized it was a typo.

You meant December 4, 2003 ... right?

:doh Yeah, 12-4-03! And it is an Excursion, not an Expidition. That is what I get for trying to multi-task!

Scottwax
02-13-2004, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by madazskunk

On the tahoe that goes through the touchless do they get the wax job from the touchless and if so how do you think that prolongs the durability of the ex.

I don`t know if they get the wax option but my own experience is that it may made a vehicle bead the next time it rains, it has no effect on paint slickness. If anything, air drying as opposed to towel drying makes paint less slick. It hadn`t been washed for about 2-3 weeks when I washed it last weekend though.

I`ll have to ask if they get the cheapie wash or the full service with....ahem....wax.

LDPaul
02-13-2004, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the write up Scott. My main products are Meguiars, P21S, and Clearkote. I am thinking about adding one more line. I was thinking of Poorboys or Pinnacle. Try to stay warm with this winter weather moving into the Dallas area.

Scottwax
02-13-2004, 12:28 PM
Rick-based on my experience with Poorboys, I`d go with that as your sealant option. Pinnacle is a great line if you want to offer a high end carnauba option also.

Everyone cancelled for today. Even the marketing director for KSCS who wanted a spot today if I had any cancellations....according to weather radar, preciptitation is less than 100 miles from us now and I told him I couldn`t promise that I could finish before his car got wet. :( Next week looks dry, probably work sun up to sun down all week.

Alexaris
02-13-2004, 12:37 PM
I know your pain Scott, I have the same problem right now, to much humidity the hole week, no customers, the weather in south texas is almost the same as here

tom p.
02-13-2004, 12:39 PM
it`s good news and bad news...think how busy yer gonna be next week!

it`s been rough here. The guys are still trying to get our pkg lot cleared:

Scottwax
02-13-2004, 01:15 PM
BTW, here are pics of each vehicle after using the products on them:

2003 BMW X5, Klasse twins:

http://www.photohost.org/gallery/data/500/10992003_X5_rear.jpg

http://www.photohost.org/gallery/data/500/10992003_X5.jpg

The 1999 (or 2000? I forget the first year designation) Excursion. Pooroby`s PwC and EX:

http://www.photohost.org/gallery/data/500/10991999_Ford_Excursion.jpg

2002 Tahoe, Clearkote`s Vanilla Moose and Poorboy`s EX....sorry, I thought I had used PwC, but I rechecked my records and it was Vanilla Moose. :doh:

....they say that memory is the first to go... :(

http://www.photohost.org/gallery/data/500/10992002_Tahoe_rear.jpg

imported_edschwab1
02-13-2004, 05:05 PM
Thank you for the review.

I see you are getting cold weather and snow. We could send you some IFO and Acid rain, if you want.

Eric

imported_NHBFAN
02-13-2004, 10:13 PM
Scottwax,

Fantastic work as usual!

A few questions:

1) On large SUVs don`t you think VM is a good first step? With so much "glass area" you can hit the glass and the finish with the same applicator ... it`s a quick process.

2) On the Black X5 were you tempted to top with S100 or CMW? Don`t get me wrong, it looks great! But I know, like myself, you`re a fan of carnubas. Also, did you use AIO on the exterior windows, or VM?

3) Did you use QDs as a final step on any of these examples? If so, which QDs with which combos?