PDA

View Full Version : Detailing police cars.

jimtriz
02-12-2004, 11:35 AM
I am working on a deal where I can detail the police cars for my local PD. I live in a small town so there are only 5, but I hope to have them on a maintenence shcedule where they will be done several times a year. My question is this, are there any special precautions regarding the decals and emblems, letters/numbers on the sides of police cars? Is there any chance of damaging them with the PC and SMR, or AIO? I`ve never done a vehicle with decals or such on the sides and I would hate to make my first mistake with the police chief`s car!! Thanks all for your help.

ZaneO
02-12-2004, 12:52 PM
I would stay off the decals with a buffer, but other than that, it shoud be like any other VERY dirty car :)

imported_kgb
02-12-2004, 01:01 PM
I went over these decals with a buffer with no problems...it depends on the quality of the decals and the install fo them though. http://www.danase.com/gallery/album05 I used Poorboy`s Products on this car and they did not stain the decal at all.

Kleanride
02-12-2004, 01:05 PM
I have a SUPER cool picture of me and my former partner detailing a cop car....if I can dig it up, I gotta post it.

I think when I did that one, I used Wizards Shine Master, which is similar to AIO, with no problems whatsoever.

Have fun, police cars can attract a lot of attention! (theres no bad publicity!)

togwt
02-12-2004, 02:04 PM
Let us know what you used to remove the donut jam stains from the carpets?;)

imported_kgb
02-12-2004, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by TOGWT

Let us know what you used to remove the donut jam stains from the carpets?;)

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

jimtriz
02-12-2004, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the tips so far. TOGWT, that`s a good one!!! I`ll probably have tough time getting up all the German Shepard hair from the K9 unit too!!!

imported_COBRyan
02-12-2004, 02:15 PM
Have fun cleaning the urine and blood from the back seats where the arrested people sit :(

imported_kgb
02-12-2004, 02:16 PM
You better wear soem rubber gloves!

NEW AGAIN
02-12-2004, 04:16 PM
I would only clay ONLY the hood, roof, trunklid and top of bumpers

AIO topped with a good paste wax should work great just don`t forget to clean the edges of the decal with a good detail horse hair brush.

imported_kgb
02-12-2004, 04:21 PM
Oh, another thing to do is hit the top lights with a polish! I hate when our cop lights are all yellowish and hazy!

Scottwax
02-12-2004, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by COBRyan

Have fun cleaning the urine and blood from the back seats where the arrested people sit :(

You forgot vomit. ;)

The back of police cars can be pretty nasty...:shocked

I`ve done cars for a security firm in the past and I just used a cleaner wax on their cars (which was all they wanted to pay for) and I had no problems with the decals. I would suggest using a PC instead of a rotary on the decals though.

Detailing NY
02-12-2004, 06:00 PM
One thing i can tell you is make sure you wear heavy latex gloves.

When i worked for NYPD, you never knew what you would find the back seat.

Blood, vomit, NEEDLES, if they can hide it in the car they will.

As for the labels you can go right over them with the pc.

As for the K9 unit, the best way to clean the dog hair is tape. sometimes you can sit there trying to vacumm up the hair and it

takes forever. But you can get a role of masking tape, just stick it on the floor & seats and pull up.

LouisanaJeeper
02-12-2004, 06:32 PM
I couldn`t possibly seeing the the department shell out much $$$ for details. What level of detail are they paying for?

jimtriz
02-12-2004, 08:07 PM
As I said before, this is a small town were talkin about...Right now their level of detailing is to have a high school student wash them about twice a year. I`m sure we`re only talking about the basics here, as Scottwax said, it`s all they`re willing to pay for. I`m maily in it for the exposure (no dirty jokes please...) and I hate to see dirty cars, especially ones I`m payin for with my tax dollars!!! It`s that autopian disease, see a dirty vehicle and I just have to do something about it. Thanks again for everyones help.